Justin Matamua #259

Wests Tigers is pleased to announce that Justin Matamua has been elevated to the club’s Top-30 playing roster as part of a contract extension.
Matamua at Leichhardt Oval after NRL debut against Parramatta Eels
The Campbelltown junior signed a two-year deal in February, which included a development contract for 2023.
The new deal moves Matamua into the top tier immediately and extends his stay at the club until at least the end of 2025.

The 19-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 17 this year against Parramatta Eels, capping a rapid rise through the club’s pathways program.
Matamua says he’s delighted to be fast tracked into the Top-30.
“Making my NRL debut was a dream come true and being added to the top squad is another special moment,” he said.
“Right now, I’m just looking forward to next season but it’s great to know I’m here long term.”
Matamua on debut vs Eels in Round 17, 2022
Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says Matamua has been rewarded for continued hard work.
“Justin has really applied himself over the past few years and it’s been a pleasure to watch his progression,” said Pascoe.

Head coach Tim Sheens says Matamua is a great example for other aspiring local juniors.

“He has moved swiftly through our representative teams, playing Harold Matthews (U/17s) only a year or two ago.
“It shows that our development plans are working well. I look forward to coaching Justin over the next couple of years.”

So he's off Development deal, And we had an option for 2025 anyway....
Weird move by the club.

Essentially just a pay rise for him and a top 30 spot for next year?

Also leaves us with 1 less spot in top 30 and only 3 Train and Trialists
Reading that was music to my ears. They wouldn't be upgrading him if he wasn't impressing the staff.

I wish we had the foresight to upgrade and extend Tedesco a few years ago.

I'm definitely not saying Matamua is anywhere near the calibre of player Tedesco is, but I hope he turns out to be a gem.

very happy to see Matamua given a top 30 deal. didn't make sense that he debuted last year and then was relegated back to development. fingers crossed he has a huge pre-season and finds his way into the side on a regular basis by the end of the year.

very happy to see Matamua given a top 30 deal. didn't make sense that he debuted last year and then was relegated back to development. fingers crossed he has a huge pre-season and finds his way into the side on a regular basis by the end of the year.
Totally off topic. jrtiger who is your profile pic? Gareth Ellis perhaps?

Man now that was a damn awesome forward.

Totally off topic. jrtiger who is your profile pic? Gareth Ellis perhaps?

Man now that was a damn awesome forward.
haha yeah mate, the big man Gaz. probably my favourite all time Wests Tiger.

swinging it back on topic, being from the south-west Matamua is a guy I've watched closely these past few years. may well end up one of my favourite all-time players if he continues his upward trajectory. nothing better than seeing local boys on the same pathway you were on as a kid make it big.

Weird move by the club.

Reading between the lines it could indicate we only have 1 more inbound for 23 at this point unless someone exists mixed with a view he will get more NRL time in 23 & this removes the poachers from hitting him up. It would free up another development deal as well for another kid.

Wests Tigers is pleased to announce that Justin Matamua has been elevated to the club’s Top-30 playing roster as part of a contract extension.
Matamua at Leichhardt Oval after NRL debut against Parramatta Eels
The Campbelltown junior signed a two-year deal in February, which included a development contract for 2023.
The new deal moves Matamua into the top tier immediately and extends his stay at the club until at least the end of 2025.

The 19-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 17 this year against Parramatta Eels, capping a rapid rise through the club’s pathways program.
Matamua says he’s delighted to be fast tracked into the Top-30.
“Making my NRL debut was a dream come true and being added to the top squad is another special moment,” he said.
“Right now, I’m just looking forward to next season but it’s great to know I’m here long term.”
Matamua on debut vs Eels in Round 17, 2022
Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says Matamua has been rewarded for continued hard work.
“Justin has really applied himself over the past few years and it’s been a pleasure to watch his progression,” said Pascoe.

Head coach Tim Sheens says Matamua is a great example for other aspiring local juniors.

“He has moved swiftly through our representative teams, playing Harold Matthews (U/17s) only a year or two ago.
“It shows that our development plans are working well. I look forward to coaching Justin over the next couple of years.”

Weird move by the club.

Maybe a change of plans brought about by Bateman possibly not coming. Just a thought.

Back