Marshall

hybrid_tiger

I've defended him alot, but he is really starting to shit me this year.

Playing halfback or not how many [This word has been automatically removed]ing times does he throw forward passes, kick straight down the throat of the opposing wingers and fullback, kick out on the full (did not happen tonight surprisingly) or kick on the first or second tackle and give away possession.

Much like our coach, it seems he will never learn. Deja-vu, week after week.

@hybrid_tiger said:
I've defended him alot, but he is really starting to s*** me this year.

Playing halfback or not how many **** times does he throw forward passes, kick straight down the throat of the opposing wingers and fullback, kick out on the full (did not happen tonight surprisingly) or kick on the first or second tackle and give away possession.

Much like our coach, it seems he will never learn. Deja-vu, week after week.

And yet, he throws one freakish pass, and the media adores him…I wonder how popular he is with his fellow players...

I'm not convinced he was that bad against Brisbane.

I think the forward pass was line ball and Brisbane got the benefit of the doubt. His kicking game was reasonsably effective as well.

My problem is that he didn't run the ball enough and for all the talk about him being so effective out wife when he got out wide he stepped towards the sideline, got hammered and taken out. I'd prefer him to base his game around straight running.

he does look more dangerous, when he runs straight.
would not be suprised too see either Wade Mc or Blake Ayshford running very close to him so, if he makes a line break he can get ball to them.
he is completing each game, and that in itself is a bonus.

Benji is and always will be a bad territorial kicker and a bad organiser.

He is being coached by someone that does not realise Benji is not good at any of these things and should not do any of these things.

He should only ever be a 2nd and 3rd receiver and thats it. Nothing else.
The longer Benji is coached by the Fonz the worse he becomes.

I think last night showed that he can kick the ball beautifully and very well at times.
When we kciked early there was some very good, ground finding kicks into open space, he needs to work on positioning himself and his timing…...
But generally yeh he is frustrating.
My main gripe is the solo play when its not on that finds us in real bad field possy

The kicking wasn't as bad as it has been last night but what really pissed me off where his hand offs to guys in worse positions. It's like he was scared of being tackled last night. Farah was guilty of it at times to.

In the first half the pass to Ellis on the last was terrible. Handing it off to Ayshford inside him who had worked his ring out in defence was just really week as well

He found good space with a couple of 4th tackle kicks.

In regard to that forward pass, it was a 50/50 call. Fitzy's pass to him from dummy half earlier on was more blatant.

He struggled out wide. I think as McKinnon gels, you'll find Benji running straighter with McKinnon running off his hip. He still caught extra attention from the defenders last night though, which means he is still a concern for opposing teams. Sheens should be capitalising on that.

In saying that, Benji was not our worst performer last night.

well first off that pass wasnt even forward…bad call from the refs there.....

notice benji rarely if not never had these types of games with moltz at 7....i think benji just tries too hard when sheens puts a make shift half in there with him...lawry wasnt offering anything at 6 lastnight and benji tried to hard....if he wasnt trying id slam him but you could see he was busting his butt trying to get this team some points...

also benji is the best anticipator in the NRL if not all of league....how many of those tries has he scored in his career...the guy is a freak in that aspct of the game

another thing i wanna know is where has his step gone...was it his knee injury and he cant do it anymore....just thinking when he got bundled into touch that 3 year ago he would of put on the big step and cut back inside...he rarely does it anymore

@Balmain Bug said:
Benji is and always will be a bad territorial kicker and a bad organiser.

He is being coached by someone that does not realise Benji is not good at any of these things and should not do any of these things.

He should only ever be a 2nd and 3rd receiver and thats it. Nothing else.
The longer Benji is coached by the Fonz the worse he becomes.

Bug - with all due respect but all of your points above where proven false last night.

@ron burgandy said:
i think benji just tries too hard when sheens puts a make shift half in there with him…lawry wasnt offering anything at 6 lastnight and benji tried to hard....if he wasnt trying id slam him but you could see he was busting his butt trying to get this team some points...

That's how I see it too. Whenever he plays at halfback, it's like he feels he needs to change his game which has the effect of his game completely falling apart. That's not to say he hasn't had some shockers at 6, or that his long-kicking is horrendous in general, but whenever he plays at half and feels he needs to feed the ball off with every touch, he can make the whole team look bad.

Life's only as hard as you make it - Benji plays his best football wide and when he runs it regularly, so let's keep him there.

i thought his chip and regather would've worked if we actually had chases on kicks, if he had a support player with him they would've come close to scoring

@wicked_j said:
i thought his chip and regather would've worked if we actually had chases on kicks, if he had a support player with him they would've come close to scoring

The thing is these incidents are off the cuff, spur of the moment actions usually only known by the players performing them…..need someone very quick and in close proximity like a slater or soward to support these type plays

Once again excuses for Marshall, oh poor dittums is playing at half back, poor dittums doesnt have another half, poor dittums tries too hard. WHAT ROT! His kicking game in the first half was terrible, he found a Bronco on the chest every time, not one of their back three had to move to field a kick. The pass from dummy half was forward, last week he dropped the ball at dummy half twice. He doesnt run straight to put the defence in two minds, he runs sideways and either gets thrown into touch (again!!) or offloads to a teammate who is thrown over, often he calls people inside so they can get smashed, he doesnt run at the line. Defending your line for the 4th set in a row and he does a short kick and chase. Anyone who is happy with their most expensive player at the moment doesnt know footy.

@scarcev said:
Once again excuses for Marshall, oh poor dittums is playing at half back, poor dittums doesnt have another half, poor dittums tries too hard. WHAT ROT! His kicking game in the first half was terrible, he found a Bronco on the chest every time, not one of their back three had to move to field a kick. The pass from dummy half was forward, last week he dropped the ball at dummy half twice. He doesnt run straight to put the defence in two minds, he runs sideways and either gets thrown into touch (again!!) or offloads to a teammate who is thrown over, often he calls people inside so they can get smashed, he doesnt run at the line. Defending your line for the 4th set in a row and he does a short kick and chase. Anyone who is happy with their most expensive player at the moment doesnt know footy.

so sad but so true

@innsaneink said:
I think last night showed that he can kick the ball beautifully and very well at times.
When we kciked early there was some very good, ground finding kicks into open space, he needs to work on positioning himself and his timing…...
But generally yeh he is frustrating.
My main gripe is the solo play when its not on that finds us in real bad field possy

That was the best Benji kicked in ages…..the chase.......Meh

Soward kicks for the Dragons from 5/8th...

Farah is our other general play kicker......Unfortunately .....Lawrence didn't get a chance to showcase his kicking game...don't think he kicked it once..Once we get Robbie Lui back it will take a bit of pressure on both Farah and Marshall....

As for Benji himself....well it's just the continual developement of the protege......Benji Marshall.....Rugby League player....Why are people so surprised.... :confused:

@fainty said:
It's hard to please some people!

You must be easily pleased.

He is on $400K a season. I expect someone getting paid that amount of money not to make the same mistakes over and over again, week after week, year after year.

@scarcev said:

Your right man…and I dont like saying that but he is trying so hard at the moment that his efforts are fast becoming detrimental to the side.

:laughing: Trying too hard….

That will do me....

Best excuss ever..... :laughing:

Back