Justin Olam #281

I hope your right, but I wouldn't say no way. IMO Fijians and PNG players can lose confidence when hit the way they hit others.

I can't remember who hit Sivo, but I remember he got hammered once and he has been a shadow of himself since.

I'm really hoping that Olam had a back issue and got pissed when his rehab didn't go as he wanted. If that is the case, we may land on our feet with a fit and fresh Justin. I'm doubtful though.
I hear your point Sirro and I can't remember if it was you or another that pinpointed a form drop from round 10 when Olam was hit heavily by a Manly player... Okunbur I think..

We need to solve this. Like honestly, there were several games where our entire team did a form drop from being hit. Us vs Sharks in the first half it was neck n neck. Second half after a few heavy hits the sharks run away with the game.

Something an Easts or Manly Phys trainer said "hey the physical is tough, but we like the Physical!". It's psych.

The Tigers need to start liking the physical. Getting in and having a bash, I only see this in us vs Parra. We need to coach this in and have the right mindset.

Olam and Luai further proof that the Tigers brand is not damaged beyond repair. I’m not sure Olam is the attacking weapon we need to unlock a lot more points in 2024 but he’s potentially another reason that elite players would come here beyond 2024. Our senior playing group has improved a lot since Sheens came along, from a point where we had 5 unqualified captains not so long ago. Good luck at WT, hopefully he brings some of Belly aches famous culture.

I can see it now…both Nofo and Olam racing out of the line and try’s galore
I have a horrible vision of Olam standing round looking left looking right confused and wondering wtf he got himself into when no one knows what's going on... Recurring nightmare from Days of Brooks

I hope this is a fairy tale signing, but I just can't see it. Olam's best year was in 2021 and his supporting cast was Hynes, Pap, Smith, Carr, and Munster.
2025 his supporting cast will be Bud/Fainu/Galv for Hynes, Bula for Paps, plus we already have a Paps, Alpi for Smith, a new Ferrari for a busted Carr (obvious), and Luai for Herman. I don’t know much about acting but that’s not to bad? Maybe we should do a remake of Tiger Tails? Do ya reckon Benji can handle Madges part, but most importantly who’s gunna play Ronnie?

I have a horrible vision of Olam standing round looking left looking right confused and wondering wtf he got himself into when no one knows what's going on... Recurring nightmare from Days of Brooks
Cmon.

You mean to say that a Center at Melbourne who has had melbourne positioning coached into him... Won't know where to line up?

The only reason why Olam is looking around is that he would expect his winger to be in place. He isn't a halfback, he ain't managing the line but he will expect his outside man (winger) and inside man (half/2nd rower/5/8) to be in position.

Which is exactly why filling our backline with Juniors and wondering why our defense sucks hasn't worked. The Juniors don't know where they are meant to go.

Likewise halfback. The more you DUMP on your halfback the more stuff they do poorly!
Look at Nathan Cleary, Ivan gave him minimal work at Penrith. Early on I honestly just thought it was kicking duties.
Dump less on the Halfback and see things work.

Experience center going "hey coach, our guys are out of place and that will make defense hard" is exactly what we need.

Cmon.

You mean to say that a Center at Melbourne who has had melbourne positioning coached into him... Won't know where to line up?

The only reason why Olam is looking around is that he would expect his winger to be in place. He isn't a halfback, he ain't managing the line but he will expect his outside man (winger) and inside man (half/2nd rower/5/8) to be in position.

Which is exactly why filling our backline with Juniors and wondering why our defense sucks hasn't worked. The Juniors don't know where they are meant to go.

Likewise halfback. The more you DUMP on your halfback the more stuff they do poorly!
Look at Nathan Cleary, Ivan gave him minimal work at Penrith. Early on I honestly just thought it was kicking duties.
Dump less on the Halfback and see things work.

Experience center going "hey coach, our guys are out of place and that will make defense hard" is exactly what we need.
What I'm referring to is what we saw previously when none of the outside backs knew what play was coming due to lost halves for a few tackles in a row.... It wasn't always the case but very evident when it did occur.
I'm hoping our new halves are always one or two steps ahead which is where they need to be

Expecting Leilua 2.0
Hoping for Whatuira 2.0
I don’t think BJ would ever say that he was looking forward to putting the hard work in and winning the trust of his coaches and teammates as his quote in the press release. Obviously needs to be proved but I do rate the attitude.

With such a young squad, I would think Benji looks at off-field influence as much as on-field performance. I think it’s a good signing.

We can hope he goes well and the Storm as a team don't. Has Munster peaked and is now on the downhill? Papenhuyzen coming back from a second serious injury - will he be the same player? There are lots of questions which the Storm will have to answer.
Gee the bloke hasn’t even pulled a shirt on and people on here are dragging him done on the field and off it . How about everyone just let his on field efforts create the headlines , if he’s shit then there’s plenty of time to write crap about him , untill then how about we get behind him and any other players who pulls our jumper on

Gee the bloke hasn’t even pulled a shirt on and people on here are dragging him done on the field and off it . How about everyone just let his on field efforts create the headlines , if he’s shit then there’s plenty of time to write crap about him , untill then how about we get behind him and any other players who pulls our jumper on
I have been supportive of Blore so are you referring to other forum members?

What I'm referring to is what we saw previously when none of the outside backs knew what play was coming due to lost halves for a few tackles in a row.... It wasn't always the case but very evident when it did occur.
I'm hoping our new halves are always one or two steps ahead which is where they need to be
Yea, we saw some really lost sets and plenty of times with both halves coming up with Nothing.

When the halves have too much to do, they can't concentrate. Sure, Johns/Cronk/etc can work it out. Get the Center to move in, winger to move out and then think where the gaps are and know which gap to take.

Sullivan/Sezer, less so.
Sezer will add some structure, Sullivan may be able to spot gaps and start giving the ball to those who can run through gaps....

Olam= GAP HUNTER!

If Olam is injury free he will play more 1st grade games than Blore. If thats the case its a win for us. Its probably in the later years where Blore would play more games than a fit Olam.
Just my thinking
Testing----Don't think too hard; it may be deleted?

Olam is a perfect fit for us at this current stage.
He will help develop some of the younger players and add that aggression we lack.

People are worried about his salary and the 3rd year. All accounts the Storm are paying some for 2 years and maybe we worked this to pay him extra in 24 (when we have cap space) so it won't be a bigger hit in 26. No one knows but TBF we have not pay overs for quite a while now unlike the old days so I trust the powers.

I say give him a chance before writing him off as he might be an outstanding pick up..

People are worried about his salary and the 3rd year. All accounts the Storm are paying some for 2 years and maybe we worked this to pay him extra in 24
That’s one I thing I couldn’t care less about. One thing I never put stock in is how much players make. Idk why anyone does. It’s not our money.

That’s one I thing I couldn’t care less about. One thing I never put stock in is how much players make. Idk why anyone does. It’s not our money.
From a supporter point of view if you want the club you support to be successful, what players are getting paid is important as this determines whether or not there is enough Salary Cap space to have a solid all round playing roster.

Yea, we saw some really lost sets and plenty of times with both halves coming up with Nothing.

When the halves have too much to do, they can't concentrate. Sure, Johns/Cronk/etc can work it out. Get the Center to move in, winger to move out and then think where the gaps are and know which gap to take.

Sullivan/Sezer, less so.
Sezer will add some structure, Sullivan may be able to spot gaps and start giving the ball to those who can run through gaps....

Olam= GAP HUNTER!
Everything is a speculation until we see how the team works with the new people/structures.
It is important that they have confidence in their ability, and the game will slow down for them, and it will become easier.
Anyhow, with L Fainu, Sullivan, and Sezar, we made a significant step forward from that rotten mediocracy of the post-Marshall/Lui/Farah era.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back