Kelly Barnes 23

Embarrassing decision. They're obviously
scared of losing him. Give him rookie of the
year but Kelly Barnes medal is Embarrassing.
Api has carried us all year, zero recognition.
Such a slack decision to give Bula all 3
I doubt it’s because they are scared to lose him. Giving him all these awards would only drive his price tag up. But there are definitely other factors at play.

What those reasons are, who knows. Just look last year, if Offa really was considered our best player last year, would they have really moved him on?

I doubt it’s because they are scared to lose him. Giving him all these awards would only drive his price tag up. But there are definitely other factors at play.

Yep, absolutely, but there are politics involved
also as you and old mate mentioned earlier.
"scared to lose him" was a bad choice of words -
the call would have been made with retention
& extension on the club's mind though. It's such
a sentimental award, best player, recognised
in front of everyone at the end or the season.
It's huge. He took home all 3 man, debut year,
huge pressure. Benji probably made a coaches
call in that last round of voting. Api & Bula were
both on equal points going into the Manly game
only 4 Bula (who like Tucker said didn't play well)
to pip him by a point. Don't want to make a big
deal of it but Api deserved the KBM more than
anyone, the thank you. Bula might yet still win
NRL rookie of the year too. Huge pressure for
his sophmore year and on the club to resign
him if we don't compete for the 8 next year...

Last edited:
Kelly Barnes medal seems to have a lot of politics involved. See the 2019 recipient, Luke Brooks. Sure he had a decent year, but Ryan Matterson was clearly the best player in that team. They didn't give him it because of the drama he was stirring.
I think there was the Harry Grant year as well. This one takes the cake though.

Embarassing club.

What those reasons are, who knows. Just look last year, if Offa really was considered our best player last year, would they have really moved him on?

I hear what you're saying but different set of
circumstances than last year. Was our 1st spoon
and we were terrible all year. Joffa embodied
what we wanted to become as a club moving
forward, tough and uncompromising. He was
also genuinely our best player bar none I think

Don't get why everyones getting so worked up about Bula winning? If anything probably gives him a massive confidence boost & only fuels his drive to get better.
People are not happy due to the fact it is wrong , API by far was better and in the last round if both were equal on points Api wins , Bulla was crap last game no points for him , API played well and again out of position , points for him even 1 point he wins it , Rubbish call , Rookie yes no problem

Don't get why everyones getting so worked up about Bula winning? If anything probably gives him a massive confidence boost & only fuels his drive to get better.

He'll probably win NRL rookie of the year too.
Massive pressure on him in his 2nd year when
teams are aware of him. Also if we have 1 more
shit season he would probably want to leave
knowing his value moving forward. Api busted
his gut 4 the club 2, deserved the recognition.

Even when it is such an easy decision for our club we still stuff it up.

Bula was a great rookie and maybe player’s player if the team feels that way, however API was by far our best player in a poor season and should have won it.

That said Joffa got it last year and we know how that went….
Based on that we release Bula middle of next season because Parra-sites want to put Gutho in the centres and they want Bula as their X factor full back.

Nah, just kidding, we actually release Api because Parra-sites need a #9.

Yup, easy decision for this club. F*@&$!@# Clowns. 🤡

Parra-sites response: Why not both?

Based on that we release Bula middle of next season because Parra-sites want to put Gutho in the centres and they want Bula as their X factor full back.

Nah, just kidding, we actually release Api because Parra-sites need a #9.

Yup, easy decision for this club. F*@&$!@# Clowns. 🤡

Parra-sites response: Why not both?

Nah bro, congrats to Bula. We'll go good guns
next yr and extend Bula don't stress haha.
Api has already extended with us, they're not
going anywhere. Like Demps says only way is up

Benji, Sheens, Danny Stapleton.
It seems that many on here are mystified as to how Api misses the top award.

To put it quite simply, if Benji and Sheens were responsible for awarding the points each game, then no one should be surprised at some of the team lists that were released on Tuesday afternoon.

I do wonder if Api may have ASKED Benji to give it to Bula? He would have known it was close, and as the only genuine leader we have at the club it really seems like something he might do. The confidence boost to Bula would be huge. Just a thought. And I'm sure the voting would have already been done for the players player and no one else was even close for the rookie award. I don't have any inside info. Just trying to make light of it like the rest of you.
Api has 3 grandfinal rings, I'm sure the KB medal doesn't rank as high on his list of priorities as helping lift the team for next year.

Whilst I agree Api should have won, I think it is more the system broken than straight up terrible judgement. Every game that Bula played well in he was probably the best on ground. Api was always in the top 4 or 5 but imo not often the best in any one game. All those 3 point games to Api's 1 or just missing out on a point add up.
Having said that Bula for 3 points in the final game as the clincher is a joke. Wasn't worthy of 1.

Did they do a tribute & thank you to Tim Sheens last night does anyone know?

I hope so & hopefully a nice tribute on the club website now that he has finished up.

Latest posts

Back