Luke Brooks #167

i dont agree that Doueihi is particularly slow.

Not when he decides to have a go at it, as his chasing down and tackle of ? last season showed. Adam also has plenty of both size and ability, just very often a lack of effort or application that lets him and the side down in defence.

yep , i got excited when the SL rumors did the rounds a few years ago,for his wellbeing, its a far option
If he’s not staying depending if we somehow land Moses (although unlikely) or if Flanagan is still crap, Dogs and Eels may come calling but they would be desperate to take him on.

If he’s not staying depending if we somehow land Moses (although unlikely) or if Flanagan is still crap, Dogs and Eels may come calling but they would be desperate to take him on.
Only the shit-tier clubs would be interested.

We haven’t kicked the season off yet so tell me why the club should sit down with Brooks and discuss a new deal? What has he done that’s worthy of an extension? And please try to write a genuine answer instead of fanboy b.s.

Because he is a NRL level halves player, whether in the 6 or 7, and secondarily, a local player, which the WT club/s were founded upon.

I think people underestimate how clever Brooks is in making the most of his NRL career at a club that continues to back him. He only needs to start the season well and then enter into extension talks and get another 4 years on good money. Don'tbelieve for a minute that he won't look after his own best interests monetary wise even if he is not on marquee money.
Benji by all reports wants to join the coaches who have had a crack, and with no other experienced halves around the timing again will play in his favour.

You didn’t answer my question. A stupid article paws really? Are you that pathetic that you can’t even give me a straight answer as to why Brooks should be extended? You have to use an article my god you are pathetic.
The more you talk the more foolish you sound. You need a girlfriend.

But why should we re-sign him even if he would be cheap? I get the market is bleak for halves, but we’ve given him 10 years to try and lead us. If Brooks doesn’t do well with this new pack and even if we’ve re-signed him on a much cheaper deal, the bagging, insults and criticism won’t stop. If anything it’ll get even more intense because why he’s cheaper everyone will question and ask why we kept him? We actually need to see good footy from Brooks before we consider signing him on and that goes to all our players off contract not just him. No point keeping him if he is going to continue to struggle even with the pack improvement.
Did you read the whole post? It is not only because he is cheap. That is simply why now.

I said if the club Power brokers believe he can play quality football. And I gave (someone else's) analysis of why they may believe that.
If they don't believe he can then you don't re-sign him.

The market being bleak is a consideration. If there is an obvious better option, then fine. Move Brooks on and take the better option. But, if we take on a new, but lesser (due to limited options) half then it is only logical our results go backwards. How would this help in anyway moving forward with further results, recruitment or marketing. Even trying to retain upcoming halves, the narrative would be ruined Brooks career, we ruined the new half's career (because he theoretically is not as good as Brooks) why would they want to take a chance with their own career?

Finally, this is the most contentious point. "We actually need to see good footy from Brooks before we consider signing him". Many believe we have, see the previously quoted text (and yes, i know many including you believe we are yet too). The question as originally stated with regards to re-signing him is whether the decision makers at the club believe that he will play good footy moving forward. They have 10 years of playing data and a whole off-season with the new players to inform their opinion. I don't even disagree with waiting. But the point remains the longer the wait the more we will have to pay him if we do eventually re-sign him.

But the point remains the longer the wait the more we will have to pay him if we do eventually re-sign him.

Maybe. If he doesn't perform we'll get him for less or we just don't re-sign him. There are advantages to waiting.

I get the counter argument as well.

An award he did not deserve. Cronk should’ve won halfback of the year.
I find this a bit rough. Like him or not, he won it fair and square, didn’t cheat the rules or the cap and it wasn’t his fault everyone in front of him fell over.
Are you going round to Stephen Bradbury’s house to demand he give back his Olympic gold medal coz he didn’t deserve it?

Because he is a NRL level halves player, whether in the 6 or 7, and secondarily, a local player, which the WT club/s were founded upon.
Just because he’s a junior doesn’t mean we need to keep him. I believe in bringing in the juniors, but they actually need to be able to play. If Brooks can do well this year I’m fine with him staying but we shouldn’t negotiate until we actually see if he can perform.

I find this a bit rough. Like him or not, he won it fair and square, didn’t cheat the rules or the cap and it wasn’t his fault everyone in front of him fell over.
Are you going round to Stephen Bradbury’s house to demand he give back his Olympic gold medal coz he didn’t deserve it?
He may not have cheated the cap or rules but that doesn’t mean he also deserved to win. Cronk IMO should’ve won the award. You can disagree with me that’s fine. But I believe Cronk deserved it more.

The more you talk the more foolish you sound. You need a girlfriend.
Already got one mate. Tigers fan too and agrees with what I say in regards to Brooks. But unlike me she’s willing to give him a go with this new pack.

Maybe. If he doesn't perform we'll get him for less or we just don't re-sign him. There are advantages to waiting.

I get the counter argument as well.
yeah, i dont even really have an issue with waiting tbh. Just providing context for "why now".

He may not have cheated the cap or rules but that doesn’t mean he also deserved to win. Cronk IMO should’ve won the award. You can disagree with me that’s fine. But I believe Cronk deserved it more.
Nobody deserves to win a competition, unless your opponent cheated. Asked all the cyclists Armstrong beat.
You can believe what you like, people believe all sorts of stupid stuff, like the earth is flat, doesn’t make it true, but it is incorrect to say someone who did not win something fair and square deserves it more than someone who did win it fair and square. It’s just that simple.
Anyway I must have been really bored getting onto the Luke brooks thread and then debating something so illogical with a Brooks hater.

Gosh, I wonder why the roster didn’t improve under Madge?
Any ideas?
I wonder? , Could it be that he was operating under a $6.8m cap with his “best” players sitting in the grandstand?
He finally got that lazy $2.6m to work with and got sacked. Then the new CB deal increased the cap by another $2.5m. So with an extra $5.1m allocated to new contracts, yeh, I would think we should see some improvement.
Hastings would have been a Benji decision imo.
By last season every member of the 30 man squad were either signed or extended by Maguire and we were going backwards. Most in the squad were becoming worse players under his tutelage. He had to go

Staff online

Back