Kelly Barnes 23

Wow , just wow
can’t believe this club can dish out this stuff
Bulla , Yes Rookie
but to get all those awards is a slap in the face to Appi
club needs to really clean its self out , what a fking joke and embarrassment
if this is Benji we are in deep shit , I can see more Players wanting to leave after this .I think he was just average for first grade , Pole for example been great but no Tim Sheens shit
Benji will last 2024 only just
2025 guys get ready for your NEW COACH

We had a couple of guys this year who put in every game and busted their rings to get us on top in games.
Spoiler alert: none of them were our pussy backline players.
Api was the obvious standout and it was a little surprising. Not surprising due to his form - he’d just won another premiership - but because he didn’t seem fully on board with us. He publicly mocked us in Penrith after the GF and Im sure I read he was hesitant to be the team’s captain. He also started slowly.

That all said, he was easily our best this year and no one came close. His commitment was outstanding, coming back early from a smashed jaw and he was our only point of attack in many games. I’d even suggest we manage just the one win (Cowboys) this season without him. He is one of the very very few who can spend their money knowing they earned it.

I hope loading Bula up with all these awards is our attempt to keep him here and not people’s honest opinions of our MVP this year. We’ll see I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hype around him. A very quiet, polite and grounded young man.
Not judging his character. More concerned about unrealistic expectations that fans place on a young player after he has played a couple of good games. Best rookie for sure. Api was out best player by a country mile and should have been rewarded for it imo.

This club will never be a real threat if it keeps dishing up this crap
Bulla for Rookie I have no issue
but to give him all those awards stinks , and this is not on him
Appi was with out doubt the best
Pole was also very very good overall
I just can’t understand the reasons to do what Has just been done
Bulla is not our best , not even close , his last game was a shocker
if this means we keep him god help us as they have no idea how we can get better going forward ,Benji ffk sake stand up and get on Wayne’s or Bellamy’s style or you will be done pretty quick

Not judging his character. More concerned about unrealistic expectations that fans place on a young player after he has played a couple of good games. Best rookie for sure. Api was out best player by a country mile and should have been rewarded for it imo.
I agree as well

Even when it is such an easy decision for our club we still stuff it up.

Bula was a great rookie and maybe player’s player if the team feels that way, however API was by far our best player in a poor season and should have won it.

That said Joffa got it last year and we know how that went….

Im sure this will hit the media and another reason to bash the club for disrespecting Api.

I think I remember there was backlash on the way this worked either last year or the year before. Maybe when Laurie won it while missing a big chunk of the season? Obviously hasn’t been fixed.

Don’t mean to sound disrespectful to anyone but..
Now I understand why we lose so many Kelly Barnes award recipients. Are the awards given out on a needs basis rather than the player who earned it?
Api played 21 games to Bula’s 18. Both were worthy recipients and both played in all 4 wins. I don’t want to lose either of those two, especially the player who hasn’t achieved anywhere near his full potential.

I wonder whether he picks up a 2nd tier deal with Solomone coming through the ranks. Can't imagine him getting a Top 30 gig anywhere in the NRL next year.
Yeah true. Given his family involvement at the WT & if he doesn't get a T&T deal elsewhere, a NSW Cup contract may be on the cards.

Im sure this will hit the media and another reason to bash the club for disrespecting Api.

I think I remember there was backlash on the way this worked either last year or the year before. Maybe when Laurie won it while missing a big chunk of the season? Obviously hasn’t been fixed.
It was when Brooks got given it when he was Gash and the media had a field day

Everyone getting a bit over excited about individual awards for potentially the only club in history to come dead last one year and actually go worse the following year.
I agree Api was by far our best player, but for a bloke who has basically done it all, this year would feature as possibly his worst season in the NRL and for someone of his calibre, to captain the side to 4 wins for the year is just not good enough.
Bula came into the side and instantly we looked a better team. The commentary from the club was that he is highlighted every week in the video sessions as making the best effort plays.
You can argue that Api was first but you can't argue that it wasn't a two horse race.
At the end of the day most players would not covet an award like this in a team so unsuccessful. It's nice recognition for a young bloke that played his guts out until the final whistle, nothing more.

Embarrassing decision. They're obviously
scared of losing him. Give him rookie of the
year but Kelly Barnes medal is Embarrassing.
Api has carried us all year, zero recognition.
Such a slack decision to give Bula all 3
Kelly Barnes medal seems to have a lot of politics involved. See the 2019 recipient, Luke Brooks. Sure he had a decent year, but Ryan Matterson was clearly the best player in that team. They didn't give him it because of the drama he was stirring.

Only WT's can be that stupid.... seriously, last straw (almost....:cry:)

Members online

Back