Lachlan Galvin #277

Can we check the maths on that? Pretty sure he played for Penrith in 1989 and I doubt he was 16.
Yoss he was born 5 Feb 1972 if the comp starts in March 89 he would have been 17 and 19 by the time the 91 GF came about.

Happy to get back to Galvin as Freddy is retired as a player and coach

If he’s good enough, hope he doesn’t fall into the Doueihi trap where he can’t nail down a position. So far I have seen him touted by others as a centre, 5/8 and lock. Hope he picks a lane.
The issue I see is that, whether we find an alternative position for them or not, they will likely want to play in their preferred position and 3 players into 1 spot doesn't go.

The trials will tell us a lot about who is ready to take the spot next to Luai next year.

There is a serious chance that Sezer gets dropped/injured giving more game time to Galvin and Fainu. They will probably get decent game time. Maybe 5-10 games across the season.

As far as positional changes, I can only see Fainu to hooker as a genuine option, because the other 2 are less versatile.

So you could end up with:

9. Api
7. Luai
6. Sullivan or Galvin

14. Fainu (hooker interchange)

If a half goes down, you can throw Fainu into the halves without wasting a bench spot on a dedicated hooker like Da Silva. Then when Api retires, you can give the spot to TDS. Although TDS still has a lot to prove. He's shown bits and pieces, but nothing to suggest he is going to be able to replace what we have with Api.

Whether Fainu is keen on that is another story. Whether Sullivan and Galvin show enough to hold down those spots also remains to be seen.

It's just an idea, but moving Fainu seems to be the most logical choice. Of course, you will never get the spoils of that player in his preferred position. It's a tough one.

Everything" juniors" is tbd at the moment..
Sezer will do a job at 7 in the early half of the season,but Im guessing Fainu will put huge pressure on him from the get go,and physically is ready to go right now.Holding him back a bit wont hurt
Galvins best will come in a year or two when he physically develops,and same with de Silva
I dont want Api to retire anytime soon..hes comfotably the best 9 in the NRL..has burnt off all competitors..and is the only true "leader" we have atm..which is why we extended him

The issue I see is that, whether we find an alternative position for them or not, they will likely want to play in their preferred position and 3 players into 1 spot doesn't go.

The trials will tell us a lot about who is ready to take the spot next to Luai next year.

There is a serious chance that Sezer gets dropped/injured giving more game time to Galvin and Fainu. They will probably get decent game time. Maybe 5-10 games across the season.

As far as positional changes, I can only see Fainu to hooker as a genuine option, because the other 2 are less versatile.

So you could end up with:

9. Api
7. Luai
6. Sullivan or Galvin

14. Fainu (hooker interchange)

If a half goes down, you can throw Fainu into the halves without wasting a bench spot on a dedicated hooker like Da Silva. Then when Api retires, you can give the spot to TDS. Although TDS still has a lot to prove. He's shown bits and pieces, but nothing to suggest he is going to be able to replace what we have with Api.

Whether Fainu is keen on that is another story. Whether Sullivan and Galvin show enough to hold down those spots also remains to be seen.

It's just an idea, but moving Fainu seems to be the most logical choice. Of course, you will never get the spoils of that player in his preferred position. It's a tough one.
This is the big problem we have as a club.

It's a good problem. Newcastle had it last year (but probably with less worthy talent).

We have: Galvin, Sullivan, Fainu, Luai, Sezer and even AD still on the books as halves.

If you mix Api and Da Silva it becomes very crowded indeed. Yet I could really only see maybe Fainu doing a stint at 9. If anything Luai is the most physical of who we will have by 2025 and I could see him in the later years going to 9 or bench hooker cover.

AD will be moved on, Sezer will retire.

2 people will take halves spots and one of those will be Luai in 2025.

Between Galvin, Sullivan and Fainu. A person will have to go.

Now we can fit the best 2/3... Have a bench half instead of a bench hooker. We can also look at moving someone to Center...

But one of those 3 will have to go.

If he’s good enough, hope he doesn’t fall into the Doueihi trap where he can’t nail down a position. So far I have seen him touted by others as a centre, 5/8 and lock. Hope he picks a lane.
Remember that old saying “ Jack of all trades, master of none”.
Agree with your comment about picking a lane, and sticking. At least at this stage of his football life.
Only problem is that sometimes it’s thrust upon you, or you have a slightly deluded picture of what YOU think is your best position( eg ADs little rant about wanting no 6).

It's a good problem. Newcastle had it last year (but probably with less worthy talent).

We have: Galvin, Sullivan, Fainu, Luai, Sezer and even AD still on the books as halves.

If you mix Api and Da Silva it becomes very crowded indeed. Yet I could really only see maybe Fainu doing a stint at 9. If anything Luai is the most physical of who we will have by 2025 and I could see him in the later years going to 9 or bench hooker cover.

Now we can fit the best 2/3... Have a bench half instead of a bench hooker. We can also look at moving someone to Center...

To date.....Fainu>Sullivan
and Fainu > Galvin

Its possible Galvin will grow into a position but Fainu already has experience at leading a team from 7 at Cup level.

Meanwhile we still have a wooden spoon in.each hand. Lots of water to flow under the bridge between now and then.
Can almost guarantee the problem you foresee now won't exist then

To date.....Fainu>Sullivan
and Fainu > Galvin

Its possible Galvin will grow into a position but Fainu already has experience at leading a team from 7 at Cup level.
this is correct. Fainu, I believe, is our long term 7 well after Luai leaves. I think Sullivan is the odd man out and Galvin will either move to the back row or move clubs.

Fainu's got a little work to do in terms of game management and long kicking game, but he possesses everything else to become a premier 7. he's a little like Mitchell Moses in that he has always played 6 coming thru, but 7 is his spot. Onitoni will eventually partner him at the scrumbase when Luai retires.

this is correct. Fainu, I believe, is our long term 7 well after Luai leaves. I think Sullivan is the odd man out and Galvin will either move to the back row or move clubs.

Fainu's got a little work to do in terms of game management and long kicking game, but he possesses everything else to become a premier 7. he's a little like Mitchell Moses in that he has always played 6 coming thru, but 7 is his spot. Onitoni will eventually partner him at the scrumbase when Luai retires.
You could be right and it will be very interesting to see how they all develop over the next couple of years.
My personal opinion is that Sullivan is the only natural halfback within the group, the others are all very good ball runners who I think are better suited to 5/8 rather than worrying too much about controlling the team.
Although he’s never played there as far as I’m aware, I believe Onitoni Large would make a brilliant fullback, maybe he will have to settle on playing centre if Bula nails down our number 1 jersey.

Can't Galvin play lock, we don't have anyone at the moment making it there own, we've tried heaps of players at that position and no luck, try Galvin when it's time ?

You could be right and it will be very interesting to see how they all develop over the next couple of years.
My personal opinion is that Sullivan is the only natural halfback within the group, the others are all very good ball runners who I think are better suited to 5/8 rather than worrying too much about controlling the team.
Although he’s never played there as far as I’m aware, I believe Onitoni Large would make a brilliant fullback, maybe he will have to settle on playing centre if Bula nails down our number 1 jersey.
it's a fair opinion, but I actually think Sullivan's running game is his biggest asset, whereas Latu's best asset is his passing and short kicking game. the issue with Bud is ensuring his hamstrings are in good knick. again though I just don't think he has the talent of Large, Fainu and Galvin, although he is a 200 game first grader himself.

it's a good shout on Onitoni, but like you say I think Bula has the 1 locked up for as long as he wants it. I'd expect Onitoni to play centre for the majority of his first few years but he might fill in at fullback or in the halves if there was an injury. the hardest part is going to be keeping all of these guys happy.

Can't Galvin play lock, we don't have anyone at the moment making it there own, we've tried heaps of players at that position and no luck, try Galvin when it's time ?
Kit Laulili'i or Chris Fa'agutu will lock down the 13, of that I have no doubt. it may even happen towards the end of this year. both skilful ballplayers who can bend the line and whack their opposition in defence.

Galvin is better suited to the edge because his best asset is terrorising the three and four man. his ability to bite deep into the line and take the right option is world-class. playing him at lock increases his workload and mitigates his biggest strength.

Back