Marina Go: A letter to Wests Tigers Members

cattivo

Dear Members,

As you are all well aware, Wests Tigers have made the difficult decision to allow Captain Robbie Farah permission to investigate opportunities to continue his playing career at another Club following the 2015 NRL season.

This decision is one that was made after much discussion and deliberation internally and was made with one goal in mind – to build a strong and successful Wests Tigers.

The Club understands that this decision has been hard for so many Members to come to terms with but it was one that was made with the best future interest of the Club at its core.

Wests Tigers want to take this opportunity to explain to Members the background of the situation, and hopefully clear up much of the misinformation that you would have read, seen or heard in the last couple of days.

It’s been well documented that aside from winning the 2005 Premiership Wests Tigers has only made the top eight on two other occasions. For a Club with this level of talent and support it’s not acceptable – this needs to change and we are building a team that will compete for titles in the future.

At the end of last year, both Jason Taylor and Phil Moss were appointed at the Club. They were given the task of turning the on-field performances around and along with this comes a range of tough decisions around player roster, processes and structures going forward. This is one of many of those tough decisions.

There have been a lot of questions regarding the timing of this announcement and I want to make it clear that the Club has worked hard with Robbie’s management to ensure that this was handled respectfully.

Unfortunately on Tuesday, we were informed that a media outlet was about to release the story to the public. It was obviously disappointing for those working hard behind the scenes to ensure that this was handled in the right manner. The Club wanted Members to hear this news from us first, rather than letting external sources break it.

Wests Tigers never intended to show any disrespect to Robbie – he is a Life Member of the Club and has provided great service since making his debut in 2003.

He will forever have a place in the heart of every Wests Tigers Member and so he should. He has achieved so much in the past 13 seasons and on behalf of the Club I would like to thank him for everything he has done – both on and off the field.

So what happens from here? Robbie’s contract has not been terminated, he has a contract with this Club for the next two seasons and that will be financially honoured no matter what. The Club will inform Members of what the future holds for Robbie when we’re in a position to do so.

The Club would like to thank its Members for their continued support, we understand that this decision would have come as a shock to you but rest assured that it was made with one goal in mind – building a team that will compete for premierships in the future.

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

Read the letter a few times but basically doesnt say anything new. A bit after the horse has bolted.

No surprises there…

Felllow supporters...the telling point here is over the last 10 years, apart from 2005, we have made the top 8 only 2 times...only 2 times....It shows was a mess this club has been from board right down to roster during this period....I'm right behind this decision...

"Robbie’s contract has not been terminated, he has a contract with this Club for the next two seasons and that will be financially honoured no matter what."

wow thats a little bit of back peddling considering all the media + interviews with both robbie and the coach over the last 2 days.

i wonder if my old mate Dawn gave marina a call / serve for this pathetic mess the club has created.

Out of all the 'respectful' interviews and letters that I have heard and read, since the news flash about Robbie, there are some sad common themes.

1\. This decision was made for the future of our club
2\. We have nothing but respect for Robbie our captain o'captain

So to improve we have to get rid of our rep hooker and club captain?

It is not about money.

It has to be something else but unfortunately no-one will ever admit to that truth. Much the same as when Benji left to today, what is the real truth?

So the innuendo continues. Respect?

It is not about the money or the salary cap, let's just admit that.
It must be a personality thing between captain and coach, captain and players, captain and board? All of these?

I truly don't know if this will improve us as a club. Time will tell.
I will still be around as a supporter years from now. I don't know any different. I don't know any better, truth be told.

If I could change one thing though? It would be to see Robbie retire as a Wests Tiger player. Sorry Robbie, that's not my call.

@alexaki said:
No surprises there…

Felllow supporters...the telling point here is over the last 10 years, apart from 2005, we have made the top 8 only 2 times...only 2 times....It shows was a mess this club has been from board right down to roster during this period....I'm right behind this decision...

Without Farah we would have been a lot worse
That Fluff piece meant nothing .
Except she says that his contract will be paid out even if he stays.
Has anyone explained to her that, in that case we save exactly$0.00
What happens if our new superstar doesn't perform or gets injured and Farah is ripping up first grade. Is JT going to refuse to play him? This gets dopier every day.

Go has been full of egagerated statements , then backflips and says that the previous state didn't mean what she wanted it to then not buying players til 2018 , then yes we can buy players for next year, is she ever not lying, think she's been hanging around Taylor too much. What a disappointment she has been
Please Marina , next time you try to snow us with a release which says nothing think again.
As for respecting Robbie , don't make me laugh.

So it's Robbie's fault we haven't been making finals?
Bloody hell this club sucks at making these types of statements.

A good statement from the club and Marina continues to impress and show that the board and club now won't shy away from the hard decisions needed and the hard work including letting go players when necessary for the good of the club, putting the club above the individual as it should be but so often hasn't been for Wests Tigers. The easy way out of this would have been to keep Robbie and continue to struggle for the next few years but they have made the hard call and I am sure expected a tough time from those who let emotions rule over logic (which is legitimate as a fan).

I continue to be impressed by our new board and also the way our club is looking to the future - for the first time in years we are being run as a professional organisation and not a mates club

Can you imagine Melbourne doing this to Cam Smith?

@Boonboon2 said:
A good statement from the club and Marina continues to impress and show that the board and club now won't shy away from the hard decisions needed and the hard work including letting go players when necessary for the good of the club, putting the club above the individual as it should be but so often hasn't been for Wests Tigers. The easy way out of this would have been to keep Robbie and continue to struggle for the next few years but they have made the hard call and I am sure expected a tough time from those who let emotions rule over logic (which is legitimate as a fan).

I continue to be impressed by our new board and also the way our club is looking to the future - for the first time in years we are being run as a professional organisation and not a mates club

I see the WTs' spin Dept briefing session has ended and we're about to be regaled with endless clichés.

I think this is excellent! How often did we scream for our previous CEO or chairman to make a statement about anything…..and got NOTHING. Thats right, NOTHING!!! Dont you guys remember?

There are many streams of thought on the Farah issue and I see both sides. I can read between the lines. I dont expect the club to come out and say he's been punted because he is a devisive pain and not a team player, which is the crux of it. Anyone other that us WT fans have been saying that for years.

I am so glad that the mysterious leak early in the week, with the clear intention to paint Robbie as the victim and the club as a-holes has backfired. Coach and chairman have come out publicly and not buckled.

Im disappointed that Robbie wont finish his time with us, but in a weird way im sort of relieved. I just pray, now that the message is clear to Robbie, that we make a clean cut and start 2016 fresh. I seriously hope that with Farah gone, we will see the end of 'tail wagging the dog' and the players running the show.

_Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.4_

@goldcoast tiger said:
Go has been full of egagerated statements , then backflips and says that the previous state didn't mean what she wanted it to then not buying players til 2018 , then yes we can buy players for next year, is she ever not lying, think she's been hanging around Taylor too much. What a disappointment she has been
Please Marina , next time you try to snow us with a release which says nothing think again.

Go never said 'we can't buy anyone until 2018'.

@goldcoast tiger said:

Well with what is being drip feed from others other than at the Tigers maybe Ms Go is in deed showing Farah respect from what is starting to unfold well respect?

@Boonboon2 said:

Agree … However they really need to learn how to handle the big issues. I know it's hard to keep things away from the media but maybe they need to be more up front and open with the members. They took too long to let us know what was going on. They need to do better.

@Swordy said:
I think this is excellent! How often did we scream for our previous CEO or chairman to make a statement about anything…..and got NOTHING. Thats right, NOTHING!!! Dont you guys remember?

There are many streams of thought on the Farah issue and I see both sides. I can read between the lines. I dont expect the club to come out and say he's been punted because he is a devisive pain and not a team player, which is the crux of it. Anyone other that us WT fans have been saying that for years.

I am so glad that the mysterious leak early in the week, with the clear intention to paint Robbie as the victim and the club as a-holes has backfired. Coach and chairman have come out publicly and not buckled.

Im disappointed that Robbie wont finish his time with us, but in a weird way im sort of relieved. I just pray, now that the message is clear to Robbie, that we make a clean cut and start 2016 fresh. I seriously hope that with Farah gone, we will see the end of 'tail wagging the dog' and the players running the show.

Swordy, the club had done enormous damage to its credibility in the manner in which this whole matter has been mishandled. Actually, it has been so badly mishandled that there appears to be correlation between the mishandling of this issue and our performance this year. The common link of course being our coach. I believe the issue is Farah knows Taylor can't coach and therefore does not believe his "vision".

I don't have an issue with the decision …..

I do however have particular Issue with the timing and the way they are now trying to force him to leave ....

Had they told Robbie's Managment at the start of the season .... Robbie would have sorted himself out for next year by mid season ... And we would all have a chance to farewell him in he way a club legend deserves to farewelled ......

But it has been botched ..... The threat of Relegating Farah to reserve grade is very harsh also ...... If they are concerned about Farrah's influence, and want to reduce in it an effort to change the culture .... They could have taken the captaincy away from him , and rested him a few games around origin

@Pawsandclaws said:
@Swordy said:

Swordy, the club had done enormous damage to its credibility in the manner in which this whole matter has been mishandled. Actually, it has been so badly mishandled that there appears to be correlation between the mishandling of this issue and our performance this year. The common link of course being our coach. I believe the issue is Farah knows Taylor can't coach and therefore does not believe his "vision".

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect what you say. However, I disagree.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back