Mental Health Discussion

Same and that's the only reason I responded. Was only emphasising the importance of addressing performance anxiety and other issues. Identifying stressors (in competitive sports) and nurturing this side of player development too.
Lauren,I can assure you the clubs have programs in place and people on hand to deal with player mental issues...
The youth have to be trained early on about the high salaries that can be earned and the pressure to perform that comes with it....
I can tell you that when I played,I had my share of people booing me,calling me a wog and other abuse while on the playing field,I also had some dicks abusing me at the club after the game which didnt worry me I just told them to go out and do what I do then I might take notice of them,these things were rare though...
Todays problems arise because of so much access to social media,its to easy to be a troll or keyboard warrior when no one can see them,this is the danger that all high profile sports people are open to,thats the area where it is the most dangerous,it only takes some type of abuse that can set someone onto the road of no return,suicide comes to mind....this in my opinion is what causes people the most grief....love to you Lauren..

Do expand
So because players are struggling with a mental illness they are not up to scratch? I get what you're saying there are plenty of other jobs they can do but if you have the talent why wouldn't you pursue your dreams and earn the big dollars. Having a mental illness doesn't make you weak and incapable of achieving things, it just needs to be managed properly.

So because players are struggling with a mental illness they are not up to scratch? I get what you're saying there are plenty of other jobs they can do but if you have the talent why wouldn't you pursue your dreams. Having a mental illness doesn't make you weak and incapable of achieving things.
I’m not sure how you got that out of what I wrote. My point was simply that players need to accept that their performance will be heavily scrutinised when they are playing a professional sport. Fans will be brutal sometimes, they could face being demoted or cut by their team. An injury could end it in a second. And hopefully clubs prepare them for those realities. I did not make any reference to anyone suffering a mental illness.

I’m not sure how you got that out of what I wrote. My point was simply that players need to accept that their performance will be heavily scrutinised when they are playing a professional sport. Fans will be brutal sometimes, they could face being demoted or cut by their team. And hopefully clubs prepare them for those realities. I did not make any reference to anyone suffering a mental illness.
Maybe I've misinterpreted what you said. It was posted in the Mental Health discussion thread so I assumed you were talking about players with mental health issues.

Maybe I've misinterpreted what you said. It was posted in the Mental Health discussion thread so I assumed you were talking about players with mental health issues.
I think you have.

Tony said “Reminder to fans posting crap online it's just a game and the person mental health should come first.”

I have no issue with fans discussing performance of a team/player online. There is always another human in line to take their spot and their welfare is just as important. That’s all I argued.

Where it crosses into anything unlawful such as racism, homophobia etc. it should be dealt with harshly.

Last edited:
I think you have.

Tony said “Reminder to fans posting crap online it's just a game and the person mental health should come first.”

I have no issue with fans discussing performance of a team/player online. There is always another human in line to take their spot and their welfare is just as important. That’s all I argued.
Mate I didnt want to butt into your discussion with upthetigers,I only want to mention one thing that should be taken into account ie some things said or done affect different personalities in different ways,what I mean by that is some abuse runs of a persons back like water off a ducks back,that same abuse can send another person completely off the deep end and into a downward spiral..totally agree with you that we are all human and everybodies welfare is always paramount..I suppose what Im saying is when it comes to mental issues you cant treat them all the same,each is different and varying but just as important...cheers mate...

Mate I didnt want to butt into your discussion with upthetigers,I only want to mention one thing that should be taken into account ie some things said or done affect different personalities in different ways,what I mean by that is some abuse runs of a persons back like water off a ducks back,that same abuse can send another person completely off the deep end and into a downward spiral..totally agree with you that we are all human and everybodies welfare is always paramount..I suppose what Im saying is when it comes to mental issues you cant treat them all the same,each is different and varying but just as important...cheers mate...
We don’t know what anyone is going through mate. But I’m not going to stop critiquing footy players because they may have something going on. When they signed their contract they agreed to have their football performance under the microscope. If someone is suffering I’d expect their club to get them help and a break from the game would be the best course of action imo.

Lauren,I can assure you the clubs have programs in place and people on hand to deal with player mental issues...
The youth have to be trained early on about the high salaries that can be earned and the pressure to perform that comes with it....
I can tell you that when I played,I had my share of people booing me,calling me a wog and other abuse while on the playing field,I also had some dicks abusing me at the club after the game which didnt worry me I just told them to go out and do what I do then I might take notice of them,these things were rare though...
Todays problems arise because of so much access to social media,its to easy to be a troll or keyboard warrior when no one can see them,this is the danger that all high profile sports people are open to,thats the area where it is the most dangerous,it only takes some type of abuse that can set someone onto the road of no return,suicide comes to mind....this in my opinion is what causes people the most grief....love to you Lauren..
Thanks 🥰
Sorry was probably too vague with my comments regarding helping players identify stressors in competitive sports, was purely meant in context with the psychological aspect of competition.
I agree social media is very harmful and reckon it'd be just as detrimental on a player's confidence (and mindset) as any duress felt or suffered during the ongoing challenges with poor individual/team form.

I’d hope the clubs are offering proper education to players as their career could be over a week after it starts. Not many jobs that cut throat.
Absolutely, the commentators live for the drama where things can change overnight, as the saying goes, you’re only as good as your last game.
Watching nrl 360 yesterday the commentary on Tigers v Eels game had changed from Brooks bashing to “does Moses have the skill to ice a game?”

Absolutely, the commentators live for the drama where things can change overnight, as the saying goes, you’re only as good as your last game.
Watching nrl 360 yesterday the commentary on Tigers v Eels game had changed from Brooks bashing to “does Moses have the skill to ice a game?”
And that’s only fair on the aspiring halves at the club. There comes a point where if his form is really bad, they deserve a chance. It’s a performance industry.

And that’s only fair on the aspiring halves at the club. There comes a point where if his form is really bad, they deserve a chance. It’s a performance industry.
Absolutely. There is no harm in asking the question and dissecting a performance with good intentions. It's as you say , fair on those working hard for an opportunity. We need to recognise though, that a team sport is full of moving parts.

Absolutely. There is no harm in asking the question and dissecting a performance with good intentions. It's as you say , fair on those working hard for an opportunity. We need to recognise though, that a team sport is full of moving parts.
I guess that’s the key. Assess and critique a guy based on his contribution to the team. Constructive criticism. When the bagging becomes repeated and not based on actual performance it is getting into bullying territory, which imo is not on.

We don’t know what anyone is going through mate. But I’m not going to stop critiquing footy players because they may have something going on. When they signed their contract they agreed to have their football performance under the microscope. If someone is suffering I’d expect their club to get them help and a break from the game would be the best course of action imo.

I’m pretty sure most footy players would handle critiques of their performances on the field..

It’s the other garbage of personal insults not only directed at them but their family by hero’s with a keyboard that have a greater effect on their mental health ..

I’m pretty sure most footy players would handle critiques of their performances on the field..

It’s the other garbage of personal insults not only directed at them but their family by hero’s with a keyboard that have a greater effect on their mental health ..
I don’t tweet or Insta and I think that’s probably where most of that rubbish goes on. Think brooksy has the right idea just avoiding it.

think NRL teams get Government,charity kickbacks for supporting the cause,players are well catered 4 with their issues.yet many industries, companies support ,brag. Beyond Blue as an example.the bbg,R U O K day,yet lack any knowledge [man d F up] or will to touch it with a 10 ft pole.until youve walked the walk or excepted it with a loved one ,????

Where laws are broken the police should deal with it. Fans are passionate and without that the opportunity that players have to earn a living isn’t there. Thick skin is part of the gig.
They are human beings not robots. It’s that fact in itself that makes the game unpredictable and exciting. I’m sure everyone is prepared to an inch of their life when they step on the field but the nature of the contest is what determines the outcome. At the end of the day as disappointed as you might be from the result as soon as they step off the field their job is over and they become people of society once again. People should just embrace the spectacle and leave the criticism of the individual performances to the team staff.

I do wonder though, if the programs you speak of deal with the mental health of the players from after the event. Ie dealing with a heavy defeat or public scrutiny etc.
I have only heard of players personally enlisting mental health coaches for their own performance such as when Tedesco hired a mind coach when he went to the Roosters.
Nicko Hynes recently spoke on a podcast about his own battle with mental health and how he has learnt to manage it and in coming to Cronulla as their 7 hired his own mind coach to help him with mental health plan to manage the highs and lows of playing in position of high expectations.
My question is do clubs have mental health coaches to proactively assist players with how to play within or beyond expectations or to manage their stress, anger or confidence levels in games.

I do wonder though, if the programs you speak of deal with the mental health of the players from after the event. Ie dealing with a heavy defeat or public scrutiny etc.
I have only heard of players personally enlisting mental health coaches for their own performance such as when Tedesco hired a mind coach when he went to the Roosters.
Nicko Hynes recently spoke on a podcast about his own battle with mental health and how he has learnt to manage it and in coming to Cronulla as their 7 hired his own mind coach to help him with mental health plan to manage the highs and lows of playing in position of high expectations.
My question is do clubs have mental health coaches to proactively assist players with how to play within or beyond expectations or to manage their stress, anger or confidence levels in games.
In answer to your question mate,I think they have councellors available,and these people may refer them to a phsycologist if they may be to overburdened...not real sure but now apparently with Drs for HIAs etc the NRL are caring more these days about player health,Im sure they would look at all aspects of health,as far as mind coaches go,that would be up to the individual to choose if need be....

In answer to your question mate,I think they have councellors available,and these people may refer them to a phsycologist if they may be to overburdened...not real sure but now apparently with Drs for HIAs etc the NRL are caring more these days about player health,Im sure they would look at all aspects of health,as far as mind coaches go,that would be up to the individual to choose if need be....
That is interesting that it is up to the individual. If there was any way to get an edge on opposing teams in the competition it would be to hire a mind coach for the players to tap into to help dealing with in game performance.

Back