Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The start of the year was tough results wise, but i thought we played ok and the forwards had a go.

Also, just my view, but you have to judge a coach on personnel he’s got.

We are not exactly brimming with Marquee but the recruitment has been steady to good. Naden is a class act.

Another tough run injury wise.

In the broad, I think it’s still a watching brief on Madge’s tenure.

Apparently the player revolt is all but over and we hear better things about Madge and relationships.

If he can get us circling the 8 by years end, I think he should get an opportunity with next years more threatening side.

Some of the completion stats, they are historically the best in NRL history, so there’s a pulse. That indicates good coaching, controlling the things we can.

Just my view, I’m always open to alternatives and other insights.

I just can’t believe the club is seriously looking at changing the current coaching team.
For the majority of the year we have had a patched team of Neville nobody’s having a real crack, and just a lack of class and luck has cost us dearly

I just can’t believe the club is seriously looking at changing the current coaching team.
For the majority of the year we have had a patched team of Neville nobody’s having a real crack, and just a lack of class and luck has cost us dearly
It's certainly not a quick fix solution - for any club plenty of evidence to show that. More a pattern fans have fallen into in hope it will bring results - I've been there with JT.

I remember Nathan Cayless stating in an interview in the off season that players need to have a safe space to voice their opinions. I don't think that was the case last year and the two years before that. Something has changed this year. Maybe Madge has reflected on this and changed. Maybe the influence of the new assistants and Sheens has been the real difference in the attitude of the players. I am happy to keep giving Madge support whilst the player effort is there, to a point. As stated earlier, the next 4-6 weeks will determine Madge's future.
You've hit the nail on the head here. The biggest change that I can see, which was forced on Maguire, was to get new assistants and let them do their job. I don't think he would have allowed his assistants previously to implement an idea. He looked like he was a real micro-manager.

The whole situation reminds me a bit of the Damien Hardwick situation in Richmond where the club sacked all his assistants and he only just saved his job. He was forced to change and the ended up winning 3 premierships. I'm not saying this will happen here, but you can see the change in players on and off the field. They seem happier, they're playing a more expansive game and they are (generally) defending with a better structure.

Good on Maguire for accepting these changes and growing as a coach. I reckon Sheens has also had a word in his ear.

Madge is very trustworthy and on the faith in club officials ranking etc I think he gets a higher rating than Pascoe and Lee!

A few things he might have done better on reflection:

* the support of ineffective assistants
* I didn’t like his retort after the dogs game last year. It was a bit over the top in excuses
* the Melbourne massacre last year
* when we won a few games and he’s popping up in the media. We all know a few wins doesn’t cut it in a long and arduous season. It seemed to me that he should have been heads down, per Dessy and Hook

But the Royal Commission into his coaching, played out so publicaly. Whatever really happened, he butchered his opponents and Lee’s official explanation, was very weak and foggy.

On another forum I got bullied for trying to play a straight bat and not condemn him or at least give him some respect. So much so, I had to leave it as the stalking got too much. The Madge haters are manic. Maybe not here, but elsewhere. New depths of depravity. Worse than Hitler and other hysteria.

People look for easy solutions, but there isn’t any. The game is full of variables and mystery.

It’s fun trying to work through it.

If the balance of the season in terms of player effort etc is as bad as the last couple of years, for all his qualities, we might have to let him go.

And I think even his most ardent supporters would wear it.

Like most long term coaches, he’s well off, so it might be sad, but he will be ok on a personal level.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZN
Just watching a dogs 2017 game where they came from behind to win
Josh Reynolds had a blinder and was chaired off .He comes to tigers and falls out of favour with madge basically sits on sideline for most of year and drifts away . Now it seems a few more out of favour with madge Peachy,Gildart, Nofo. If nofo out for indiscretion than madge tell us don't lie his Friday coach insider he was directly asked but only said must be careful with concussion protocols . And if some indiscretion this makes 4 matches
already a big sanction .If you get out of favour with madge do you stay out of favour indefinetly ?? If so Madge wear the results this your 4th year we are
3 wins 8 losses two of these wins by 1pt .Think you need to put our best possible available team on the paddock

Josh Reynolds had a blinder and was chaired off .He comes to tigers and falls out of favour with madge basically sits on sideline for most of year and drifts away . Now it seems a few more out of favour with madge Peachy,Gildart, Nofo. If nofo out for indiscretion than madge tell us don't lie his Friday coach insider he was directly asked but only said must be careful with concussion protocols . And if some indiscretion this makes 4 matches
already a big sanction .If you get out of favour with madge do you stay out of favour indefinetly ?? If so Madge wear the results this your 4th year we are
3 wins 8 losses two of these wins by 1pt .Think you need to put our best possible available team on the paddock
I would be inclined to agree with you, however, we just don’t know circumstances.

Reality is that these blokes are giving their all but it won't win you games if the opposition is better, and if you are going to measure them on wins and losses with coach being the fall guy well the writing is pretty much on the wall.
Agree that we've gotten mediocre results frankly because we've had a substandard roster, poor leadership and unsatisfactory coaching (assistants).
Naturally we'll mostly be ineffectual (in the NRL competition) until improvements are constantly being made in each of these areas.

Last edited:
Agree that we've gotten mediocre results frankly because we've had a substandard roster, poor leadership and unsatisfactory coaching (assistants).
Naturally we'll mostly be ineffectual (in the NRL competition) until improvements are constantly being made in each of these areas.
Yes, in many ways the above can be attributed to him

Who ever agrees on our best possible team? For every person who backs Nofa there is one that says he is a liability.
Maguire will wear his poor results before Nofa and any other players that have been at the club since 2011 - that has already been proven.

Yes, in many ways the above can be attributed to him
Or Pascoe 😜
Just teasing.
It has been absolutely horrid to watch this team over the past couple of years. To see every weakness continually being exposed and any strengths eliminated.

Gee it's an unusually calm feeling in the WTF at present, expecting all hell to break loose later.

Reynolds fell out of favour with Cleary long before he was out of favour with Maguire.

The losses so far have been blamed on injuries anyway a chance to turn things around today as south's have been out of form I hope our right side defence can handle Walker and Johnson . I hope we win

In the last four games over 30 points scored against us each game and 22 by the wooden spooners. And an almost full squad back, what have the Madge lovers got in their excuses jar?????

I Love Madge.

There I said it,

His rebuild has taken longer than I wanted or expected, Were seeing a different culture finally.

I think next year will be the year I decide on Extensions or otherwise.
4 years.
Give me that time on prob 400k a year and I'd turn these pea hearts from a team that can self fellate to a team of killers.
Sick of excuses.
Call me Tim, Justin's old girl has my number.

• Sad
Reactions: BZN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back