Luke Brooks - Mega Thread

Makes great sense actually. If we pay 500k for Brooks fro. This years cap then its 1.8 over 3 or 600k a year. However he is eligible for the long serving players part of the cap which is up to 188k a year so we are only paying 422k/ year for Brooks. That is great value and we woukdnt get better at market for 422k

Brooks and Madden are to me pretty much a wash. They can both play but they are both not going to be your marquee half. We have Doueihi for that role.

If Brooks is on fair dollars to us it makes sense.

You can't have Brooks on more than Hastings or Doueihi though. That is just dumb.

I think 600k is pushing it for Brooks but it's probably not far off.

Newcastle will be getting really desperate, if we can frontload Brooks 2023 with the nofo and gildart money and replace with Madden this hit on our 2023 cap will be manageable.
What we won't have is depth if we get injuries to Hastings or douhie etc
Think we might be able to play handball with Newcastle around brooks and make them pay 700k of his 2023 salary and if we can frontload say 200k then the hit on Brooks salary for 2023 is about 200k (plus whatever we sign Madden for say 250k) so all up 500k
Surely Madden would be demanding more than 250k to be the first string half back if that was to some how come off.

Yeah and I know, "Don't call me Shirley."

Madden will want more than 250, give him a great pay rise and make him starting half with AD. Brooks to reserve grade. There isn't a good spot for him on the bench. Otherwise we will lose Madden to some other team and watch him dominate.

Still seems excessive to be paying Brooks 400k or so for reserve grade. I think we should punt him and pay half his wage. Still seems better value.

We are in this weird mood where we give Brooks ownership of the team but he won't take ownership. Will be so great if he's not involved

Surely Madden would be demanding more than 250k to be the first string half back if that was to some how come off.

Yeah and I know, "Don't call me Shirley."

The common problem with these "Fantasy Football" times....
Anyone can assume a player is worth whatever they decide they're worth at that time.

In one breath - All and Sundry here will tell you Madden is a First Grade NRL Superstar Half
In the next, They'll tell you he'll sign for 3 years for 300k...

When were NRL Superstar Halves getting paid less anything than 500k

I heard on the vine today he is 100% gone.
I did just wake up from a nap tho so I could have dreamed it...

250-300k for Brooks at absolute most.

He is not a first grader ... which serious nrl team does he actually make first grade for? Not a hope in hell of playing for any of the teams currently in the top 8, nor most of the bottom 8.

Seriously Newcastle might be the only other side he plays first grade at currently. Possibly the Titans. Every other team has 2 or more halves that are better than him.

He is not a first grader ... which serious nrl team does he actually make first grade for? Not a hope in hell of playing for any of the teams currently in the top 8, nor most of the bottom 8.

Seriously Newcastle might be the only other side he plays first grade at currently. Possibly the Titans. Every other team has 2 or more halves that are better than him.

Depends which half you play him as, But the Dogs 7 Isn't better than him

gold Coast
Titans
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Souths he is better than Ilias
Dragons if Hunt went to 9
He is better than all the 7's in those teams to start with

Ask why Madden has not been picked up by any nrl club they could have spoken to him all year for 2023

gold Coast
Titans
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Souths he is better than Ilias
Dragons if Hunt went to 9
He is better than all the 7's in those teams to start with

Ask why Madden has not been picked up by any nrl club they could have spoken to him all year for 2023

Exactly......
Those that say he's not an "NRL Player" Don't know the arse from the elbow...

A bloke doesn't get to almost 200 games if he doesn't belong - No matter what team he plays for.

The Club faces a conundrum in that

Doueihi - 6 games back from a second knee recon - good player
Brooks - signed until end of 2023 - good player
Madden - unsigned - good young player but still learning
Hastings - a 13 with long rehab ahead of him -? about how he will return

Exactly......

A bloke doesn't get to almost 200 games if he doesn't belong - No matter what team he plays for.
exactly
can't see why in 2023 we can't have Hastings Brooks and douhie all in the starting 13
Madden may be a good player down the track who knows, I have my doubts but if he was this prodigious talent that some on here claim him to be someone would have snapped him up last November.
As for Brooks he keeps getting mentioned by other teams because he is a good solid 7

The Club faces a conundrum in that

Doueihi - 6 games back from a second knee recon - good player
Brooks - signed until end of 2023 - good player
Madden - unsigned - good young player but still learning
Hastings - a 13 with long rehab ahead of him -? about how he will return
in an ideal world Madden stays on for a further 3 years and Brooks gets an extension to take hom to end of 2025/26
who knows how douhie's knees hold up and Hastings too

in an ideal world Madden stays on for a further 3 years and Brooks gets an extension to take hom to end of 2025/26
who knows how douhie's knees hold up and Hastings too
I'd be giving Cayne Nicholas in the Flegg side as much game time as possible. His ball playing and impact from the interchange is impressive. Seems he could perform a role in the 13 jumper.

Exactly......

Brooks is proof that you can.

You also don't play 200 games without playing finals footy ... until Brooks came along.

Learn a thing or two about footy before you speak champ.

Brooks is proof that you can.

You also don't play 200 games without playing finals footy ... until Brooks came along.

Learn a thing or two about footy before you speak champ.

I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know

Champ.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back