Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristian Woolf? C'mon.

To say Woolf got Tonga going is like saying Freddy got the Blues going.

No, an influx of gun players got those squads moving in the right direction. Particularly given the limited time those coaches actually have to coach those squads.

So, when is the Tigers' influx of gun players? Because whoever is the coach at that time will be the best coach we've had in a while, regardless of who he is.

For what it's worth, If the club fails to stick with Maguire till the end of his contract the club fails. More of the same old same old. It will deserve every bit of shit that comes its way thereafter. Stick with the bloody plan so, if for no other reason, you can say you did for once.
Then at the end of Madge’s contract it’s not renewed (like Potter) the media will still say the he was sacked.

Board meets sometime today as I understand it.

Let’s hope someone throws a TPA on the table with Munsters or Burtos name on the back.

At the moment, our only soo rep is Ronnie I suppose. Even if he’s not running out, he’d do a good job as gear steward.

I’d volunteer to tend to Freddie’s Lamas but I can’t back NSW with Tedesco and his racist slur. I am not Asian but I have bulk Asian friends and close workmates. Plus he’s a coward picking on a young women. He doesn’t represent me.

If he said that but with an Islander twang to my Samoan neighbours, the dad would drill his head deep into the concrete driveway and being a being solid tui type, teddys head would pop up in Kiev!

Plus he dogged us and then ran us down afterwards, which we know, is a crime against the club.

It’s appropriate for us to criticise the club because of our personal dog in the fight, but all these arrogant flogs who tear us down when they leave, f&$k them, I am not wearing it.

Last edited:
Kristian Woolf? C'mon.

No, an influx of gun players got those squads moving in the right direction. Particularly given the limited time those coaches actually have to coach those squads.

So, when is the Tigers' influx of gun players? Because whoever is the coach at that time will be the best coach we've had in a while, regardless of who he is.
Also killing it at one of the most successful Superleague clubs remember....
We should send Madge to the Storm to see if he's anygood.

Or send Ivan back to coach the Squad he assembled - See if he can get them to back to back deciders....

Kristian Woolf? C'mon.

That's the argument I'm making about Penrith. Get that crop of players at any club, and they're probably winning a premiership. That's no gauge on any assistant coaches ability.

Not sure if this is a popular opinion but I believe having a mortgage on the best young talent coming through is more important to a club than having a quality coach. When you have the best in the game playing at your club you become more of a man manager than a coach.

That's the argument I'm making about Penrith. Get that crop of players at any club, and they're probably winning a premiership. That's no gauge on any assistant coaches ability.

Not sure if this is a popular opinion but I believe having a mortgage on the best young talent coming through is more important to a club than having a quality coach. When you have the best in the game playing at your club you become more of a man manager than a coach.
Yeh, that's why I'm a big fan of the pathways systems being setup for the long haul with us. There is nothing special about the Penrith catchment, they just do pathways and retention better than anyone.

Kristian Woolf? C'mon.

Yea , you can’t win without good players , but to say he didn’t create a team out of them is naïve at best .
He created the structures and built that team up to the point that when the Tonga rugby league wanted to basically take over the team away from him , all the players were threatening to break away from them .
St the very least he must be good at motivation and galvanising the team .

Yea , you can’t win without good players , but to say he didn’t create a team out of them is naïve at best .
He created the structures and built that team up to the point that when the Tonga rugby league wanted to basically take over the team away from him , all the players were threatening to break away from them .
St the very least he must be good at motivation and galvanising the team .
He was there at the same time that a movement arose for established NRL talents to commit to Tonga, thus bolstering their squad tremendously. This started with Taumalolo and caught momentum from there. He was there from 2014 and did nothing remarkable beyond previous success, including losing to Samoa twice and PNG in the first couple of years of his tenure, pre this influx of players.

It's not naïve in the slightest, I just believe that the players at his disposal, rather than his tactical coaching nous, played a far more contributory role in their success.

Pretty weird judgement to pass on an alternative and equally-likely perspective.

I think the 2 things that Sheens will have wracked his brain about with Madge’s future are …

Not his ability to attract players nor his relationship with the group but …

1. His ability to manage the development of young players into better players. Since we are a development Club, this is vital! Is Madge more of a coach of proven players not up-and-comers?

2. His ability to innovate game strategy with rule changes & the way the game is being policed (i.e. defence structures, wrestling techniques, attacking plays, interchange management).

I love Madge and have always been for his retention but am now starting to question whether he is the best fit if a Ciraldo or another is available.

Yeh, that's why I'm a big fan of the pathways systems being setup for the long haul with us. There is nothing special about the Penrith catchment, they just do pathways and retention better than anyone.
100% true. Penrith has had that catchment for at least the last 40 years. In the late 80s, they tapped into it and for some unknown reason, tilted the other way after that. Trust me on that, I was around when they went in a different direction.

They have since gone back to it in recent years. Anyone coaching there would have success. Its a catchment like no other. If they stay that course - they will be one of the genuine long term powerhouse clubs.

We could be the same if we use a similar formula. And it looks like we are starting to realise that.

Exactly.
I'd rather have Penrith's roster than their coach.
Change their coach, they are still probably winning.
But change their roster, and then see what premiership they are in line for.

Good players make good coaches.

2. His ability to innovate game strategy with rule changes & the way the game is being policed (i.e. defence structures, wrestling techniques, attacking plays, interchange management).

I love Madge and have always been for his retention but am now starting to question whether he is the best fit if a Ciraldo or another is available.
I agree with this part of your statement 100%, not sure about the 1st eg Luciano improved with us.
But now he doesnt know how to get the best out him. I feel as Madge is to rigid in his style and can't adapt his pre game strategy to the "ebbs & flows" of a fluctuating game.
As many have stated before the management of the bench is crap and i believe it has cost us at least 3 games this season.
And yes we have been cruelled by injuries this year but we have been in winning positions in a number of games that we have lost...
So unless we can get an assistant that can help with game day team management then i am leaning towards letting Madge go.
As for a replacement i am not sure, but i am leaning towards favouring Ciraldo as young coach to build us up for a dynasty if all the hot air about our juniors is correct. The same as the sliding door moment Bellamy rejected us.

Brent Reads 20c worth

Weekend Read: Why Wests Tigers is the right spot for Cameron Ciraldo​

Cameron Ciraldo seemingly has his pick of a number of NRL coaching jobs – Brent Read rates the contenders and comes to a surprising conclusion.

Brent ReadBrent Read
Follow

@brentread_7

4 min read
June 3, 2022 - 12:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

15 comments

01:08
May signs extension with Panthers till 2024
NRL: Penrith Panthers young gun Taylan May has been rewarded for his stellar form after signing a two-year extension with the club.

View more related videos

Give me a choice right now and I take the Wests Tigers.
For all their problems in recent years – their lack of finals football, their salary cap issues, their turbulence on and off the field – I would walk into the Tigers convinced that they are on the verge of something.
Can you say the same thing about Canterbury? Or the Warriors for that matter?

These are the questions Cameron Ciraldo may have to contemplate in coming weeks as he sits down to make a decision on his future.
There is every chance the Tigers job could become vacant within days, and Ciraldo would be the hot favourite for the position should the club decide to move on from Michael Maguire.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
Michael Maguire’s time with the Wests Tigers appears to be nearing its end. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images

Michael Maguire’s time with the Wests Tigers appears to be nearing its end. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images
The Bulldogs are expected to consider Ciraldo as well. So too the Warriors if they part ways with Nathan Brown at the end of the season and scour the ranks of the NRL for someone who can finally awake the sleeping giant.
It’s the Tigers, however, for me.
The same Tigers that this columnist has been critical of in recent years. Called them a basket case a few years back. That went down well.
Angered their fans at one point by suggesting they were going nowhere fast. Didn’t that set off Tigers fans on social media.
At one point, may even have suggested the game could do worse than look to relocate the Tigers rather than expand to 17 teams. Tigers fans really didn’t like that one.
At the time, I would argue the criticism was justified. They were paddling water, flirting with the finals only to come up short time and time again. Hope was dwindling.
They haven’t played finals for a decade and the table may tell a different story, but they look to be heading in the right direction.
An artist's impression of the Wests Tigers' new centre of excellence.

An artist's impression of the Wests Tigers' new centre of excellence.
They have a Centre of Excellence on the verge of being open. All told, it will cost north of $50 million. They have Isaiah Papali’i and Api Koroisau on their way next season. And they have junior stocks that are bursting with talent.
They have green shoots everywhere.
Canterbury have an affluent leagues club and cap space in 2024, but they also have Phil Gould and working alongside the club’s head of football isn’t always easy.

What job would you chase if you were Ciraldo?​

Wests Tigers
36 %

Bulldogs
10 %

Warriors
3 %

Bide my time at Panthers
51 %
580 votes

It should be, given his acumen and intelligence. But it isn’t. History has proved that. If you’re still not convinced, just call Anthony Griffin and Ivan Cleary.
The Warriors have the ambition to pursue Ciraldo. Before they lured Brown to the club, they had a red-hot go at Craig Fitzgibbon.
There are some who would tell you that they almost had him too. Brown got the job and he appears on thin ice. Take that job and you have a whole country at your beck and call.

Still, if I am Ciraldo and I have all three jobs at my disposal, I like the Tigers and the direction they are heading.
Ciraldo will likely have the final say and he may end up staying at Penrith as an assistant coach to Ivan Cleary. He doesn’t appear like a man in a hurry. Never really has. His first grade career was restricted to only 94 first grade games pockmarked by serious injury.
Patience was required to overcome a badly broken fibula – teammates were forced to look away after he broke it in four places while playing against the Sharks – and a lacerated pancreas, the latter suffered while representing Italy.
The injury happened 15 minutes before he was due to draw the curtain on his career. A couple more millimetres and it could have been infinitely more serious. A couple more hours and Ciraldo would have been in dire straits.
Cameron Ciraldo is carried from the field after suffering a gruesome leg injury.

Cameron Ciraldo is carried from the field after suffering a gruesome leg injury.
His rise was rapid at Penrith after he was offered a job on the coaching staff initially by Cleary, who liked what he saw when Ciraldo spent time with the Panthers’ SG Ball side while injured.
Cleary and Gould, then the Panthers head of football, kept Ciraldo around. He worked in the welfare department before slipping into a coaching role. At one point, he was eyeing off a place in the fire department, but got rejected.
He focused on his work with Penrith and he has been there ever since. Many will tell you he is as responsible for the Panthers’ recent success as Cleary himself.
The players swear by him. The club would love to keep him. They hope that they can convince him to remain patient, bathe in the Panthers’ glory days, and eventually walk into a plum job.
He would seem to have the tools to be a coaching star. The question now is whether it is time to leave. If he decides it is, and the opportunity arises, it is the Tigers for me.

He was there at the same time that a movement arose for established NRL talents to commit to Tonga, thus bolstering their squad tremendously. This started with Taumalolo and caught momentum from there. He was there from 2014 and did nothing remarkable beyond previous success, including losing to Samoa twice and PNG in the first couple of years of his tenure, pre this influx of players.

It's not naïve in the slightest, I just believe that the players at his disposal, rather than his tactical coaching nous, played a far more contributory role in their success.

Pretty weird judgement to pass on an alternative and equally-likely perspective.
What Woolfe did do, was convince a fair few players to turn down $30k a game during the World Cup for Aus and NZ to play for Tonga for virtually pocket change.

Woolfe had those blokes believing in what he was trying to do. I think that in itself is more than what Madge has achieved with this group in 4 years. There's a distinct lack of belief with nearly all of them bar Hastings.

Brooks went from a Daly M position winner at halfback as we're so often reminded to until he got dropped from the halfback role, wasn't playing at a level worthy of NRL. I blame a lot of that on the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back