Mitch Brown

I feel like I'm repeating myself on Brown.

Brown did a fine job over 4 or 5 games (maybea few more) at the back end of 2010.

Many forumers have viewed these solid performances and romanticised Brown into more than the whole hearted solid utility that is, I have heard people refer to him as a potential superstar, he is not.

The question is asked why does Tim Sheens not rate him, it is not only Tim Sheens. Despite having good junior pedigree and being on the radar for 6 years, he failed to crack it a starting spot at Cronulla, we were able to pick him up for not much more than base contract.

Despite being virtually on year to year contracts here, and not being in the first choice squad, and being on near enough to the league minimum, not a single coach, recruitment manager in the NRL or overseas had try to pick him up.

If he had the skill set to be a top flight NRL fullback, someone, somewhere would have noticed and sounded him out, they haven't.

I like Brown, I'm glad he is in our squad, but I think, those that believe he is the answer at fullback are being optimistic at a minimum.

I think he is a solid player, he has decent speed, there are lots of these guys around.

@Goose said:
I feel like I'm repeating myself on Brown.

Brown did a fine job over 4 or 5 games (maybea few more) at the back end of 2010.

Many forumers have viewed these solid performances and romanticised Brown into more than the whole hearted solid utility that is, I have heard people refer to him as a potential superstar, he is not.

The question is asked why does Tim Sheens not rate him, it is not only Tim Sheens. Despite having good junior pedigree and being on the radar for 6 years, he failed to crack it a starting spot at Cronulla, we were able to pick him up for not much more than base contract.

Despite being virtually on year to year contracts here, and not being in the first choice squad, and being on near enough to the league minimum, not a single coach, recruitment manager in the NRL or overseas had try to pick him up.

If he had the skill set to be a top flight NRL fullback, someone, somewhere would have noticed and sounded him out, they haven't.

I like Brown, I'm glad he is in our squad, but I think, those that believe he is the answer at fullback are being optimistic at a minimum.

I think he is a solid player, he has decent speed, there are lots of these guys around.

You are 100% right goose. Very well said.

Goose, I only say that WT needs a solid fullback because of our volatility. Our playmakers can win us a game or cost us dearly, we very rarely find a happy medium. This is why I stress a player like Mitch would be suitable to our style of play.

Melbourne have a superstar in Slater. That's because no other player is even remotely as explosive. Cronk and Smith are fantastic organizers with great passing and/or kicking games, but neither are a Marshall/Farah.

St George had a great FB in Boyd, but lacked punch in the halves or hooker and these players relied heavily on their forwards with Boyd the only genuine X-Factor.

The only teams this year that fit Chadman's philosophy IMO were Manly & the Warriors, and even then I wouldn't rate their hookers as creative ball players.

A safe FB would suit us, especially in an age where the game is heavily oriented on defense.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I would honestly say Slow Ryan has passed Brown this year in terms of backline performance, something I never expected I would say.

I hope Brown has kept his man-beard.

![](http://202.58.40.60/elements/img/article/638x359/skynews_657685.jpg)

Look at that thing, SINGLE HANDEDLY fending off Kade Snowden.

@jirskyr said:
I would honestly say Slow Ryan has passed Brown this year in terms of backline performance, something I never expected I would say.

That's because Ryan is selected in the starting line up week in, week out. It's a bit hard to develop in a position or impress anyone when you only get 5 minutes of game time or none at all.

Im all for a safe fullback, but I dont know that Brown would fully meet that, I would safe Boyd, Burt and Minichieelo would be your safe fullbacks, he is not as good as them.

if you go through the 16 NRL clubs fullbacks for 2011 and most back ups, brown looks out of place.

Broncoes- Hoffman & Beale
Canberra- Duggan and Massey (for those that have not seen much of him, very classy)
Cowboys- Matt Bowen
Cronulla - Nathan Gardnier & I Gordon
Parramatta- Hayne & Burt
Penrith- Gordon and Coote
Manly- Stewart & Hoppa
Roosters-Mini
Newcastle- K Gidley
Saints- Boyd and K Stanley
Warriors-Locke & Fiishiari
Gold Coast- Zillman (possibly the exception but they did get the spoon)
Bulldogs- Ben Barba
Melbourne- Billy Slater

Brown is not in the class of any of these, and never will be.

Tedesco or Grant maybe in the future.

Given the players we have, and assuming Moltz is going, maybe Beau will be given a go at fullback and if that happens, Brown might get a shot on the wing. I'm not pushing for this just making a suggestion based on the current players, there are also the new recruits to consider.

@Goose said:
Im all for a safe fullback, but I dont know that Brown would fully meet that, I would safe Boyd, Burt and Minichieelo would be your safe fullbacks, he is not as good as them.

if you go through the 16 NRL clubs fullbacks for 2011 and most back ups, brown looks out of place.

Canberra- Duggan and Massey (for those that have not seen much of him, very classy)
Cowboys- Matt Bowen
Parramatta- Hayne & Burt
Manly- Stewart & Hoppa
Roosters-Mini
Newcastle- K Gidley
Bulldogs- Ben Barba
Melbourne- Billy Slater

Im not sure about this, we have only seen him play what, 4 or 5 games at fullback? how good were the players above after 4 or 5 nrl fullback starts?
If Moltz stays, he's our man, if not - id like to see Mitch be given a decent 'make it or break it' go.

Reports today that Brown wants to leave as we are keeping Moltzen.

What a joke. You say Brown looks out of place on that list of fullbacks, then how does Moltzen look on there? All those thee fullbacks at least attack the ball.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

an article from the St George local newspaper.

Brown may be in for Moltzen
BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
18 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM

WESTS Tigers’ outside back Mitch Brown could end the Tim Moltzen saga after his manager revealed to the Leader his client was willing to speak to the Dragons about a switch.
The move came after would-be Dragons’ recruit Moltzen openly declared he wanted to remain at Wests, despite agreeing to join St George Illawarra from next season.

The Leader understands the Dragons paid about $280,000 a season for Moltzen — significantly more than his current Tigers contract — ensuring they have money to spend for next season.

‘‘If [the Dragons] were to ring me we’d look at it,’’ Brown’s manager Gavin Orr said. ‘‘It would have to be a better deal than the one is he on.’’

Brown has another season on his Wests Tigers contract but could become surplus to their needs if Moltzen stays at the club.

Unable to secure a consistent position in the Tigers line-up, Brown was considered as a likely candidate to fill Moltzen’s fullback position next season.

But with Moltzen likely to remain in the No.1 jersey and Brown’s preferred centre position secured by Chris Lawrence and Blake Ayshford, the Gymea Gorillas junior could opt to shift to the Dragons.

‘‘We’re not rushing into anything,’’ Orr said. ‘‘But if someone was to knock on our door we’d consider it.’’

‘‘ has become the jack of all trades but over the next couple of years he wants to try and cement a right centre spot.’’

Brown, 23, joined the Tigers last year, having made his first-grade debut for Cronulla in 2006.

Discussions between the Dragons and Tigers regarding Moltzen were continuing this week.

Yes I have thinking to myself what Mitch Brown thinks about what is going on at the moment with the Moltzen saga
I know if it was me I would be asking the club :wtf

@Diver said:
@Goose said:

Cowboys- Matt Bowen
Parramatta- Hayne & Burt
Manly- Stewart & Hoppa
Roosters-Mini
Newcastle- K Gidley
Bulldogs- Ben Barba
Melbourne- Billy Slater

Im not sure about this, we have only seen him play what, 4 or 5 games at fullback? how good were the players above after 4 or 5 nrl fullback starts?
If Moltz stays, he's our man, if not - id like to see Mitch be given a decent 'make it or break it' go.

I agree with this sentiment :confused: If Moltzen goes, give Brown a fair dinkum go a the fullback possie. IMO Brown will leave :frowning:

@hybrid_tiger said:
@simonthetiger said:
Moltz is a cut above Brown imo!!

Brown has never played as poorly at fullback as Moltzen did for 90 per cent of last season.

Very true,I know which one would be cheaper and a safer bet,but I know the club won't go that way. :cry:

Moltzen is Marshall's great mate and we know the influence Marshall has at WT.

Moltzen will full back next year for WT.

I personally think Brown is a better NRL full back however Moltzen is a better NRL player with more ability.

Brown has been misused by Sheens and for his own development a move to St George would be in his best option.

Brown needs one position and confidence then we will see the best of him. Sorry it won't be at WT.

Back