KOE CUP WESTS v NEWTOWN

Just walking out now, what can you say, Rua injured again, not one player in this side should even be considered for nrl atm, dillon at least caught all the bombs and poked his nose threw a couple of times, is definitely injured, saw the warm up , he’s injured for sure, tupou what cat doubt he’s got any ticker, seen him play twice live, don’t anyone say he’s a gun, he’s doesn’t want the contact. Well you know my thoughts on the forwards.
It is a big worry to read your evaluation of Tupou and whilst he may well get there, he is currently taking a top 30 squad spot and when we are already light on backs through long term injuries it is a disaster.

At least he won't get injured if avoiding contact.

Just goes too show how big a step from Flegg too Cup , our Flegg team was killing it last year but now those players are struggling , another dumb move from the club letting go a lot of the better players from Cup last year
Looking at the team differences from last year, it's almost an entirely different team. Missing from last year:
  1. Zac Cini
  2. Allan Fitzgibbon
  3. Reece Hoffman
  4. Kiah Cooper
  5. Billy Walters
  6. Jock Madden
  7. Kelma Tuilagi
  8. Sione Tupou
  9. Zach Dockar-Clay
  10. BJ Leilua
  11. Kelma Tuilagi
  12. Daniel Sykes

Looking at the team differences from last year, it's almost an entirely different team. Missing from last year:
  1. Zac Cini
  2. Allan Fitzgibbon
  3. Reece Hoffman
  4. Kiah Cooper
  5. Billy Walters
  6. Jock Madden
  7. Kelma Tuilagi
  8. Sione Tupou
  9. Zach Dockar-Clay
  10. BJ Leilua
  11. Kelma Tuilagi
  12. Daniel Sykes
Yep, some sides are basically the game ours is completely different, and with no experienced NRL players in the squad either.

But you look at last year's squad and they were good for NSW cup but awful for the development of future first graders

Better…
I thought he was the only attacking threat Wests seemed to have. Jets just ran too hard all day. First Wests try was pretty lucky but second was good. Jets centre (Demetriou) killed Pauga (and Tupou)'s edge, time and again. Halves a problem too.

I went and watched yesterday. Random thoughts.
First half was good. Lots of energy. I was sitting right behind the posts, the O'Kane kid scored a try and the referee said he dropped it, that was bs. Could have been 12 all half-time.
Second half the wheels fell off. The half kept kicking it dead for 7 tackle sets. Dillon, who was good most of the game knocked one on. Jets kicked a 40/20 and the Maggies had to do alot of defence.
In fairness the jets had too much class across their spine.
Rua looks a good prospect. Not sure about the centres, tupu looks small. I don't get the Tuki hype. Fairburn and Smith have a crack. I was impressed with O'Kane in defence, they ran their prop Pele at him alot and he stopped him everytime, I heard he's young, he's tough and one to watch. Sounds like they missed his defence in flegg today.
One of the props had some good charges.
Couldn't figure out why there were no more big name guys playing?
Interestingly enough O'Kane apparently had 11 missed tackles with 30 made. Sounded like they absolutely carved him up

First half was good. Lots of energy. I was sitting right behind the posts, the O'Kane kid scored a try and the referee said he dropped it, that was bs. Could have been 12 all half-time.
Second half the wheels fell off. The half kept kicking it dead for 7 tackle sets. Dillon, who was good most of the game knocked one on. Jets kicked a 40/20 and the Maggies had to do alot of defence.
Rua looks a good prospect. Not sure about the centres, tupu looks small. I don't get the Tuki hype. Fairburn and Smith have a crack. I was impressed with O'Kane in defence, they ran their prop Pele at him alot and he stopped him everytime, I heard he's young, he's tough and one to watch. Sounds like they missed his defence in flegg today.
How do we ever think guys like Tupou and Tuki are going to change the club. We’re just pissing in the wind.

Just catching up on this after having an extra couple of days in Sydney.
Newtown are a pretty good side and rightfully have a high expectation around them this season. They are a balanced team, mostly well organised in defence, their attack flows quite well and an excellent - I mean excellent - kicking game. That, and a couple of turning points including our disallowed try wore us down. We were never going to win but we had a few young fellas from the squad sitting behind us and in their words later in the 2nd half, "we've just given up today".

One the other side of the ledger.

We weren't very organised in attack. Our D had some good moments but also too many terrible ones, both up the guts as well as out wide.
Tuki... for someone with obvious talent and seemingly a lot to play for, his performance was very frustrating. In the first half he was down on his haunches a lot after running the ball, and slow to be in defensive position A LOT. Gave away a soft penalty in the ruck for the Jets first try and was a turnstyle in the middle for their second, setting an absolutely atrocious standard for the team. Didn't partake much in huddles. It actually looked like he was playing injured, or even trying to make some sort of statement... but seemed to come good in the 2nd half? Did a lot better but the damage had already been done.
Rua - obvious gun, wasn't really standing out but it was more obvious when he wasn't there after coming off with injury, that's when the wheels really seemed to fall off.
Dillon was okay but not great, and was badly positioned in defence on a number of times in the second half. Totally outplayed by his opposite and has a ways to go yet.
Pauga tried hard and was willing in attack. I know the two Juniors had points scored down there side but there was obviously a late disruption that saw them playing on the same side.
The #20 playing prop, James Aitasi caught my eye as he goes hard with a bit of a Lucy about him, so I see some promise there.
Similar for the #19 Johnny Mitsias who really had a dig and played in a few different positions by the looks. He's a bit small so I don't know where his future would lie but he is a bit of a live-wire.

Apart from that, it was nothing to write home about.
The craft beer cans were pretty good and nicely chilled.

There was one word to describe there performance CRAP 💩, never seen so many players just not trying , they looked liked they were playing touch, but still couldn’t put a hand on them , if that’s what’s pushing the 1st graders we are in trouble, what a bunch of losers .

Back