Ken Maumalo #246

@balmain-boy said in [Ken Maumalo Appreciation Thread](/post/1458561) said:
@lukic said in [Ken Maumalo Appreciation Thread](/post/1458398) said:
I'd class him as good not great. I don't think Daniel Tupou is any better than him, yet Tupou seems to get tons of praise and Maumalo not so much.

He might not be a game breaking talent on the wing like Addo-Carr, but he scores the ones he should, stops the ones he should and makes good yardage out of our own end.

An astute piece of business from the club.

The difference with Tupou is he's faster, less error prone and a better defender.

It helps having a world class centre in manu next to u as well

@kazoo-kid said in [Ken Maumalo Appreciation Thread](/post/1458374) said:
@momo_amp_medo said in [Ken Maumalo Appreciation Thread](/post/1458367) said:
He is a great acquisition for the club.
Was always impressed with his game in the past so for me ….. no surprises there.

Struggled a bit last year for pace. Didn't look like his heart was in it. Warriors would be a hard team to follow, maybe even harder than ours. They can have good players, good squads, and still do nothing. First they blamed the coach, then they blamed Shaun Johnson (the halfback), then they blamed the CEO. All of those guys are gone, yet they still can't get it done. Sounds familiar.

Yet to win a premiership.

took Ken a couple weeks, but he's been sensational ever since. certainly not worried about our left wing going forward. will be even better with a pre-season with the team.

@cultured_bogan said in [Ken Maumalo Appreciation Thread](/post/1458641) said:
Outscoring Nofo if you take into account his Warriors games. 15 v 13.

not hard. Nofo's been horrendous this year. might've saved three tries yesterday but it was due to him being out of position yet again.

![8F1A4471-9033-48AA-ABC0-3D41F88E4FDD.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1641858241734-8f1a4471-9033-48aa-abc0-3d41f88e4fdd.jpeg)

This ^ bodes well. He was already an asset. A leaner, fitter version will be massive. Just need the ball to get out to him now.

I just want our wingers to run hard and straight with the ball and in defensive sets just hold their position

@mighty_tiger said in [Ken Maumalo signs until 2023\.\.](/post/1520807) said:
I just want our wingers to run hard and straight with the ball and in defensive sets just hold their position

So I'm guessing you're not a Noffa fan?

Surely Madge will have had a big word to Noffa during the off season as to what is expected SURELY

@hugh1954 said in [Ken Maumalo signs until 2023\.\.](/post/1520826) said:

Surely Madge will have had a big word to Noffa during the off season as to what is expected SURELY

If Madge can get him firing…

A bit confused about this. His size was his asset, it allowed him to throw himself at the defensive line.

Bit a little slimmer isn't gonna increase your pace that much, it may make him fitter but I don't see many wingers being puffed out.

@tig_prmz said in [Ken Maumalo signs until 2023\.\.](/post/1520836) said:
A bit confused about this. His size was his asset, it allowed him to throw himself at the defensive line.

Bit a little slimmer isn't gonna increase your pace that much, it may make him fitter but I don't see many wingers being puffed out.

Still a big unit, he was definitely a little slimmer a few years ago compared to last season and was still effective. They must want his work rate to get up a bit

@jc99 said in [Ken Maumalo signs until 2023\.\.](/post/1520842) said:

Still a big unit, he was definitely a little slimmer a few years ago compared to last season and was still effective. They must want his work rate to get up a bit

He is making a transition to halfback as per sheens request ?

Big Ken is another quality signing no doubt attracted by the opportunity to reunite with Madge. If a few kilos lighter equates to a stronger, fitter winger then he’s up for a cracker of a year. The way I see it, Nofa has 2 options. He can take Ken’s lead and improve his game, or not. He showed late in the season that he is capable of being a team player.
Admittedly Madge is the type of coach who can be abrasive at times, but if you do your job, you won’t see that side of him.

Tigers 2022 Wingers = Souths 2014 wingers
Kenny=tuqiri
Nofo=merrit
tupou=AJ

The point is nofo is on borrowed time, the loss of Scorlai buys him time, however, I feel others like Juinor will push for his spot. I love the guy, but he was slow and ineffective this year. If he can recapture his 2020 form he has a place in the squad, if not...bye bye

@jc99 said in [Ken Maumalo signs until 2023\.\.](/post/1520842) said:

Plus, never a problem to put a few kilograms kilograms back on if it doesn't work out. I can speak from experience over the last eight or so years and it certainly doesn't improve my performance or effectiveness when carrying more.

I've put on about 7 or 8 kg since the start of COVID and I can vouch for the fact that in no way has it improved my performance or effectiveness.

I would imagine that there would be many on here that would be able to back up my findings.

Didn't think his weight was too much of an issue, to be honest thought it was more his work rate.

Looks disinterested half the time but when he tries he's easily our best winger. Would love to see him look for the ball more (and in fairness our halves actually go to him more) as on his day is a gun.

Back