Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paws, Morris jumped in there 2019-21 when the Sharkies had,
Katoa, Johnson,Moylan,Feki, Dugan, Chad Townsend, Fafita, J.Brailey, Prior, Nikora, Capewell, Gallen, B. Brailey, Bukuya, Woods, Hamlin-Uele, Jesse Ramien, Wade Graham, Toby Rudolf Talakai, Kennedy, Mulitalo, Connor Tracey, Williams and some more I've probably missed a few..
I confident if Madge had that roster he could've matched or surpassed Morris efforts.
Morris came into the NRL unexpectedly as an interim coach following the departure of Shane Flanagan. Prior to that, he coached the Sharks U20s team in 2016 and 2017.

Morris helped establish the Sharks Pathways Program in 2015 and some of his graduates include Will Kennedy, Blake Brailey, J. Brailey, Briton Nikora, Bronson Xerri, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Kyle Flanagan. Morris was also responsible for bringing Jesse Ramien across from Manly to play in his U20s team. This is an impressive record.

He got the Sharks to two final series despite having to deal with the scandal which plagued the club , salary cap constraints, the egos of some aging stars and the retirement of Paul Gallen in 2019. Most would agree he did very well

Morris' proven record of bringing juniors through the Sharks Pathways into the NRL multiple times must be particularly attractive to Sheens. Your throw away line about Maguire matching or surpassing Morris' achievement if he had the same roster is misplaced. I don't believe Maguire has demonstrated the capacity to bring juniors through via Pathways as Morris' record does. Many of the players you listed are from Morris' Pathways.

PS. I believe Connor Tracey and Luke Metcalf may have been part of the junior programme as well.

Doesn't matter where they came from, the fact is they are better players than we have and if Madge had that roster he could have taken them further just like when he had a good roster that he had at souths GF win

Doesn't matter where they came from, the fact is they are better players than we have and if Madge had that roster he could have taken them further just like when he had a good roster that he had at souths GF win
Cobarcats, you've just admitted twice the quality of the Sharks' roster. This to a large extent is the result of Morris' foresight and ability to bring players through Pathways which should be of major interest to WTs. That you are so dismissive of it suggests you put Maguire ahead of WTs.

That's because other clubs aren't played out in the media like WT, why would other club announce reviews.
We announced it to save face, that's the debacle side of it.
I'll spew if those wally board members sack Madge, it will make us look worse in my opinion.
Sheens call on this one I reckon. He was hired to take the heat off management so they gotta back him in his first big call.

Oh Paws, I'm not saying John hasn't done awesome in pathways, after all I remember him giving a debut jumper to drug cheat.
I'm merely saying that Madge has not had that roster, if he did he has proven that he can get the job done with good players. Besides, how in the hell can you compare Madge to pathways development, not his job.
His job is to try and keep a shambles of a squad together playing NRL std footy.
He hasn't had the money to get the players he wants until next year because of sslary cap bungles.
You can't honestly tell me that with a top roster Madge would fail, would you bet your house on it.

Morris came into the NRL unexpectedly as an interim coach following the departure of Shane Flanagan. Prior to that, he coached the Sharks U20s team in 2016 and 2017.

Morris helped establish the Sharks Pathways Program in 2015 and some of his graduates include Will Kennedy, Blake Brailey, J. Brailey, Briton Nikora, Bronson Xerri, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Kyle Flanagan. Morris was also responsible for bringing Jesse Ramien across from Manly to play in his U20s team. This is an impressive record.

He got the Sharks to two final series despite having to deal with the scandal which plagued the club , salary cap constraints, the egos of some aging stars and the retirement of Paul Gallen in 2019. Most would agree he did very well

Morris' proven record of bringing juniors through the Sharks Pathways into the NRL multiple times must be particularly attractive to Sheens. Your throw away line about Maguire matching or surpassing Morris' achievement if he had the same roster is misplaced. I don't believe Maguire has demonstrated the capacity to bring juniors through via Pathways as Morris' record does. Many of the players you listed are from Morris' Pathways.

PS. I believe Connor Tracey and Luke Metcalf may have been part of the junior programme as well.
Thats where you have it wrong Paws...Morris helped bring the juniors through to NRL...He helped establish the pathways and had all those players come through...
Big deal....Madge hasnt had that luxury,our pathways were ignored for many years and now it is a focal point of interest to Madge to get it going again,but that doesnt suit your narrative does it now,,,,

Point is that Morris had them as kids and made them into better players. Madge is making our players worse.

Look at Eisenhuth for Penrith tonight. Under Madge he was the ultimate Plodders. Filling in for Yeo he's absolutely killing it under (grates me saying it) a better coach

John Morris did well in the NRL period. He also did extremely well with Pathways.

Cobarcats and TT, Sheens has instituted Pathways at WTs so it is a big deal for our club. This comes back to my earlier comment about you putting the interests of Maguire ahead of WTs.

Point is that Morris had them as kids and made them into better players. Madge is making our players worse.

Look at Eisenhuth for Penrith tonight. Under Madge he was the ultimate Plodders. Filling in for Yeo he's absolutely killing it under (grates me saying it) a better coach
Um, yeh this some average players there he's playing with tonight...Kickacow, Api, Edwards, Fidher-Harris, Leota to name a few playing against a team coming last.

Eisenhuth was always solid for us. Now he is benefitting from being surrounded by quality players he has to play to a level to hold his spot in the team. Completely different environment to our club.

Um, yeh this some average players there he's playing with tonight...Kickacow, Api, Edwards, Fidher-Harris, Leota to name a few playing against a team coming last.
I reckon nearly all those you named came via Panthers' Pathways.

Maybe your looking at it from the wrong viewpoint,Eisenhuth developed under Madge to be the player he is now....Harry Grant ring a bell mate...

I think most of the decisions we’ve made in terms of letting players go have been right.

Madge has an impact on player environment, but so do assistants, training and other factors and we’ve struggled to get the mix right.

By that I mean, we havent seen enough players at optimum often enough, Brooksy is the best example.

Hopefully the review will probe into all of the relevant areas.

Also, we know a lot of footy players, their opinions can be wrong. So when you interview them, sometimes they are under false impressions or just bullshit. And remember they only get a part of the whole picture.

I’d be asking them what they think makes them perform better. They may be wrong, but it’s what they think that can be the key.

As Jason Taylor said, the game is about looking at the individual as well as the team and he spoke to the equality of fitness and skill but that the mental element is critical.

Also, let’s hope the review is nothing like the fiasco last year or that a conclusion hasn’t been reached before it’s been started.

If we keep him, he should get to the end of the year without any hysteria. But the reality is we are probably talking to coaches now to suss them out.

You’d have to cater for a finding that he may not survive the review. If it’s a real review.

Cc won’t hang around for 5 long years under the Cleary terror. No chance.

By rights you’d only replace Madge with someone better, and that means some proof of service. So I could be wrong, but I don’t see a rookie coach getting a gig. Cc is not a rookie coach. He’s coached ok when left to his own devices is my understanding. But he won’t come cheap.

Whatever the decision, the rationale will come under close scrutiny, as it should and it was mentioned earlier that transparency should be the key element. Not the mush we got last year. That was a fully bastardised process with Adam paying the price with no proper explanation. It hurt us. If someone can tell me why he really got sacked, please explain.

Last edited:
Eisenhuth is rubbish he’s lucky he’s playing in a gun side playing against a side who wouldn’t beat the top reserve grade side

It all comes down to Ciraldo. If he is willing to come in 2023, Madge is a dead duck. It would appear he has been approached and is giving it serious consideration.

I am sure they would go down the caretaker road for the rest of the season if Ciraldo did commit for 23. Personally I think he knock us back and stick with Riff till a big team job arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back