Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

Tim Sheens has issued a hands off warning to the Newcastle Knights, insisting Luke Brooks will be staying at Wests Tigers next season.

And despite Brooks last month hinting his time at the club might be coming to an end, Sheens said the Tigers are keen to extend his contract beyond 2023, when he is due to earn a reported $1.1 million.

“Obviously everyone would prefer for it to be at less money,” Sheens said.

“But we can sit down and negotiate with him and extend his contract out.”

It comes in the countdown to Sunday’s clash between the two clubs amid renewed speculation that the Knights are still desperate to tempt Brooks out of the Tigers for 2023.

The talk won’t go away that Brooks may have played his last game for the Tigers after going down with a season-ending calf injury last week.

Knights legend Andrew Johns was a driving force in trying to entice Brooks to Newcastle at the end of last year following Mitchell Pearce’s shock departure.

Johns went on the record saying he thought Brooks needed a change of scenery and that he could help the game’s most maligned playmaker fulfil his massive potential.

Johns recently signed an extension to stay on Adam O’Brien’s coaching staff next season, and some in Newcastle believe signing Brooks could be the key to saving O’Brien’s job as huge pressure builds on the Knights coach.

It was Sheens who stepped in last year and declared that Brooks would not be released.

Now Sheens has doubled down, adamant he and Tigers coach-in-waiting Benji Marshall want Brooks long term.

“I will stand by what I said,” Sheens said.

“On the record, he is contracted. Point blank.

“He is contracted to us next year. And I expect him to turn up for pre-season training.”

Sheens was just as confident that he and Benji could help bring the best out in Brooks, just as Johns thinks he can.

He even reminded us that under Ivan Cleary in 2018 Brooks was crowned Dally M halfback of the year.

“Ring Benj, he will tell you,” Sheens said. “Look, I rate the kid. He is a one club player.

“I think we can certainly between Marshall and myself bring him back into the game as the seven he was and he is.”

Asked if he could guarantee Brooks would be at the club next season, Sheens added: “Unless the world changes that is what I am doing.

“Honestly, can I ever say yes to anything? No one can.

“But I am not indicating (he is leaving) and I have told you, I mean it, I like the kid and I want him in the side.

“Benji loves him and wants him in the side. But we can’t say any more than that.”

Sheens said it was his intention to keep Brooks and Doueihi together as the halves combination, with Jackson Hastings the ball playing lock.

Sheens also has a good opinion of young Jock Madden but sees him as a work in progress given his limited experience.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings are all off contract at the end of next season, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

That is why Sheens insisted interim coach Brett Kimmorley moved Hastings to lock to accommodate all of them in the starting side before the club started any extension talks.

Unfortunately that plan has been put on hold with both Brooks and Hastings suffering season ending injuries.

“That is the only thing I really stood up and said,” Sheens explained. “I am not taking credit for it or anything like that.

“All I am saying is I said that was the way it was going to happen.

“We needed to look at it for the rest of this year before we made a decision (on the future) because I thought that was the best way it would work.

“And certainly with me coaching next year that will be the way it is going to work. It is only unfortunate now we have a situation with two of them out for the year.”
Shifty Sheens.
Seeya Brooks 👋

I have warmed to the idea of Brooks, Douihei as the halves pairing with Hastings at lock. Hastings only issue is a lack of speed but at lock he works well and ball plays well and is big enough to make good metres.

Personally I would have let brooks go as the salary cap is a big issue with 3 halves in one side. If they can make it work I’m not against it even though I feel Hastings is the superior halfback.

This puts more pressure on the front rowers so if we go down that path they have to find another big metre eater. Pole, Utoikamanu are good prospects but we need another coming through.

I hope Madden stays on and serves an apprenticeship under Sheens/Marshall/Farah. I believe like Rob Lui he will turn into a gifted half. I've always had a high opinion of his ability. It must run in the family as his cousin is the Wallaby half.

We’ll lose Madden next year if Brooks stays. Reading between the lines Brooks will sign elsewhere for 2024, and we normally release players early when that happens.

A good chance that neither Madden or Brooks are here in 2023.

We’ll lose Madden next year if Brooks stays. Reading between the lines Brooks will sign elsewhere for 2024, and we normally release players early when that happens.

A good chance that neither Madden or Brooks are here in 2023.
I can see us buggering this up.

I heard about the post match press conference by AOB from friends who support the Knights. He looks as though the pressure is getting to him.
AOB is the same bloke who, while he was carrying on like a twit on the booze at Newy Races. Asked security "Don't you know who I am?" When they asked him to pull his head in. I'm not surprised he started rattling off his coaching record as an assistant in that press conference. Bloke has huge tickets on himself

I'd say we're ignoring the obvious - why would the Knights not sign Madden if we believe he is our future? He is out of contract at end of year, he is from Scone which is just up the road from Newcastle and has incrementally improved

I'd say we're ignoring the obvious - why would the Knights not sign Madden if we believe he is our future? He is out of contract at end of year, he is from Scone which is just up the road from Newcastle and has incrementally improved.
As someone who lives in Newcastle and is mates with a fair few Knights fans. The main reason is perception. If the Knights after this season and after not retaining Milford signed up Madden who whilst talented is still inexperienced and developing the fanbase will loose their sh1t. They're looking at Brooks coz he's experienced and available. In saying that all my Knights fans mates are cringing at the prospect of Brooks being signed by Newcastle

The only 2 I care about is extending AD and Hastings before Nov 1..
If we retain them I am not concerned if its Brooks or Madden as I think both will suit our new style and uptempo play.
You can see how the team has brought in over the last 3 weeks with Hasting at Lock and it's unfortunate he got injured. This has all happened with out a lot of starters so imagine added Papa,Api, Stefo, Blore, etc...

Newcastle need an organising 7 much what we were hoping he would be. Brooks would be walking from the frying pan into the fire. He would be going as a player looking to resurrect his career and they are a club looking for a player to resurrect their position.

Well said. But we want to keep him
Shifty Sheens.
Seeya Brooks 👋

Having a change of thought bro,
I think we keep him another year.
He's way more accomplished
than Jock who I like but let's be
real...if Sheens wants him next
year and could do something
with him on a reduced contract
I don't see why not, I'm backing
the new regime, let's see 😆

Tim Sheens has issued a hands off warning to the Newcastle Knights, insisting Luke Brooks will be staying at Wests Tigers next season.

And despite Brooks last month hinting his time at the club might be coming to an end, Sheens said the Tigers are keen to extend his contract beyond 2023, when he is due to earn a reported $1.1 million.

“Obviously everyone would prefer for it to be at less money,” Sheens said.

“But we can sit down and negotiate with him and extend his contract out.”

It comes in the countdown to Sunday’s clash between the two clubs amid renewed speculation that the Knights are still desperate to tempt Brooks out of the Tigers for 2023.

The talk won’t go away that Brooks may have played his last game for the Tigers after going down with a season-ending calf injury last week.

Knights legend Andrew Johns was a driving force in trying to entice Brooks to Newcastle at the end of last year following Mitchell Pearce’s shock departure.

Johns went on the record saying he thought Brooks needed a change of scenery and that he could help the game’s most maligned playmaker fulfil his massive potential.

Johns recently signed an extension to stay on Adam O’Brien’s coaching staff next season, and some in Newcastle believe signing Brooks could be the key to saving O’Brien’s job as huge pressure builds on the Knights coach.

It was Sheens who stepped in last year and declared that Brooks would not be released.

Now Sheens has doubled down, adamant he and Tigers coach-in-waiting Benji Marshall want Brooks long term.

“I will stand by what I said,” Sheens said.

“On the record, he is contracted. Point blank.

“He is contracted to us next year. And I expect him to turn up for pre-season training.”

Sheens was just as confident that he and Benji could help bring the best out in Brooks, just as Johns thinks he can.

He even reminded us that under Ivan Cleary in 2018 Brooks was crowned Dally M halfback of the year.

“Ring Benj, he will tell you,” Sheens said. “Look, I rate the kid. He is a one club player.

“I think we can certainly between Marshall and myself bring him back into the game as the seven he was and he is.”

Asked if he could guarantee Brooks would be at the club next season, Sheens added: “Unless the world changes that is what I am doing.

“Honestly, can I ever say yes to anything? No one can.

“But I am not indicating (he is leaving) and I have told you, I mean it, I like the kid and I want him in the side.

“Benji loves him and wants him in the side. But we can’t say any more than that.”

Sheens said it was his intention to keep Brooks and Doueihi together as the halves combination, with Jackson Hastings the ball playing lock.

Sheens also has a good opinion of young Jock Madden but sees him as a work in progress given his limited experience.

Brooks, Doueihi and Hastings are all off contract at the end of next season, along with fullback Daine Laurie.

That is why Sheens insisted interim coach Brett Kimmorley moved Hastings to lock to accommodate all of them in the starting side before the club started any extension talks.

Unfortunately that plan has been put on hold with both Brooks and Hastings suffering season ending injuries.

“That is the only thing I really stood up and said,” Sheens explained. “I am not taking credit for it or anything like that.

“All I am saying is I said that was the way it was going to happen.

“We needed to look at it for the rest of this year before we made a decision (on the future) because I thought that was the best way it would work.

“And certainly with me coaching next year that will be the way it is going to work. It is only unfortunate now we have a situation with two of them out for the year.”
My god is everyone at Tigers HQ delusional? I like the kid but he hasn't got the runs on the. Board to offer another contract. He wins one game a year on his own if that.

We need to move on for our sake and Luke's.

Back