Moltzen fringe first grader 2008>>>Top Gun 2009

alexaki

I recall last year when Tim Moltzen played a handful of first grade games for us and he copped a real bagging…The coach wasn't sure what position to play him...fullback, centre, wing or 14th man. He had a few shockers and many people doubted his first grade credentials..here we are 12 months down the track and Tim Moltzen has become a regular top shelf first grade player. Next to Ellis and TNT I reckon he would make player of the year for the Tigers. Full credit to him for improving so much and becoming an integral player for our team. I hope next year we see the same quantum leap in Ayshford, Gallant and perhaps Lui... :slight_smile:

Sorry the title should read TOP GUN in 2009!..don't know how to change it.

I agree, but watch out for a few negative posts. I don't get why some on this forum bag him big time.

His confidence has improved dramatically this year, love how he gives it to people when they need it and barks out orders.

Hope he kicks on and becomes a star for the wests tigers!!!!!!!!!!

I must admit I wasnt sure.

I thought his positional play was off at centre and FB.

Been loving his work since he moved to half though.

Maybe I am mistaken but I don't recall a heap of negative comments about Moltzen in 08?
I thought most people judged him a god prospect for the future, probably exceed expectations over the past month but I don't think anyone is completely shocked either.

Moltzen has come of age this year. Totally agree that he has been one of our best.

But Sheens looks determined to make a fullback out of him. I'm convinced it's thanks to Moltzen's natural ability that he looks OK at the back, not because he would make a great fullback. Time will tell.

Yeah, good call alexaki. Moltzen and Ryan are two players who started their 1st grade careers about the same time. They are two very complementary styles of players. They are both slightly built and quite nippy and they have a type of arrogance which stops them from being intimidated by the bigger players but I recon its Moltzen's footy brain the has Sheens so excited. He seems to make good decisions most times in attack and defence. One thing I did see coming into his game at fullback was letting bombs bounce or just not contesting, not sure weather this was a deliberate tactic or not but it must be rectified or his life at fullback will become a bomb-a-thon and a score-a-thon against him.

@badger said:
Yeah, good call alexaki. Moltzen and Ryan are two players who started their 1st grade careers about the same time. They are two very complementary styles of players. They are both slightly built and quite nippy and they have a type of arrogance which stops them from being intimidated by the bigger players but I recon its Moltzen's footy brain the has Sheens so excited. He seems to make good decisions most times in attack and defence. One thing I did see coming into his game at fullback was letting bombs bounce or just not contesting, not sure weather this was a deliberate tactic or not but it must be rectified or his life at fullback will become a bomb-a-thon and a score-a-thon against him.

i think the tigers seem to let quite a few bombs bounce.
Everybody knows the golden rule
"Never let the football bounce!"

Love the way Moltzen is going. As I see it handling is what he needs to work on. Get that right and he's top shelf.

Moltz is a gun and has the potential to become a superstar halfback.

He is a good fullback also but I think he will be a better halfback. He has a good passing game, takes on the line well and is elusive. His kicking game will come when he is given more responsibility. I think he has the potential to be a leader.

I always thought he would be a starter this season though I didn't know in which position. He has deffinately improved and is now an integral player.

Back