Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment

G

Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment after heavy loss
Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp - Sun 22 Mar 2020, 08:26 PM

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire questioned his side's attitude after they conceded eight tries in a 42-24 loss to Newcastle on Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval.

Maguire's men rallied to trail by just two points with a quarter of the game remaining but were blown away by the Knights in the final 20 minutes.

The Wests Tigers' right edge in particular came under fire with seven tries, including two off kicks, coming through their defensive channel.

"It was extremely disappointing... that's not what we're about and will definitely have to fix that moving forward," Maguire said.

"I thought the game was there at half-time and it was about who wanted it more.

"That comes back to attitude towards how you want to play and sink your shoulder into a tackle.

"I thought our second half was really disappointing."

Maguire conceded the right edge of Benji Marshall and new recruits Joey and Luciano Leilua needed work and wasn't about to make excuses just because it was only their second game together.

"The boys have just got to find their shoulders," Maguire said.

"That comes back to attitude and understanding what your role is. You can talk about our right edge or middles, teams will pick apart individuals if you're not doing those sorts of things.

"We didn't want to turn up and put our shoulders into tackles and teams feel that and they'll find you.

"They turned up last week with a different attitude.

"It's about turning up week in and week out, that's what makes our competition."

Wests Tigers will host Canterbury in round three at Campbelltown Stadium with a seven-day turnaround at their disposal.

Bench forward Thomas Mikaele will be sent for scans on a knee injury but Maguire expected co-captain Moses Mbye and recent signing Harry Grant to be available for selection.

"We've still got work to do, without a doubt," Maguire said.

"I want to look at my squad and know who wants to own that performance because that's not acceptable to be a competitive team moving forward.

"I'm looking forward to watching my players take away any noise from the outside and go through that game because if we want to be a strong team within this competition we need to be strong with each other on how that performance was.

"We're grown men and have to own up."

More like a team adjustment is required
But it won't matter now
Comp will be over this week

Reading that, i don’t get the impression there will be sweeping changes.

@willow said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134795) said:
Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire questioned his side's attitude after they conceded eight tries in a 42-24 loss to Newcastle on Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval.

Maguire's men rallied to trail by just two points with a quarter of the game remaining but were blown away by the Knights in the final 20 minutes.

The Wests Tigers' right edge in particular came under fire with seven tries, including two off kicks, coming through their defensive channel.

"It was extremely disappointing... that's not what we're about and will definitely have to fix that moving forward," Maguire said.

"That comes back to attitude towards how you want to play and sink your shoulder into a tackle.

Maguire conceded the right edge of Benji Marshall and new recruits Joey and Luciano Leilua needed work and wasn't about to make excuses just because it was only their second game together.

"That comes back to attitude and understanding what your role is. You can talk about our right edge or middles, teams will pick apart individuals if you're not doing those sorts of things.

"We didn't want to turn up and put our shoulders into tackles and teams feel that and they'll find you.

"It's about turning up week in and week out, that's what makes our competition."

Wests Tigers will host Canterbury in round three at Campbelltown Stadium with a seven-day turnaround at their disposal.

Bench forward Thomas Mikaele will be sent for scans on a knee injury but Maguire expected co-captain Moses Mbye and recent signing Harry Grant to be available for selection.

"I want to look at my squad and know who wants to own that performance because that's not acceptable to be a competitive team moving forward.

"I'm looking forward to watching my players take away any noise from the outside and go through that game because if we want to be a strong team within this competition we need to be strong with each other on how that performance was.

Don't call for an attitude adjustment ...just give them an attitude adjustment

Bring Mark Carroll , Chief Harragon , Les Davidson and Peter Kelly down to training ..sort the pussies out

@happy_tiger said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134810) said:
Don’t call for an attitude adjustment …just give them an attitude adjustment
Bring Mark Carroll , Chief Harragon , Les Davidson and Peter Kelly down to training …sort the pussies out

Sorry Happy they are not allowed to leave the aged care facilities.

I've read that article so many times over the years but nothing changes.

@sheer64 said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134811) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134810) said:
Don’t call for an attitude adjustment …just give them an attitude adjustment
Bring Mark Carroll , Chief Harragon , Les Davidson and Peter Kelly down to training …sort the pussies out

Sorry Happy they are not allowed to leave the aged care facilities.

More reason to bring em down

Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter

Bring Mark Carroll , Chief Harragon , Les Davidson and Peter Kelly down to training ..sort the pussies out

That u John cena?

@TheDaBoss said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134825) said:
Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter

That u John cena?

No but Hobbo and Geo dress up as the Bella twins ....far out ..stuff of nightmares

@happy_tiger said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134829) said:
@TheDaBoss said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134825) said:
Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter

That u John cena?

No but Hobbo and Geo dress up as the Bella twins ....far out ..stuff of nightmares

But You keep calling us !

@hobbo1 said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134832) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134829) said:
Author - Alicia Newton
NRL.com Reporter

That u John cena?

But You keep calling us !

Yes and if I called you the names on here I call you it would be cooler ...Happy and I'd be looking for my baseball mitt ....self forum isolation I guess

@hobbo1 said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134806) said:
But he’ll pick Nofo again so what’s the point ?

Tsk tsk!!! Nofo is a tiger! We support him no matter what! Plus he’s loyal. Plus he tries super dooper hard every week. And he’s also got so much potential! Maybe it’s just cos our pack didn’t dominate this week?
Madge definitely has to pick Nofo!!!

A disgraceful and shameless group of performers passing themselves off as footballers. Madge called it well, the Leliuas forgot they are footballers and not having a stroll in the park. The forwards played like pussies and made no impact on the field at all. This made it difficult for the backs. The players are all at seas and it is a game they rather forget.

The coaches change, some of the players change but somethings remain the same.
No consistency, no heart, no progress... Been hearing it for close on a decade.

@Yossarian said in [Maguire calls for an attitude adjustment](/post/1134868) said:
The coaches change, some of the players change but somethings remain the same.
No consistency, no heart, no progress... Been hearing it for close on a decade.

Just another blow hard coach is Maguire .. keeps selecting players that have failed previously and will fail again . After 30 minutes basically changes multi positions on the run when these positions should of been finalised mid week.
I have no confidence that Maguire will be any different to an other coach the club has had over the years.
The coach can ramble on all he likes about mental attitude but if a player has not got the ability to compete at this level it is just mute! Even with the addition of some fresh faces this club still has a large portion of players that are not at the standard required ! When a 36 year old player in his swan song year is the best player on the park for you there are major issues with the quality of player that is on the park around him!

Garner has been ordinary. Blame the attack on Brooks not being there, but he has always had defensive issues

lol....many calls to extend Maguire have gone silent after 1 game...he's right though ..played like absolute garbage only to trail by 2 with 20mins to go...if they had the same attitude from the previous week..they win..

Members online

No members online now.
Back