Lui in the wet

softlaw

From what i've seen he looks well suited to a wet weather game which tonight will be.
Bases his running on strength and the odd change of direction rather than really fancy footwork and has a very good short passing game (both picking the right target and throwing the pass) to take advantage of hard runners on angles.
His kicking game short and long should work well too.

Hopefully after last week his confidence is up & he'll have a really good game tonight in the wet.

For those who saw a lot of him in the 20's what do you think?

Any good halfback should be able to adapt their game to suit wet weather conditions.
No offense to benji, but this is why he isn't a halfback

The biggest thing I noticed out of last weekends game was Robert seems to feel apart of the Team for the first time. Leading into the game against the Warriors, he seemed to look like a member of the squad, but apart of the team. This change last week. He is now one of the boys and believes he belongs there…

Far less eratic passing than our other options and should provide a settling influence I hope.

Its a fine line to walk in the wet. We have to play somewhat expansive football oor the Dogs will be able to compress the line and turn it into a grindfest. At the same time we must be intelligent about how we play and not throw too close to the sidelines in our own half etc

@Tiger Watto said:
The biggest thing I noticed out of last weekends game was Robert seems to feel apart of the Team for the first time. Leading into the game against the Warriors, he seemed to look like a member of the squad, but apart of the team. This change last week. He is now one of the boys and believes he belongs there…

Agreed. It's been a slow process but it looks to be coming together.

Just get Lui the ball and he'll be right.

He already proved he can play in the wet against the Junkies. I expect him to have just as good a game as last week.

I still think that flat pass to Ellis where he hit the gap last week was a pearler.

@Cultured Bogan said:
I still think that flat pass to Ellis where he hit the gap last week was a pearler.

That **pass** convinced me Lui has a big future in the NRL.

He has grown in confidence since his first few games in 2009.

Just like M pearce after 70 odd games hewill take a bit of time to really beleive that he belongs and as the right to direct the older guys.

A few more wins will do him the world of good. He certainly has shown the goods when confident…

I really hope the forwards rip in and he makes his touches count.

He is definately growing with confidence every week. He is on track to become the next Leo Dynevor

@smeghead said:
Far less eratic passing than our other options and should provide a settling influence I hope.

Its a fine line to walk in the wet. We have to play somewhat expansive football oor the Dogs will be able to compress the line and turn it into a grindfest. At the same time we must be intelligent about how we play and not throw too close to the sidelines in our own half etc

That's a good point, the Bulldogs compressed their defence to very good effect against the Tigers last time, and I reckon they will do the same thing again. Counting against the Tigers last time though was a terrible completion rate and no halfback as Lazarus was never used effectively in the match. With Benji and Lui on both sides of the field and the forwards in good form, this is the ideal opportunity for the Tigers forwards to aim up and win the ruck so Farah, Benji and Lui can do their thing.

Grew up in North Qld, would have spent a lot of his youth playing footy in torrential rain. I think he is deceptively quick with a low centre of gravity making hard to tackle,seems to have the ability to skip and bounce through tackles. Anyway just a warning, he is only a kid with a few games under his belt, he is going to have the odd shocker along the way, thats to be expected.

Some very good points in this thread. Relevant to the discussion from the footy show last night: Hennant saying the dogs would be up in our faces especially our halves, so with Lui there Benji can hopefully get more depth and time; and Foran saying that it takes some time for young halves to get the confidence to tell the older and more experienced forwards what to do, so from that it would seem Lui will definitely improve his talk too.

I hope the dogs get up in our faces… it'll only tire them and we actually run the ball... I hope they stick to this tactic because we'll kill em

Even though some of Lui's kicks were ordinary…I liked his game tonight...Lui got very involved all game...he wanted the ball in every set...his involvement was pleasing and played a halfbacks game....he's coming along nicely...

he started off really bad missed a tackle that led to a try bad kicks etc but came good

I turned on 2GB after the game and the big marnnn was saying that he isnt our answer at halfback and has alot to do to prove to him that hes first grade.. thought that was a bit harsh

Back