Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

We have plenty of money right now. Brooks salary isn't an issue for the club at all.
Don’t kid yourself … nothing like what we would have if he was off the books.
Throw in Nofo and Peachy as sweeteners.

I agree its hard to be in halves behind a weak pack that can't bend the line but our kicking game horrible. Burton puts up super high bombs very difficult to handle whereas our ones barely got up 10m also we don't get repeat sets with grubbers or kicks coming down on line .Repeat sets is a big indicator of halves performance

Don’t kid yourself … nothing like what we would have if he was off the books.
Throw in Nofo and Peachy as sweeteners.

It's not an issue when it comes to recruiting. It's simply not. Plus he is only here next year on the media salary.

On top of that you can't release players that are overpaid and end up ahead. It never works that way. Clubs will only pay what they consider fair value and we pick up the difference.

I think it's blatantly obvious Brooks doesn't make our top team in the halves. We need to be building towards the future and Brooks in the halves is not our future.

I agree its hard to be in halves behind a weak pack that can't bend the line but our kicking game horrible. Burton puts up super high bombs very difficult to handle whereas our ones barely got up 10m also we don't get repeat sets with grubbers or kicks coming down on line .Repeat sets is a big indicator of halves performance
And once again it falls back on our forwards getting smashed / fatigued. We were flat out making 30 meters a set getting bent backwards every tackle . Kinda hard for any half to get a kicking game spot on behind that garbage

What was the possession swing in the 1st half last week ? 62/38 bulldogs way …. We did well to scramble early but were noticeably on fumes in the 2nd half.

The acid test is we would offload Brooks if we could get another club to pick up 50% of his salary but its so high that I don't see any takers..

And once again it falls back on our forwards getting smashed / fatigued. We were flat out making 30 meters a set getting bent backwards every tackle . Kinda hard for any half to get a kicking game spot on behind that garbage

What was the possession swing in the 1st half last week ? 62/38 bulldogs way …. We did well to scramble early but were noticeably on fumes in the 2nd half.
Yes our pack is our biggest problem .2nd half against souths their pack rolled down field 70m every set. Then the manly pack steamrolled ours
as did the dogs especially Tevita Pangai.but zero repeat sets .?

Yes our pack is our biggest problem .2nd half against souths their pack rolled down field 70m every set. Then the manly pack steamrolled ours
as did the dogs especially Tevita Pangai.but zero repeat sets .?
we looked decent this year when our forwards actually got a roll on (Parra and south’s 1st game)

Fell into a heap with injuries / coaching circus etc and pack has just dogged it since. Team responsibility, not just 1 player

And plenty of roster spots available …. Weren’t we throwing big money at Angus chrichton?
Doesn't matter how much money we have the cap this year for all clubs
is $9.4 mill for top 30 players roster that is $310k ave per player. So if one player gets $1mill that leaves $8.4 mill for other 29

Doesn't matter how much money we have the cap this year for all clubs
is $9.4 mill for top 30 players roster that is $310k ave per player. So if one player gets $1mill that leaves $8.4 mill for other 29

Let's be factual:-

1. Brooks has 1 year left on his contract.
2. We've made our best two signings in years in Api and IP for next year (not the year after).
3. We have money in our cap and have attempted to sign Latrell for like 1 million.

So yes you are correct in that you can't give out dud contracts as they will screw you over longer term. We don't though have a problem this year or next year and Brooks surely won't be resigned on anything other than a token market value contract.

Whining about Brooks salary is just being played by womans day journalists.

I would keep Brooks because of the money we need to give another club to take him. I agree his form is poor, however, and you do need to try something different if it is not working. There are 3 or 4 forwards that should also be spending a bit of time in reserve grade - Garner, Tuilagi to name two off the top of my head. Who do you replace them with - anyone who wants to hit the opposition hard with his shoulders and work hard off the ball.
Agree on keeping Brooks IF we have to pay out really big money to move him on, better off keeping him as a utility half and see how he perform if he knows his value here and anywhere else must be seen for his own personal $$$$$ value

Agree on keeping Brooks IF we have to pay out really big money to move him on, better off keeping him as a utility half and see how he perform if he knows his value here and anywhere else must be seen for his own personal $$$$$ value

Agreed,it makes zero sense to pay him approx 500k to play elsewhere.He only has 1 year left and if no other club wants to pay the full amount of his contract he should see it out with WT

The go forward also creates time and space for kickers. Our pea heart forwards affect his kicking game. Not excusing his poor form of late but you can’t separate the two.

Let's be factual:-

1. Brooks has 1 year left on his contract.
2. We've made our best two signings in years in Api and IP for next year (not the year after).
3. We have money in our cap and have attempted to sign Latrell for like 1 million.

So yes you are correct in that you can't give out dud contracts as they will screw you over longer term. We don't though have a problem this year or next year and Brooks surely won't be resigned on anything other than a token market value contract.

Whining about Brooks salary is just being played by womans day journalists.
4. No one is taking into account that the club probably won’t make a decision till a new coach is appointed. He might get dropped, but they won’t be telling him he can go anywhere.

We did it with Mbye.....

M'Bye was supposedly about 300k not 500k and we had more than few players covering the positions he played.To be honest i have never agreed with the policy of paying parts of a players contract to play elsewhere.I still am disgusted that Sheens was paying contracts for some of our players to play at Cronulla and his overpaid replacement was next to useless

If I were building a club and Brooks was available, I wouldn't offer him anymore than 250k-300k a year. He'd be a good back-up half who can perhaps be a solid no.14. That's about the going rate for that kind of player.

If Newcastle or any team wants to chip in more than 300k of his contract, we'd be stupid to keep him. End of the day, being stubborn over his release is cutting off our nose to spite our face. Sometimes taking a loss can still be a win in the grand scheme of things.

Re: all the people blaming the pack ... we've had good players in our pack. We've had halves play great - Doueihi outperformed him significantly last year, Hastings has been leagues better this year. Our pack is god awful now obviously, but in prior years the issue has been Brooks being unable to steer them around the park (not entirely his fault since he's clearly not a halfback).

A pack is only as good as the organiser they have and structure around them. Brooks being unable to organise sets, find the turf on his kicks and put on points/generate repeat sets when we're in attacking position has always been the bigger problem. Not being able to capitalise on opportunities is demoralising - how many times can a forward keep putting their body on the line only for Brooks to throw a pass to their shins or a metre behind them?

Reactions: 851
M'Bye was supposedly about 300k not 500k and we had more than few players covering the positions he played.To be honest i have never agreed with the policy of paying parts of a players contract to play elsewhere.I still am disgusted that Sheens was paying contracts for some of our players to play at Cronulla and his overpaid replacement was next to useless
Yeah it's bad business , 100%

Can't ever believe the contract talks.
Some said Mbye was on 800, opp and we paid half.

It'd be worth it to get Brooks off our books.
He's inept.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back