Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

I meant assuming Madden extends we have Madden douhie Hastings possibly Laurie but not much else
I'd say we're ignoring the obvious - why would the Knights not sign Madden if we believe he is our future? He is out of contract at end of year, he is from Scone which is just up the road from Newcastle and has incrementally improved.

Yep thats the danger for WT procrastinating
Many will not like this but I believe it comes down to Sheens and his ability to relate to players. A couple of years under Sheens and Madden will be a much different player, similar or better than the on-field improvement in Robert Lui. The Knights' coach doesn't appear to be have a lot - Maguire lite.

I'd say we're ignoring the obvious - why would the Knights not sign Madden if we believe he is our future? He is out of contract at end of year, he is from Scone which is just up the road from Newcastle and has incrementally improved.

This is exactly what I was thinking. My assumption is that most clubs don't yet see Madden as a realistic option. He doesn't have a lot of flair in his game and he is a small player who will be targeted in defense.

I honestly don't see much between him and Brooks though. If anything I think Madden is a better organizing 7 compared to Brooks. I think Brooks might be a little better playing that running half role especially a little wider out.

If I was managing another club and that club needed a 7 you'd be all over Madden. It looks like no one wants him just yet though.

There are other factors as well. Madden is a lot younger and at this point you can give him a much lower value contract.

I'd re-sign Madden for us asap.

I honestly don't see much between him and Brooks though. If anything I think Madden is a better organizing 7 compared to Brooks. I think Brooks might be a little better playing that running half role especially a little wider out.
Was doubtful of how the team would go without Hastings going back to 7 and Madden taking the reins, but being at the game plus now watching the replays we really lost nothing without Brooks. In fact while Madden is debatably not as good a player as Brooks (yet), the team as a whole played exceptionally better.

Given the difference in experience and opportunities Madden is the obvious choice.

good point I know when he left scone then maitland system Joey was not happy.

This is exactly what I was thinking. My assumption is that most clubs don't yet see Madden as a realistic option. He doesn't have a lot of flair in his game and he is a small player who will be targeted in defense.

If I was managing another club and that club needed a 7 you'd be all over Madden. It looks like no one wants him just yet though.

There are other factors as well. Madden is a lot younger and at this point you can give him a much lower value contract.

I'd re-sign Madden for us asap.
at present Madden on par with Sean O'Sullivan's from Penrith
Newcastle may well make a play but think they need that big name of Brooks

Brooks thinks he has pressure on him here holey hell the pressure cooker of Newcastle supporters will be intense
I though dragons could move Hunt to 9 and look at Brooks at 7
Newcastle under Adam O'brien are a disaster. His pressers remind me of Madge. Saying the same things every week and honestly sounding a bit delusional.

Tim Sheens has issued a hands off warning to the Newcastle Knights, insisting Luke Brooks will be staying at Wests Tigers next season.

And despite Brooks last month hinting his time at the club might be coming to an end, Sheens said the Tigers are keen to extend his contract beyond 2023, when he is due to earn a reported $1.1 million.

“Obviously everyone would prefer for it to be at less money,” Sheens said.

“But we can sit down and negotiate with him and extend his contract out.”

It comes in the countdown to Sunday’s clash between the two clubs amid renewed speculation that the Knights are still desperate to tempt Brooks out of the Tigers for 2023.

The talk won’t go away that Brooks may have played his last game for the Tigers after going down with a season-ending calf injury last week.

Knights legend Andrew Johns was a driving force in trying to entice Brooks to Newcastle at the end of last year following Mitchell Pearce’s shock departure.

Johns went on the record saying he thought Brooks needed a change of scenery and that he could help the game’s most maligned playmaker fulfil his massive potential.

Johns recently signed an extension to stay on Adam O’Brien’s coaching staff next season, and some in Newcastle believe signing Brooks could be the key to saving O’Brien’s job as huge pressure builds on the Knights coach.

It was Sheens who stepped in last year and declared that Brooks would not be released.

Now Sheens has doubled down, adamant he and Tigers coach-in-waiting Benji Marshall want Brooks long term.

“I will stand by what I said,” Sheens said.

“On the record, he is contracted. Point blank.

“He is contracted to us next year. And I expect him to turn up for pre-season training.”

Sheens was just as confident that he and Benji could help bring the best out in Brooks, just as Johns thinks he can.

He even reminded us that under Ivan Cleary in 2018 Brooks was crowned Dally M halfback of the year.

“Ring Benj, he will tell you,” Sheens said. “Look, I rate the kid. He is a one club player.

“I think we can certainly between Marshall and myself bring him back into the game as the seven he was and he is.”

Asked if he could guarantee Brooks would be at the club next season, Sheens added: “Unless the world changes that is what I am doing.

“Honestly, can I ever say yes to anything? No one can.

“But I am not indicating (he is leaving) and I have told you, I mean it, I like the kid and I want him in the side.

“Benji loves him and wants him in the side. But we can’t say any more than that.”

Sheens said it was his intention to keep Brooks and Doueihi together as the halves combination, with Jackson Hastings the ball playing lock.

Sheens also has a good opinion of young Jock Madden but sees him as a work in progress given his limited experience.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings are all off contract at the end of next season, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

That is why Sheens insisted interim coach Brett Kimmorley moved Hastings to lock to accommodate all of them in the starting side before the club started any extension talks.

Unfortunately that plan has been put on hold with both Brooks and Hastings suffering season ending injuries.

“That is the only thing I really stood up and said,” Sheens explained. “I am not taking credit for it or anything like that.

“All I am saying is I said that was the way it was going to happen.

“We needed to look at it for the rest of this year before we made a decision (on the future) because I thought that was the best way it would work.

“And certainly with me coaching next year that will be the way it is going to work. It is only unfortunate now we have a situation with two of them out for the year.”

Tim Sheens has issued a hands off warning to the Newcastle Knights, insisting Luke Brooks will be staying at Wests Tigers next season.

And despite Brooks last month hinting his time at the club might be coming to an end, Sheens said the Tigers are keen to extend his contract beyond 2023, when he is due to earn a reported $1.1 million.

“Obviously everyone would prefer for it to be at less money,” Sheens said.

“But we can sit down and negotiate with him and extend his contract out.”

It comes in the countdown to Sunday’s clash between the two clubs amid renewed speculation that the Knights are still desperate to tempt Brooks out of the Tigers for 2023.

The talk won’t go away that Brooks may have played his last game for the Tigers after going down with a season-ending calf injury last week.

Knights legend Andrew Johns was a driving force in trying to entice Brooks to Newcastle at the end of last year following Mitchell Pearce’s shock departure.

Johns went on the record saying he thought Brooks needed a change of scenery and that he could help the game’s most maligned playmaker fulfil his massive potential.

Johns recently signed an extension to stay on Adam O’Brien’s coaching staff next season, and some in Newcastle believe signing Brooks could be the key to saving O’Brien’s job as huge pressure builds on the Knights coach.

It was Sheens who stepped in last year and declared that Brooks would not be released.

Now Sheens has doubled down, adamant he and Tigers coach-in-waiting Benji Marshall want Brooks long term.

“I will stand by what I said,” Sheens said.

“On the record, he is contracted. Point blank.

“He is contracted to us next year. And I expect him to turn up for pre-season training.”

Sheens was just as confident that he and Benji could help bring the best out in Brooks, just as Johns thinks he can.

He even reminded us that under Ivan Cleary in 2018 Brooks was crowned Dally M halfback of the year.

“Ring Benj, he will tell you,” Sheens said. “Look, I rate the kid. He is a one club player.

“I think we can certainly between Marshall and myself bring him back into the game as the seven he was and he is.”

Asked if he could guarantee Brooks would be at the club next season, Sheens added: “Unless the world changes that is what I am doing.

“Honestly, can I ever say yes to anything? No one can.

“But I am not indicating (he is leaving) and I have told you, I mean it, I like the kid and I want him in the side.

“Benji loves him and wants him in the side. But we can’t say any more than that.”

Sheens said it was his intention to keep Brooks and Doueihi together as the halves combination, with Jackson Hastings the ball playing lock.

Sheens also has a good opinion of young Jock Madden but sees him as a work in progress given his limited experience.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings are all off contract at the end of next season, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

That is why Sheens insisted interim coach Brett Kimmorley moved Hastings to lock to accommodate all of them in the starting side before the club started any extension talks.

Unfortunately that plan has been put on hold with both Brooks and Hastings suffering season ending injuries.

“That is the only thing I really stood up and said,” Sheens explained. “I am not taking credit for it or anything like that.

“All I am saying is I said that was the way it was going to happen.

“We needed to look at it for the rest of this year before we made a decision (on the future) because I thought that was the best way it would work.

“And certainly with me coaching next year that will be the way it is going to work. It is only unfortunate now we have a situation with two of them out for the year.”
This club is so stubborn I must say..
What is Sheens' fascination with Brooks?
Assuming then Madden will move elsewhere

I think Nu Brown will be the back up half next year from the 14 jersey when one of Brooks and Madden departs. He was mostly a half throughout his career to date ( a five eighth).

I think the knights perfer brooks over madden mainly due to the time needed,ponga after all the head knocks and injuries probably won't have a long career.

Madden if he ever becomes a quality half is probably needs at least a year or two to get there, while if they can get brooks to play with his 2018 form if not better would be a massive improvement on their current halves and take less time

Latest posts

Back