Lachlan Galvin #277

I've seen this 'too big for a 6 or 7' comment a few times here. Can someone explain this to me? Probably the same people that said that Matt Bowen, Billy Slater and Brett Hodgson were too small to be a fullback. He's been the most impressive 18yo half I have seen in a while but because he has just hit 6'4'' he can't play there anymore. Ok.
??? That’s not even relevant. Literally the opposite of the point being made . The issue is at 6 , you need to be light on your feet , and expose defences by simply getting on the outside of them, not to mention lateral defence etc. AD is prime example of what is being spoken about , he’s not agile enough for 6 ( nrl 6 not every other level 6 ) so great halves just expose him in defence and find ways to isolate him .
In attack , he’s powerful , but due to his size and the weight/ muscle that needs to be put on to allow someone that size to play nrl , his speed is gone . Which is fine if you are using your 6 as a battering ram , but if a defensive line can hold out Payne has most of the time they’re holding out AD most of the time . This is the issue , he can’t skip on the outside of most edge defenders because they’re the best athletes in the team. As they age they put on more muscle , until eventually the inevitable happens and they move into the pack .
This is what too big for 6 means .

??? That’s not even relevant. Literally the opposite of the point being made . The issue is at 6 , you need to be light on your feet , and expose defences by simply getting on the outside of them, not to mention lateral defence etc. AD is prime example of what is being spoken about , he’s not agile enough for 6 ( nrl 6 not every other level 6 ) so great halves just expose him in defence and find ways to isolate him .
In attack , he’s powerful , but due to his size and the weight/ muscle that needs to be put on to allow someone that size to play nrl , his speed is gone . Which is fine if you are using your 6 as a battering ram , but if a defensive line can hold out Payne has most of the time they’re holding out AD most of the time . This is the issue , he can’t skip on the outside of most edge defenders because they’re the best athletes in the team. As they age they put on more muscle , until eventually the inevitable happens and they move into the pack .
This is what too big for 6 means .
I think you missed the point. I simply asked why his height would prevent him from being a half. I didn't mention his speed, as he is quicker than most. There is also an assumption that increased muscle mass would result in him slowing down. The increase in power can have the opposite effect.
Your ideal 6 is also highly redundant in this day and age. Munster, Wighton, Moylan / Hynes, Walker, Luai aren't overly quick and reliant on 'getting on the outside of them'.

I think you missed the point. I simply asked why his height would prevent him from being a half. I didn't mention his speed, as he is quicker than most. There is also an assumption that increased muscle mass would result in him slowing down. The increase in power can have the opposite effect.
Your ideal 6 is also highly redundant in this day and age. Munster, Wighton, Moylan / Hynes, Walker, Luai aren't overly quick and reliant on 'getting on the outside of them'.
??? I didn’t miss the point at all mate . If you’re 190cm you need to weigh roughly 95-100kg , of muscle mass for first grade , just to handle the impact , and wear and tear on your body .
The more you weigh the slower you go . Obviously sprinters are the exception to the rule , but they’re also sprinting for 10 seconds . Not really applicable for 80min nrl .
As you age everybody slows down .
The smaller you are the better centre of gravity , pivoting easily etc. not to mention smaller levers / legs for heavy lifting .
Sure maybe Galvin will be more like a Wighton or even Turbo . But for every player like them there’s 20 who move into the centres/ edge back row .
Thats why there’s a belief that he will
Move into the edges . It will all depend on how much muscle mass he puts on .
And your point about z6 being redundant is….. not accurate .

??? I didn’t miss the point at all mate . If you’re 190cm you need to weigh roughly 95-100kg , of muscle mass for first grade , just to handle the impact , and wear and tear on your body .
The more you weigh the slower you go . Obviously sprinters are the exception to the rule , but they’re also sprinting for 10 seconds . Not really applicable for 80min nrl .
As you age everybody slows down .
The smaller you are the better centre of gravity , pivoting easily etc. not to mention smaller levers / legs for heavy lifting .
Sure maybe Galvin will be more like a Wighton or even Turbo . But for every player like them there’s 20 who move into the centres/ edge back row .
Thats why there’s a belief that he will
Move into the edges . It will all depend on how much muscle mass he puts on .
And your point about z6 being redundant is….. not accurate .
Hard to know where to begin here. It’s incorrect to assume the more you weigh the slower you go. If increase in mass is lean (which his will be) and the power to weight ratio remains or increases, the opposite can happen.
Yes, you do slow down as you age. About 1-2% from around 35 years old! Injuries may have an influence but otherwise it’s not a factor for an NRL player.
As for the number of players that get moved to the centres or back row, beyond Wighton and Turbo. I think you’ll find that a coach bases their decision on their entire skill set. Looks like you would just weigh them.
Totally accurate about your description of a good 6 too. Not sure I would burn more time with that though.

Rubbish!!

Brasher replaced Pobjie at centre and was a defensive rock from his debut game in 89!

He was always an exceptional defender!
Knew Brasher well saw him play right through juniors into the top grade and he even told me he was a shirt grabber.Warren Ryan said his attacking skills were to good to play lower grades so we will just have to help him in defence. In the end he was okay but never great

Hard to know where to begin here. It’s incorrect to assume the more you weigh the slower you go. If increase in mass is lean (which his will be) and the power to weight ratio remains or increases, the opposite can happen.
Yes, you do slow down as you age. About 1-2% from around 35 years old! Injuries may have an influence but otherwise it’s not a factor for an NRL player.
As for the number of players that get moved to the centres or back row, beyond Wighton and Turbo. I think you’ll find that a coach bases their decision on their entire skill set. Looks like you would just weigh them.
Totally accurate about your description of a good 6 too. Not sure I would burn more time with that though.

Totally accurate about your description of a good 6 too. Not sure I would burn more time with that though
??? I literally said all that , using sprinters as an example where that can be possible . But not in a game where there’s hundreds of equivalent car crashes every match .
35 ??? Now I know you’re full of shit , just shifting numbers to suit your argument . Most players begin the slow down in thier late 20s , usually due to a variety of injuries . 35 ? lol Jesus Christ mate . Why argue a point that’s based in reality using perfect world statistics that just arnt applicable .
And turbo hasn’t played a season more than 10 games in 3 years.
Also I’ll pick another sport say basketball , the taller you are the more susceptible you are to muscle injuries .
Like I said there’s a reason most of the nrl are saying the same thing . And all scouts have pointed to Galvins inevitable move into the forwards eventually , but a random new forumer knows more than everyone … cool!

??? I literally said all that , using sprinters as an example where that can be possible . But not in a game where there’s hundreds of equivalent car crashes every match .
35 ??? Now I know you’re full of shit , just shifting numbers to suit your argument . Most players begin the slow down in thier late 20s , usually due to a variety of injuries . 35 ? lol Jesus Christ mate . Why argue a point that’s based in reality using perfect world statistics that just arnt applicable .
And turbo hasn’t played a season more than 10 games in 3 years.
Also I’ll pick another sport say basketball , the taller you are the more susceptible you are to muscle injuries .
Like I said there’s a reason most of the nrl are saying the same thing . And all scouts have pointed to Galvins inevitable move into the forwards eventually , but a random new forumer knows more than everyone … cool!
No need to make the numbers up. I did state that injuries can have an impact but you must have missed that.
Tell me too, which scouts (as it's not ALL of them as you have stated) have 'pointed to Galvin's inevitable move into the forwards'?

Last edited:
No need to make the numbers up. I did state that injuries can have an impact but you must have missed that.
Tell me too, which scouts (as it's not ALL of them as you have stated) have 'pointed to Galvin's inevitable move into the forwards'?
You did make the numbers up ! You said you don’t slow down until you’re 35 . So unless you have the greatest genes ever , and have a hyperbaric chamber Ala Lebron James then you’re full of shit , or making shit up to prove a point that no one agrees with .
Most scouts in the game have that opinion . It’s been well documented , and it has been the word out of the club for while now . Of course the club isn’t going to say “you can’t be a 6” that’s pretty stupid especially if he is the exception to the rule . My point is based around planning for the worst/ inevitable. If he breaks the mould cool , that’s great news . It the way your carrying on as if it’s not the consensus on this subject is just you being obnoxious , obtuse or just fighting a fight on a forum for whatever reason .
I explained to you what the thought was around large bodies five eighths and you still argue the point . Like what is your deal man ?

You did make the numbers up ! You said you don’t slow down until you’re 35 . So unless you have the greatest genes ever , and have a hyperbaric chamber Ala Lebron James then you’re full of shit , or making shit up to prove a point that no one agrees with .
Most scouts in the game have that opinion . It’s been well documented , and it has been the word out of the club for while now . Of course the club isn’t going to say “you can’t be a 6” that’s pretty stupid especially if he is the exception to the rule . My point is based around planning for the worst/ inevitable. If he breaks the mould cool , that’s great news . It the way your carrying on as if it’s not the consensus on this subject is just you being obnoxious , obtuse or just fighting a fight on a forum for whatever reason .
I explained to you what the thought was around large bodies five eighths and you still argue the point . Like what is your deal man ?
Just trying to get my head around some baseless and totally incorrect comments.

Galvin looks too lanky compared to the other halves running around.

That said- maybe he's the catalyst to a new style? Who knows.

Greater concern is that we have (potentially) Luai, Sullivan, Fainu competing for 2 spots going forward. Luai (if he signs) is locked in. Galvin needs to overtake one of the highest rated juniors coming into 1st grade in years. Not saying he can't do it- just that it's not an easy path.

He HAS played some back row, however. And given a potential log jam in the halves, this might offer him the easiest & quickest route to 1st grade.

Schuster at Manly wants to be a 5/8 too. But everyone pretty much agrees his future is in the back row. I expect Galvin to go down that road as well, simply through body shape.

In another post we discussed the type of lock forward we would like. There is no reason that in the future Lachlan could not transition to a ball playing lock. With proper weights training he might fill out like Isaih Yeo, who was also a tall lanky type when he first came to Penrith. If he turns out to be what a lot of people are predicitng then you simply want him in a position where he gets his hands on the ball a lot. Time will tell.

In another post we discussed the type of lock forward we would like. There is no reason that in the future Lachlan could not transition to a ball playing lock. With proper weights training he might fill out like Isaih Yeo, who was also a tall lanky type when he first came to Penrith. If he turns out to be what a lot of people are predicitng then you simply want him in a position where he gets his hands on the ball a lot. Time will tell.
He seems very similar to a young Yeo.
If we could could develop our own 13 in the mould of Yeo, it would be a massive plus moving forward.

Back