Luke Brooks #167

1. He would not have the respect of his opponents. They know he’s the weakest in the team hence they try to target him during our games. Teammates may very depending who he gets along with. No secret not everyone are best mates and that goes to all clubs in general.

2. He’s consistently bad very rarely does he have a good game. I hope he’s practicing his 40/20s and short goal kicking that needs a lot of work.

3. While one club players are rare these days, its not something to really brag about. Only if the club has been successful can you really brag about being one club players.

There have been players who ultimately didn’t win premierships, play origin and represent your country. If you were unable to achieve all 3 you were either really unlucky, or weren’t that good to make it. Safe to say Brooks falls into the second category. He may get lucky to win a premiership but that’s extremely unlikely. Origin and Australia have long passed him so you can forget that. Kevin Hastings was unlucky not to play for his country and win a premiership but he did get picked for Origin so he still managed to achieve something in his career.
Mate do you have any idea how hard it is to play just 1 game in the NRL, Luke Brooks has played 186 to me that makes him a very good player. Seriously do you really think that his opponents have no respect of his ability.

Mate do you have any idea how hard it is to play just 1 game in the NRL, Luke Brooks has played 186 to me that makes him a very good player. Seriously do you really think that his opponents have no respect of his ability.
What ability? To kick the ball out on the full constantly? They may respect that as it means it helps them out.

‘It’s everywhere’: Wests Tigers star Luke Brooks opens up on brutal criticism and what he ‘hated’ about ‘next Joey’ talk​

Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports@darciemcdonald
January 25th, 2023 6:54 am

No current NRL player is criticised more than Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.
The 28-year-old has borne the brunt of the club’s failures over the last decade and as a result has seemingly developed a very thick skin, conceding: “I’m sort of used to it now.”
But his halves partner Adam Doueihi can see through the tough front and revealed it “does have an effect on him.”

Brooks has 189 NRL games to his name and a Dally M Halfback of the Year trophy to boot. But he also carries the unwanted record of most games played without a finals appearance — a stat he is often reminded of.

Criticism has consistently been thrown in his direction over the last few years, but it reached boiling point in the opening months of last season.

He was targeted after the Tigers lost their first five games of the year — their worst start in club history. The barrage of criticism forced chairman Lee Hagipantelis to jump to his defence, calling it “excessive” as well as “unwarranted and unhealthy.”

Brooks also fired back at his critics at the time with: “A lot of people have never done anything in the game, so I couldn’t care less what they say about me.”

And he backed it up the very next game, setting up two tries in the Tigers’ first win of the season — a one-point upset over eventual grand finalists, the Eels.

Hastings took the opportunity to put an arm around his teammate, urging the media and fans to “get off his back for a week,” before declaring “what a performance,” in a post-game interview.

“I guess it’s a part of it,” he shrugged

“When you’re going good you get all the raps so it goes hand-in-hand.

“I’m sort of used to it now, but as long as my teammates and the staff are happy with me then that’s all that matters.

“I try to stay away from it (the negativity)... Sometimes it can be hard though because it’s everywhere and people ask you about it but as much as I can, I try not to read into it.

“I learnt that a long time ago.”

However Doueihi has a tougher time with it because he believes the targeted criticism actually does take its toll on Brooks.

“Obviously it hurts seeing him (cop criticism) because I see the work that he does in the pre-season and during the season,” he told foxsports.com.au.

“It does have an effect on him — I can see that.

“He’s had a really good pre-season this year, it’s been more enjoyable for myself and him. We have a clear picture of how we want to play, there’s a style of footy this year that suits both our games and we’ve enjoyed that.

“Hopefully we can start the season good and have some positive media reports about him and about the club for a change.

“Winning stops all negative media reports so the more we can win the better it is for everyone.”

Brooks has always had the attention of media. In fact, there were already stories being written about him before he had made his NRL debut — that’s how highly-regarded he was as a kid.

He was a Tigers junior that played Australian Schoolboys and took the club’s SG Ball team to a premiership.

He was also dubbed the next Andrew Johns.

Brooks got his debut as a fresh-faced 18-year-old in 2013 and lived up to expectations, scoring a try and setting up two more to earn man of the match honours.

But all that hype and attention was exactly what he didn’t want.

“When I came in (to first grade), I hadn’t even played a game and I was getting raps — I hated that,” Brooks said.

“I just didn’t know how to take it, I would rather just be quiet and out of the media. But I guess whether it’s good or bad I just try not to read it.

“Even when my when dad would watch an NRL show and my name popped up, I’d just go awkward. I hated being at home when he was watching the NRL shows.

“Just from a young age I’ve felt uncomfortable with it.”

Unfortunately for Brooks he’s set for another season in the headlines whether the Tigers go well or not because he’s coming off contract.

His contract situation somewhat slipped under the radar over the off-season — a relief for him given this time last year it was reported every day that he had signed with the Knights.

“To be honest I haven’t really thought about it too much,” Brooks said when asked about his next contract.

“It’s kind of been good, the past few years there’s always been stuff about me going or staying so it’s been good to have a pre-season where there hasn’t been any chat.

“I’ve been able to focus on footy and that’s all I can do. When that comes up it’ll come up but at the moment I’m just focused on playing footy.”

Brooks confirmed that “there’s been talks” with the club about a potential new deal but he is in no rush, adding: “we’ll worry about it when it comes.”

Should the Tigers re-sign Brooks, it’s expected it’ll be on less than the reported $1.1 million he stands to earn this season.

But he can prove his worth by steering the club to their first finals appearance since 2011 — and can use the help of the several big-name recruits, including three-time premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau to do that.

“You can already tell the difference he makes,” Brooks said of Koroisau.

“What he does around the ruck helps me so much, it’ll take a lot of pressure off me because other teams’ defence will be focused on him and what he’s doing around the ruck.

“I’m really looking forward to playing with ‘Ice’ (Isaiah Papali’i), I think he’s someone that will suit my game,” he added.

“He’s a good hole-running back-rower, but also in defence he’s a good quality player and you can really see that when we’re out on the field training.”
He silenced those "critics" pretty quick, didn't he.... 😂

Actually they agree that Brooks is overpaid. Sheens said so publicly when he said if Brooks re signs with the club it will be on a reduced rate
That is included in the article where Sheens speaks of Brooks and which I have mentioned. I have posted consistently that a Chris Lawrence deal, extended over a few more years, is a good outcome for both parties.

He was clearly not in the eye of Sheens or Marshall. I believe both would know a good half - Alexander, Daley, Stuart, Prince, Marshall and Lui.
Not entirely the case. The Knights also were only willing to pay $600k for Brooks meaning if we moved him on we'd be half a million out of pocket. Sheens said he's not about paying blokes to play for other teams. That's why Hastings was more expendable than Brooks

That is included in the article where Sheens speaks of Brooks and which I have mentioned. I have posted consistently that a Chris Lawrence deal, extended over a few more years, is a good outcome for both parties.
Sign an NRL quality half back and re-sign Brooks on a minimum contract to play reggies as a back up or shipped off to super league would be the best outcome for the club, that's all I care about.

He silenced those "critics" pretty quick, didn't he.... 😂

I don't dislike Brooks and much of the problem has not been his fault BUT if he has another poor year in 2023 he has to go.His defence is 10x better than it was when he started but you don't pay big money for a half that is only decent in defence

Not entirely the case. The Knights also were only willing to pay $600k for Brooks meaning if we moved him on we'd be half a million out of pocket. Sheens said he's not about paying blokes to play for other teams. That's why Hastings was more expendable than Brooks
I am not privy to figures on employment contracts. I am also not privy to the thoughts of Sheens or Marshall.

What we do know is -

Brooks is at the club and Sheens and Marshall want him post 23.
Hastings was released by Sheens and Marshall.

I don't dislike Brooks and much of the problem has not been his fault BUT if he has another poor year in 2023 he has to go.His defence is 10x better than it was when he started but you don't pay big money for a half that is only decent in defence
That's the problem his apologists have on this forum. We aren't saying he is a numpty as a human, just a complete numpty as a NRL quality half back. A complete and utter failure as a footballer. The fact they cant distinguish between the two makes their opinion asinine.

Sign an NRL quality half back and re-sign Brooks on a minimum contract to play reggies as a back up or shipped off to super league would be the best outcome for the club, that's all I care about.
At least you have dealt with much disappointment in your life so you will be prepared.😂

The club shouldn't extend both AD or Brooks contract before seeing how they play this season, Brooks certainly hasn't done enough to warrant a contract extension.

He was played last season as basically a running 6 and Sheens has stated that he doesn't think the halfback is the guy who has to lead the team around.

Sheens to me doesn't seem to view Brooks as an Andrew Johns type halfback.

We appear to be chasing Moses hard and I assume it's as a halfback with Brooks or Doueihi to the 6 spot on lesser dollars. It'll be interesting to see who out of Brooks, Doueihi and Laurie will gain a contract at the Tigers.
I agree ... he's a five eighth or even a centre and goes okay at both.
However some of his fanboys can't let go of him being ...
1. The best halfback at the club (not hard when we got rid of all the others)
2. The Dally M Halfback of the Year (5 years ago when halfbacks like Pearce missed 10 games and finished 3 points behind him and Cleary missed 7 weeks and played Origin)
3. Disadvantaged his entire career by being surrounded by duds, terrible coaches or players who would continually overcall him.
4. A one club player (because the only club who wanted him would only pay half his contract and we didn't want to pay the difference)

The club shouldn't extend both AD or Brooks contract before seeing how they play this season, Brooks certainly hasn't done enough to warrant a contract extension.
I know his extension will not be universally popular!😁 i'd like to see Moses, Brooks and Doueihi at the club at 7, 6 and 3 or 4.

I think every Tigers fan had high hopes for Brooks.

All that pressure explains the last 10 years, I guess.

Just kidding... hopefully Api unlocks his true potential.

I agree ... he's a five eighth or even a centre and goes okay at both.
However some of his fanboys can't let go of him being ...
1. The best halfback at the club (not hard when we got rid of all the others)
2. The Dally M Halfback of the Year (5 years ago when halfbacks like Pearce missed 10 games and finished 3 points behind him and Cleary missed 7 weeks and played Origin)
3. Disadvantaged his entire career by being surrounded by duds, terrible coaches or players who would continually overcall him.
4. A one club player (because the only club who wanted him would only pay half his contract and we didn't want to pay the difference)

Most people are on the same page with Brooks. I don't get why it keeps getting debated. Sheens is even stating the same point about Brooks role.

The question to me is will any of Brooks, Laurie, Staines (if he plays at fullback) and Doueihi perform. I had big expectations of Doueihi last year and in my opinion Brooks was heaps better. None of them were good.

Back