Luke Brooks #167

Brooks' won the 2018 Dally M award. Well played to him.

Imo Brooks responded to the coaching style of Cleary. Cleary could sum up the skills of his squad, tailor the game plan to suit and possesses great interpersonal skills. All the good coaches have good interpersonal skills including Sheens and I believe Marshall has the same skill.

Brooks is a very good NRL quality half. He probably will not play SOO or for the Kangaroos but not many players do.

Brooks also had a vastly underrated prop in Matulino in the team who provided lots of second phase play. Matulino is a player I hold in high regard and it was a shame he had a chronic knee injury.

Mate people see what they want to see & often hate for something clouds the discussion.

Whatever had happened with Brooks has happened. Agree Ivan set things up to work off player’s strengths and Madge wanted players to work to his structured style regardless of the player’s capability.

Sheens is closer coaching style to Cleary than Madge but end of the day we need Brooks and the team to step up or they should be out.

True. In a weak squad, playing to your strengths will get better performances, if not wins. Even in losing, your team can still perform well and demonstrate spirit and team-work. I look at the footage of Cleary in the dressing sheds sitting, relaxed with his players who are listening intently to what he has to say. That is what I would like to see in our dressing sheds - players engaged with the coaching team.
I can agree with the coaching having a relaxed atmosphere in the sheds to get results,but watching a great coach in Bellamy pointing fingers,yelling to get his point across to NRL professional players also gets results,same as Des Hassler,he tore the door off the dressing sheds to get his point across and both those have had great success..In having said that its whatever it takes to get the players to react and get their minds on the job..It also goes to show that even though Madge had a different perspective on how to set the plans and structures,that didnt suit our team,the players we had didnt like his tough stance on training to toughen them up for the seasons grind...so to me both at the time were to blame for the poor outcome while Madge was here...

Brooks' won the 2018 Dally M award. Well played to him.

Imo Brooks responded to the coaching style of Cleary. Cleary could sum up the skills of his squad, tailor the game plan to suit and possesses great interpersonal skills. All the good coaches have good interpersonal skills including Sheens and I believe Marshall has the same skill.

Brooks is a very good NRL quality half. He probably will not play SOO or for the Kangaroos but not many players do.

Brooks also had a vastly underrated prop in Matulino in the team who provided lots of second phase play. Matulino is a player I hold in high regard and it was a shame he had a chronic knee injury.
I would not discount the possibility of Brooks returning to rep footy. He was in the blues training squad and played All Stars.
You’re right about that 2018 pack. Look at the stats they produced. All running over 100mt, all high tackle efficiency. They allowed Brooks to play his natural game.
Brooks was also in a contract year, same situation as now.

I can agree with the coaching having a relaxed atmosphere in the sheds to get results,but watching a great coach in Bellamy pointing fingers,yelling to get his point across to NRL professional players also gets results,same as Des Hassler,he tore the door off the dressing sheds to get his point across and both those have had great success..In having said that its whatever it takes to get the players to react and get their minds on the job..It also goes to show that even though Madge had a different perspective on how to set the plans and structures,that didnt suit our team,the players we had didnt like his tough stance on training to toughen them up for the seasons grind...so to me both at the time were to blame for the poor outcome while Madge was here...
Bellamy and Hasler certainly have their unique methods of delivery. It got results for them and I hope we see Hasler back coaching again. He is a character and likeable. I especially admired how he backed his players (at his own cost) during the jersey debacle at Manly.

I would not discount the possibility of Brooks returning to rep footy. He was in the blues training squad and played All Stars.
You’re right about that 2018 pack. Look at the stats they produced. All running over 100mt, all high tackle efficiency. They allowed Brooks to play his natural game.
Return to rep footy? 🤣🤣🤣
He played two small stints off the bench in a crappy All Stars game in 2015 after playing just over 20 games.
Zilch since.
His boat sailed many years ago.

Softest thing ive read about a footy player in 80 years.

Maybe he should try to not be a rubbish player? Sorry for the harsh words Nancy

Paws and the rest of the fanboys will be stroking Brooksys hair as he cries himself to sleep tonight.

How awful that fans keep demanding that he actually produces something on the field instead of stealing from the club for the better part of 10 years.

Funniest post of 2023

Paws and the rest of the fanboys will be stroking Brooksys hair as he cries himself to sleep tonight.

How awful that fans keep demanding that he actually produces something on the field instead of stealing from the club for the better part of 10 years.
All sitting around crying stroking his hair.

"Don't listen to those meanies, how dare they want you to at least be a fair to middle NRL quality playmaker, how dare they, don't they know you won a meaningless half back of the year award 5 years ago"

Ivan or no Ivan?
To be honest I don’t think Brooks played that much better with Cleary at the helm than any other year.
The team wasn’t the best and he was fortunate in that respect to be noticed a little more.
His ‘award’ in 2018 was tainted by the fact that some of his quality opposition were injured for long periods and others played in strong teams where the points were distributed more evenly.
Let’s be honest, he’s not an elite halfback and never will be.
He goes pretty good at five eighth though, if he’s got a decent half directing the team, and that’s where he belongs.
Despite sitting very much on the opposite side of the Brooks debate to yourself CK I actually agree with a lot of this.
I also don't think Brooks was significantly better in 2018 than other years. I wouldn't go as far as saying the award was 'tainted'. But agree he wasn't the best 7 (or even close to) in the comp that (or any) year.
I don't understand why his Dally M is so heavily debated. The Dally M system regularly throws out surprise recipients. Importantly though no-one gets them after playing bad, footy, even if they weren't the best. On this point alone can't we Lol agree that he was playing well in 2018 if not at an elite level? Do any Brooks supporters (obviously not directed at you CK) actually believe he was the best 7 that season?

And agree, he is not an elite halfback. Most likely never will be.
My main point of contention is that I think he is still a quality enough halfback that can take a strong side deep into finals. He has just never had a strong side.

I love it that Paws always says our recruitment is best this year than in our history...
How about I give him a home truth,Sheens new that Madge knew we needed a strong forward pack,hence HE recruited Api and Papi,Sheens jumped on the opportunity and took his job,swapped Hastings for Klemmer and got Bateman to come here....our young guys will develop nicely with those 4 in the top squad...
This is my opinion and I strongly believe Madge knew what was needed,top forwards,the pathways developed and the weak links got rid of...HE was sacked conveniently once Sheens got here...
I dont blame Madge that we got the spoon I blame the kaos of his sacking that was the cause...we need to show improvment this year with the good players we have got..
I watched the games too.
It was Ground hog day. Same game plan, same no defence, same loosing ability. Maybe we come 14th instead of 16th... So what.

Yes Madge probably worked out we needed better forwards, yet we did not get enough Power out of the guys we got. Why dinnit James Tamou Perform? He was a Madge recruit, his form dropped right off under Madge!

I totally agree the look of Sheens walking into the top job looks so wrong. Had we stayed with Madge, we would be looking 13-16 this season.

My favourite memory of Slater is the Mayor of Minto chasing him down at LO after Slater kicked him in the head. No-one deserved the Wanker chant more than Slater that day 🤣🤣🤣
From memory Skando never got hold of him which was one bit of luck for Slater, the other bit of luck was the 7 week suspension he got.

I mean 7 is supposed to be lucky isn't it?

From memory he copped more than one suspension that season.

From memory Skando never got hold of him which was one bit of luck for Slater, the other bit of luck was the 7 week suspension he got.

I mean 7 is supposed to be lucky isn't it?

From memory he copped more than one suspension that season.
Try to find any of Billy's loose feet incidents on the net since Channel 9 & his associated interests somehow managed to sanitise Youtube etc!!

He literally led to a rule change after leading with his feet at players heads/hands who were already over the try line on multiple occasions - and some of his karate kicks to the heads of chasers while jumping for a bomb were Bruce Lee shit!

He was a competitor - but took it too far when lashing out with his boots!

What he did to Skando was beneath a low act!!

Seriously - I challenge anyone to find some of his worst moments online - Channel 9 and the NRL have done their best to erase the memories!!

Back