Last two games = trials

bigsiro

2021 is all but over (i.e. barring crazy results and a mathematical anomaly).

All the pressure is off and we can play with freedom. Surely we HAVE to be using these matches as early trials. We have nothing to lose now.

As such, I was really hoping to see more of the youngsters being trialled. We have had such serious difficulty recruiting, so these guys are our future. Why aren't they all getting runs? If not now, when?

Selecting Mbye is completely nuts and extremely infuriating. I just don't get it. He isn't part of the future and it's not like he sets the world on fire.
It doesn't show any thoughts of future planning.
I am not even an Mbye hater, but selecting him says a lot about the management of this place (or mis-management), the carelessness, lack of direction and moreover disrespect of the fans.

There are a definitely a few other key players who should be given a spell, if for no other reason than to trial others and perhaps also silence the knockers (like me) who say they should have permanent spells.

Good to see Madden given a go, but we need to try more new players and new combos, giving those guys experience, us a glimpse into the future and ANY reason to believe there is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

@bigsiro said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455592) said:

All the pressure is off and we can play with freedom. Surely we HAVE to be using these matches as early trials. We have nothing to lose now.

As such, I was really hoping to see more of the youngsters being trialled. We have had such serious difficulty recruiting, so these guys are our future. Why aren't they all getting runs? If not now, when?

Selecting Mbye is completely nuts and extremely infuriating. I just don't get it. He isn't part of the future and it's not like he sets the world on fire.
I am not even an Mbye hater, but selecting him says a lot about the management of this place (or mis-management), the carelessness, lack of direction and moreover disrespect of the fans.

There are a definitely a few other key players who should be given a spell, if for no other reason than to trial others and perhaps also silence the knockers (like me) who say they should have permanent spells.

Good to see Madden given a go, but we need to try more new players and new combos, giving those guys experience, us a glimpse into the future and ANY reason to believe there is light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

I agree but when the coach has presided over such a disastrous season he is looking after himself it’s all self preservation at this stage ! Try to keep the damage minimal,

Not much chance of too many new players trialling for next year when they are in a bubble in Brisbane. Any new players from down south will have to isolate for 14 days - last round next week

@snake said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455593) said:

I agree but when the coach has presided over such a disastrous season he is looking after himself it’s all self preservation at this stage ! Try to keep the damage minimal,

I’ll be watching how the coach minimises the damage this Sunday

Even with us out of finals
contention and some senior players departing I don't think Its good for culture in dumping players to Reggie's or whatever like this

He has brought in a lot of youth throughout the course of the season, too many too soon.or all at once may be counter productive

Our fastest player-Liddle- might show them a clean pair of heels again on Sunday.He may have been the only player to score for us after receiving the ball in our own half all year

100% disagree about treating the games like trials.

if we're fair dinkum about being a winning club, we go into every game with the best squad and expect to win.

@papacito said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455783) said:

if we're fair dinkum about being a winning club, we go into every game with the best squad and expect to win.

Exactly, as futile as it may be. It's the professional way to look at it and I'm sure that's what the club are doing - they'd just be focussed on trying to win these games by picking the best team available.

@geo said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455778) said:
Trials mean nothing..we pumped Manly in a trial...

Ha! @Geo that was our best game of the year!!

@sco77y said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455794) said:
@papacito said in [Last two games = trials](/post/1455783) said:

Exactly, as futile as it may be. It's the professional way to look at it and I'm sure that's what the club are doing - they'd just be focussed on trying to win these games by picking the best team available.

Yeah nah. Winning now changes nothing.

Back