Memories

Grew up in a Wests Tigers family, Dad’s a Balmain turned Wests Tigers supporter, I was born ‘01 so have only ever known the merged club.

Only became really interested in watching as an eight-year-old in 2010, when we signed Lote Tuqiri.

Thought the big dreadlocks were the coolest thing as a kid and we were a great side back then, which helped draw a young fan like myself into watching regularly.

Growing up in Western Sydney, the Benji factor and even Beau Ryan’s Footy Show appearances making him such a recognisable face for even my non-footy watching mates at school, meant we were such a fun side to follow back then.
you play for us dont you???or just a footy perve,with the goss,on the youngen;sTHANKS

Hahahaha no, I don’t play anymore.

I’m at the age now though (20), where the kids that used to play with myself and my brothers (they’re 18 and 15) are making the junior rep systems now, so I know a lot of them well.
cheers buddy,yours and a few others input on the juniors makes it easy to keep a handle on who;s who in the zoo

Wow, we really see things differently.
To me Slater is the greatest anticipator of where the ball will be I have ever seen. No one comes close to be honest. He also stopped more tries than Jimmy ever attempted. Couple that with his his explosive pace and superior ball handling...Jimmy aint in the conversation Im afraid.
Billy Slater is still the best fulllback of all time

I remember watching Melb warm up at LO one day i think the year after they got stripped of their premierships.
We were on the fence on the hill side, fans giving it to them about the lost trophies....their trainer trying to justify it all with everyone

Slater was on the tryline and Cronk on the 40m....kicking the ball to each other on the full...they didnt have to take more than a step to catch it....was good to watch the accuracy

I remember watching Melb warm up at LO one day i think the year after they got stripped of their premierships.
We were on the fence on the hill side, fans giving it to them about the lost trophies....their trainer trying to justify it all with everyone

Slater was on the tryline and Cronk on the 40m....kicking the ball to each other on the full...they didnt have to take more than a step to catch it....was good to watch the accuracy
I remember watching Slater donkey kick Skando while Skando was on the ground at LO then running away because he was about to get murdered.....good times

Different eras make for different styles.
Barnes was fantastic in his era as were Langlands and Jack in theirs.
Slater took every aspect of fullback play to the next level ....the only player who maybe beats him in one aspect is tedesco with his continual involvement in a game ...but even that can cause a detriment as you can become to centralized attack wise and can lose the entire effectiveness of your halves and backline ....at times Tedesco actually stifles the Roosters ..and Manu has been doing the same for NZ playing a carbon copy style fullback role

Slater took every aspect of fullback play to the next level ....the only player who maybe beats him in one aspect is tedesco with his continual involvement in a game ...but even that can cause a detriment as you can become to centralized attack wise and can lose the entire effectiveness of your halves and backline ....at times Tedesco actually stifles the Roosters ..and Manu has been doing the same for NZ playing a carbon copy style fullback role
Yes and it has become obvious the past couple of seasons.
I would say Teddy's attacking style has become the equivalent of a hit and hope. He hogs the ball, hits the line and hopes defenders fall off him. This is despite the three man overlap outside him on many occasions.

I'm interested to know if people think Teddy is a better player now than when he was at the Tigers, I dont think so. He was magnificent with us, stood out like a beacon in an average side. Yes he's gone onto bigger and better things but also has been playing with the superstars of the game.

I'm interested to know if people think Teddy is a better player now than when he was at the Tigers, I dont think so. He was magnificent with us, stood out like a beacon in an average side. Yes he's gone onto bigger and better things but also has been playing with the superstars of the game.
As far as being a better player individually, not a lot IMO. Natural progression would've seen him develop his game at WT too, being in a star studded team has just let him be able to pick and choose his moments to get involved, with the team he had around him at WT he tried to do it all himself. He's still an average defender but to be fair most fullbacks in the NRL can't tackle to save themselves anyway.

😂 I’m really 50-50 😂
The worst part about getting concussed is when you didn’t see it coming.
As a fullback back in the 80's you knew it was coming ...if they got that bomb right .....and you couldn't look or shy away from it ...many people knock Billy Slater reaction with the foot / leg in the air ......but it would have been a smart way to protect yourself

Did they make Changa an Immortal by accident?
No ...but if they'd seen Slater or Tedesco by that stage Changa wouldn't be an Immortal now ...he was a great player no doubt ...but the 2 mentioned have taken the position to a level he couldn't have dreamed reaching ...no one could have .......this is probably going to be controversial ...but Lockyer even exceeds Changa ...and it's not Changa's fault ....the fullback role has changed so much from those days .....even from the 90's it was completely different

No ...but if they'd seen Slater or Tedesco by that stage Changa wouldn't be an Immortal now ...he was a great player no doubt ...but the 2 mentioned have taken the position to a level he couldn't have dreamed reaching ...no one could have .......this is probably going to be controversial ...but Lockyer even exceeds Changa ...and it's not Changa's fault ....the fullback role has changed so much from those days .....even from the 90's it was completely different
As old mate Geo used to say.....stop licking the toads.

The Turd and Slater head and shoulders above Changa you reckon?😂😂😂😂

Members online

Back