Mitchell Pearce

Volkman, Oloapu, Sexton (Qld Cup), Amone, Falls for starters. I'd rather we got Jock Madden back who is in reserve grade.

Please remember we're talking about 35 year old Mitchell Pearce, not the one that played for the Roosters.
Im sorry mate but not one of those players is currently better than Mitchell Pearce.

Mitchell Pearce is 33 as well.

If you’ve been reading through this thread I feel like you’ll notice that there is a consensus on age not necessarily being determining factor in ability for senior halves.

Toby Sexton is awful. He is so pedestrian he should be standing next to a crossing in high vis holding a stop sign.

Go and watch video on Amone from last season. He is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for conceding more tries with 1 on 1 missed tackles than anyone else in first grade last year. He is so unsure of his physical ability that instead of attacking a man with his fists, he went at him with a hammer. Does he sound like he’d be good for Wests Tigers? He is absolutely hopeless.

If we are going to throw the boot it lets at least get it right.

Last edited:

Why Mitchell Pearce said no to Benji Marshall and the Wests Tigers​

Wests Tigers assistant coach Benji Marshall reached out to Mitchell Pearce in a bid to recruit the veteran playmaker – here’s why he failed.
Phil Rothfield
March 30, 2023 - 8:21AM

Mitchell Pearce has confirmed he received a phone call from Wests Tigers assistant coach Benji Marshall on Wednesday around making a shock NRL comeback – but knocked him back.

The phone call indicates a complete breakdown in communications on the Wests Tigers’ coaching staff following claims by head coach Tim Sheens they were not interested in Pearce.

In a text message to News Corp from France, Pearce said: “I don’t really have much to say. Benji called me yesterday and I told him I’m contracted to Catalans.

“We are top of the table and I want to win a comp in Super League. That’s pretty much it.”

The story broke on NRL 360 on Fox Sports on Wednesday night that the desperate Wests Tigers were chasing the former premiership winning halfback.

Pearce turns 34 next week.

Sheens had earlier told journalists the club had no interest in Pearce.

And then Benji jumps on the phone to make an offer.

As one insider suggested: “They don’t appear to be on the same page.”

We tried to contact Sheens on Thursday morning about the situation via a text message.

“Good morning Tim. Just looking for clarity for the story I’m writing on Mitchell Pearce. Benji phoned Mitchell yesterday but you’ve told people you’re not interested in him. What’s the story? Thanks Buzz.”

He did not come back to us.

It was reported last night that Pearce would be offered a staggering $1.5 million over two years to return home to the NRL.

The news is also unsettling for under siege halfback Luke Brooks, knowing Benji is looking at other options because of his poor start to the season.

Im sorry mate but not one of those players is currently better than Mitchell Pearce.

Mitchell Pearce is 33 as well.

If you’ve been reading through this thread I feel like you’ll notice that there is a consensus on age not necessarily being determining factor in ability for senior halves.

Toby Sexton is awful. He is so pedestrian he should be standing next to a crossing in high vis holding a stop sign.

Go and watch video on Amone from last season. He is DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for conceding more tries with 1 on 1 missed tackles than anyone else in first grade last year. He is so unsure of his physical ability that instead of attacking a man with his fists, he went at him with a hammer. Does he sound like he’d be good for Wests Tigers? He is absolutely hopeless.

If we are going to throw the boot it lets at least get it right.
34 next week mate and 35 next year when we would have signed him. It's a retirement package.

Sexton is 22 and already ahead of Brooks/AD. He's without a doubt a better option than a broken down 35 year old halfback.

You obviously have an agenda against Amone, but he's 20 and had more try assists than Brooks and AD combined last year.

Reactions: 851
Comical tigers negotiating

Sheens says no

Benji gets caught calling

Why wouldn let you just ask Wayne Pearce to give his son a call to see if he’d be interested?

And then we could say we haven’t spoken to him

It’s like the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard

34 next week mate and 35 next year when we would have signed him. It's a retirement package.

Sexton is 22 and already ahead of Brooks/AD. He's without a doubt a better option than a broken down 35 year old halfback.

You obviously have an agenda against Amone, but he's 20 and had more try assists than Brooks and AD combined last year.
We all saw Sexton last year! He was terrible. Tannah Boyd, who has always been a utility, has replaced him permanently. Sexton is garbage haha. Bad hands, doesn’t play at the line, suspect kicking game, average defender.

I’ll bet Amone had more try assists than Douhei and Brooks combined but is it wise to play with 12 men when you don’t have the ball in hand? Amone for the majority of last year was abysmal. Awful last tackle options, zero kicking game, made of paper.

They are not better than Mitchell Pearce at rugby league at 12:04 on Thursday 30/3/23.

Would Catalans have a better chance of winning the Super League this year if Toby Sexton or Talatau Amone replaced Mitchell Pearce at halfback?

Why Mitchell Pearce said no to Benji Marshall and the Wests Tigers​

Wests Tigers assistant coach Benji Marshall reached out to Mitchell Pearce in a bid to recruit the veteran playmaker – here’s why he failed.
Phil Rothfield
March 30, 2023 - 8:21AM

Mitchell Pearce has confirmed he received a phone call from Wests Tigers assistant coach Benji Marshall on Wednesday around making a shock NRL comeback – but knocked him back.

The phone call indicates a complete breakdown in communications on the Wests Tigers’ coaching staff following claims by head coach Tim Sheens they were not interested in Pearce.

In a text message to News Corp from France, Pearce said: “I don’t really have much to say. Benji called me yesterday and I told him I’m contracted to Catalans.

“We are top of the table and I want to win a comp in Super League. That’s pretty much it.”

The story broke on NRL 360 on Fox Sports on Wednesday night that the desperate Wests Tigers were chasing the former premiership winning halfback.

Pearce turns 34 next week.

Sheens had earlier told journalists the club had no interest in Pearce.

And then Benji jumps on the phone to make an offer.

As one insider suggested: “They don’t appear to be on the same page.”

We tried to contact Sheens on Thursday morning about the situation via a text message.

“Good morning Tim. Just looking for clarity for the story I’m writing on Mitchell Pearce. Benji phoned Mitchell yesterday but you’ve told people you’re not interested in him. What’s the story? Thanks Buzz.”

He did not come back to us.

It was reported last night that Pearce would be offered a staggering $1.5 million over two years to return home to the NRL.

The news is also unsettling for under siege halfback Luke Brooks, knowing Benji is looking at other options because of his poor start to the season.

Man, Benji going behind Sheen's back. Brings back memories.

I actually don't mind it if Benji has identified Brooks as an issue and Sheens wont listen so he took it on himself to do something.

We all saw Sexton last year! He was terrible. Tannah Boyd, who has always been a utility, has replaced him permanently. Sexton is garbage haha. Bad hands, doesn’t play at the line, suspect kicking game, average defender.

I’ll bet Amone had more try assists than Douhei and Brooks combined but is it wise to play with 12 men when you don’t have the ball in hand? Amone for the majority of last year was abysmal. Awful last tackle options, zero kicking game, made of paper.

They are not better than Mitchell Pearce at rugby league at 12:04 on Thursday 30/3/23.

Would Catalans have a better chance of winning the Super League this year if Toby Sexton or Talatau Amone replaced Mitchell Pearce at halfback?
Are we signing Mitchell Pearce for this year? If not, your argument is pointless.

Round 1 2024 is March next year.

Comical tigers negotiating

Sheens says no

Benji gets caught calling

Why wouldn let you just ask Wayne Pearce to give his son a call to see if he’d be interested?

And then we could say we haven’t spoken to him

It’s like the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard
Benji gets 'caught' texting....

How?

How does Benji ring Pearce on Tuesday and we are a laughing stock by Thursday?

Benji is great mates with the FOX staff after working there, especially Hooper.

No prizes for guessing how...

Man, Benji going behind Sheen's back. Brings back memories.

I actually don't mind it if Benji has identified Brooks as an issue and Sheens wont listen so he took it on himself to do something.
No. If he does that then the next two years is going to be disastrous. I agree that Brooks needs to go asap but if the coaches arnt talking and someone is leaking inside info again (insider saying about Sheen's), then the next two years or even 5 will be no different to last year.

Ceo and board again screwing us.

Honestly Papalii will ask for a release by the end of the year. Bateman too probably the way this club is run.

Last edited:
Are we signing Mitchell Pearce for this year? If not, your argument is pointless.

Round 1 2024 is March next year.
Not anymore but it still is frustrating to see the disrespect for Pearce, who has been unfairly maligned his whole career. If Pearce signed with us tomorrow, which he has stated that he is clearly not going to do, Wests Tigers would objectively be better. We need to be able to identify that as a fan base if we are any chance of signing anyone who will make us better.

If we keep entertaining the idea of hopeless footballers like Amone and Sexton or relying on equally hopeless ones like Brooks and Douhei as potential saviours of this club, and our sanity, we are in for something far worse than what we are experiencing now.

Last edited:
He's NOT COMING
didn't really care if he was
However why do Tigers let these stories out and then look foolish same with Ciraldo
They are showing people knock back good money to avoid the tigers .
If I was them I would avoid even the slightest leak until the story has real substance
Don't know what looks worse our on field attack or our desperate looking coaching staff
Sheens first he's backing Brooks now he's told everyone he's not .4 rounds in ? By round 12 well be on plan _ J

Pearce says he aint coming . Time to end this Brooks is a dead man walking bite the bullet - Wakeham at half , Douehi 5/8 & Brooks to centre (Jimmy the Jet type) . The Brooks experiment is OVER.

Pearce says he aint coming . Time to end this Brooks is a dead man walking bite the bullet - Wakeham at half , Douehi 5/8 & Brooks to centre (Jimmy the Jet type) . The Brooks experiment is OVER.
That’s what Bateman said too. 😜
He has a player option for 24. WT were chasing Pearce late last year and dropped off because of his injury which had him miss the first 5 rounds.
I think he’d love the opportunity to play LO in Tigers colours.

Back