Luke Brooks #167

I'm hoping that WT management thought through the fact that Brooks is off-contract after this season.

Best case scenario is Brooks plays better in 2023, only for us to be in a heavy bidding market and another likely scenario is Brooks plays average and we are left with having to go in to the market without any options... and we are left with Brooks again.

I'm hoping that WT management thought through the fact that Brooks is off-contract after this season.

Best case scenario is Brooks plays better in 2023, only for us to be in a heavy bidding market and another likely scenario is Brooks plays average and we are left with having to go in to the market without any options... and we are left with Brooks again.
some are saying same manager as Moses and Moses only interested if Brooks is here so wait and see I guess

Thats why they're already talking about a 2 year extn for Brooks. I'd only entertain that option if they knew Mitch Moses was definitely coming to WT and it was framed around renewing work with Brooks- and if Brooks was to be 6 and Moses 7. I could live with that.

Reactions: 851

The biggest loser in Hastings-Klemmer swap​

Simon Brunsdon - 2h ago
League legend Andrew Johns has revealed why he was "disappointed" Newcastle wasn't able to snare Luke Brooks this off-season.
Johns had been vocal in his desire to get Brooks to the Knights last season, and was again hopeful the switch would happen before 2023.
Instead, the Hunter club this week announced the signing of another Tigers playmaker, Jackson Hastings, who Johns believes will wear the No.7 jersey in round one next year.

The Tigers had originally refused to release Brooks, but the Sydney Morning Herald reports the reason a deal was unable to be struck this time around was the $1 million salary linked to Brooks for the new pay period.

Luke Brooks stands dejected after the Tigers loss.
Luke Brooks stands dejected after the Tigers loss.© Getty
In purchasing Hastings and offloading $800,000 prop David Klemmer, Newcastle has freed up space on the salary cap, rather than the alternative.

And while Johns is rapt with the acquisition of Hastings, he concedes there is a sense of disappointment around the Brooks situation.

"It is disappointing because I think the change would have been good for Luke, everyone can see the pressure he's been under," Johns told Wide World of Sports.
"But now with Benji (Marshall) and Tim Sheens (coaching the Tigers), they are both very attack-minded coaches, I think they will improve him no end.
"I just think it would have been a good opportunity for him to get out of Sydney and just a bit of change. But under Sheens and Benji I think he will go well."
Brooks, 27, has never played an NRL finals game and the Concord club is entering its 12th year without finishing inside the competition's top eight.
The halfback was once touted as the next Johns, and was tipped to represent New South Wales and Australia - neither of which has ever eventuated.
Johns was keen to work with Brooks at Newcastle but that partnership will have to wait at least one more year.

Attachments

• 1668663735437.png
    1668663735437.png
    68 bytes · Views: 6

The biggest loser in Hastings-Klemmer swap​

Simon Brunsdon - 2h ago
League legend Andrew Johns has revealed why he was "disappointed" Newcastle wasn't able to snare Luke Brooks this off-season.
Johns had been vocal in his desire to get Brooks to the Knights last season, and was again hopeful the switch would happen before 2023.
Instead, the Hunter club this week announced the signing of another Tigers playmaker, Jackson Hastings, who Johns believes will wear the No.7 jersey in round one next year.

The Tigers had originally refused to release Brooks, but the Sydney Morning Herald reports the reason a deal was unable to be struck this time around was the $1 million salary linked to Brooks for the new pay period.

Luke Brooks stands dejected after the Tigers loss.
Luke Brooks stands dejected after the Tigers loss.© Getty
In purchasing Hastings and offloading $800,000 prop David Klemmer, Newcastle has freed up space on the salary cap, rather than the alternative.

And while Johns is rapt with the acquisition of Hastings, he concedes there is a sense of disappointment around the Brooks situation.

"It is disappointing because I think the change would have been good for Luke, everyone can see the pressure he's been under," Johns told Wide World of Sports.
"But now with Benji (Marshall) and Tim Sheens (coaching the Tigers), they are both very attack-minded coaches, I think they will improve him no end.
"I just think it would have been a good opportunity for him to get out of Sydney and just a bit of change. But under Sheens and Benji I think he will go well."
Brooks, 27, has never played an NRL finals game and the Concord club is entering its 12th year without finishing inside the competition's top eight.
The halfback was once touted as the next Johns, and was tipped to represent New South Wales and Australia - neither of which has ever eventuated.
Johns was keen to work with Brooks at Newcastle but that partnership will have to wait at least one more year.
I wonder if the new coaching team has now released Brooksy from his obligation to make 20 tackles per game?

I wonder if the new coaching team has now released Brooksy from his obligation to make 20 tackles per game?

I don't think Brooks is a great defender. I think his defense is a little overrated. It's not bad for a half but he can still get run over the top of. I suppose that will happen.

The issue is we need to be better in relation to winning the grind and hopefully he gets exposed a little less.

I'll add that part of the reason he gets exposed is poor decision making by our halves when we have the ball as well.

This off season has been good but the team needs a massive turnaround for us to be somewhat successful next season.

One thing that has annoyed me a little bit is from reading @THE_POM updates that they've already opened up extension talks with Brooks but AD is a wait & see. Now, I don't think AD is worth 900k at all & think it's fairly ridiculous that he's even asking for that much. But can anyone tell me what has Brooks done to even deserve a contract extension? At least wait & see how next season pans out & decide then with all this talk about Brooks finally being behind a good pack (personally I don't see anything changing, good players stand out in good teams Ben Hunt for example which Brooks hasn't done)

One thing that has annoyed me a little bit is from reading @THE_POM updates that they've already opened up extension talks with Brooks but AD is a wait & see. Now, I don't think AD is worth 900k at all & think it's fairly ridiculous that he's even asking for that much. But can anyone tell me what has Brooks done to even deserve a contract extension? At least wait & see how next season pans out & decide then with all this talk about Brooks finally being behind a good pack (personally I don't see anything changing, good players stand out in good teams Ben Hunt for example which Brooks hasn't done)
Pretty sure they wanted to start discussions with AD but he didn’t want to do that until after the WC.

Pretty sure they wanted to start discussions with AD but he didn’t want to do that until after the WC.
What would we all rate AD'S world cup appearance?

Imo, game 1 he was good against decent competition however let himself down with some nonsense at the end resulting in a suspension. 5/10 performance.

Game 2, NA.. 0/10

Game 3 - the opponent was probably close to worst in the Comp however AD played great at fullback, 8/10

Game 4 VS Australia, tough opponent - didn't have much for them... tried hard. 4/10

He might be in their squad but unless there’s injuries he won’t be playing.

My point was I don’t think we’ve let our two best halves leave the club as initial post said.

Possibly our best though.
Based on last season's form I'd agree ......if you ask me who can play better of the two ...it's Brooks ....and there will be no excuses now .........We don't take a huge loss salary cap wise keeping Brooks ...we'd have been handing away at least 500 k to let him go

Brooks would be at the top of the list nearing 200 games and lets face it, only there due to playing for the Tigers, doubt his career would have been more than 10 games if playing for any self dignified club, What other players in RL history would be in the top 10 luckiest players that have played the most games with zero first grade talent?

Ill name the first 2

1. Luke Brooks
2. Daylight

So they same players and manager that had us 'waiting and seeing' 5 or 6 odd years ago are doing the same again to us.
Somethings never change and some people never learn.
well he either wants to play with Brooks or he doesn't, if he doesn't then he will sign with dogs you would think. Not much tigers can do at the moment except put the offer to Moses and see

Reactions: 851
What would we all rate AD'S world cup appearance?

Imo, game 1 he was good against decent competition however let himself down with some nonsense at the end resulting in a suspension. 5/10 performance.

Game 2, NA.. 0/10

Game 3 - the opponent was probably close to worst in the Comp however AD played great at fullback, 8/10

Game 4 VS Australia, tough opponent - didn't have much for them... tried hard. 4/10
I can’t comment mate I didn’t really see him play but appreciate your review.

Based on last season's form I'd agree ......if you ask me who can play better of the two ...it's Brooks ....and there will be no excuses now .........We don't take a huge loss salary cap wise keeping Brooks ...we'd have been handing away at least 500 k to let him go
Exactly my thoughts Hap and whilst Brooks hasn’t been playing great I don’t think the financial hit to move him on was good business.

As you said no excuses now and if it were me I’d be holding off extension talks until round 8-10 to see how he’s progressing behind a better pack. If that excuse is taken away we’re done with his contract at seasons end.

Latest posts

Back