Nathan Cleary

@ said:
if he does sign maybe him and Brooks could be NSW halves next year

Realistically if Luke wants to play rep footy, I think he’d better get used to the idea of having a 6 on his back.

I have noticed that he is playing wider than previously, often second or third receiver. I think the deal is done and Brooks won’t be going anywhere.

2020 spine:
1 Mbye
6 Brooks
7 Cleary
9 Liddle

Not sure what will happen to Grubby. Super sub perhaps or even roving centre role?

@ said:
For a done deal, there were a lot of "I think" in quotation marks.

I think he'll sign with us too, but that doesn't lock it in. My fingers are still crossed. Still looking elsewhere as well (in other positions because if we don't get Cleary, we won't be looking at other halves).

I thought the same thing.

"It's done" says Read, then "I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen".

Well which one is it mate?

@ said:
@ said:

Realistically if Luke wants to play rep footy, I think he’d better get used to the idea of having a 6 on his back.

I have noticed that he is playing wider than previously, often second or third receiver. I think the deal is done and Brooks won’t be going anywhere.

2020 spine:
1 Mbye
6 Brooks
7 Cleary
9 Liddle

Not sure what will happen to Grubby. Super sub perhaps or even roving centre role?

If all fit and firing that looks like a great spine
Imagine these guys playing together the next 3 or 4 years
All we need is Cleary to sign which I believe is a given
And Brooks to resign
Plenty of speed in that spine

It’s looking like the bigger question will be will he or won’t he have a get out clause. Let’s be honest, it’s not about us, it’s about playing with his dad, We’re just the lucky recipients. If and when the day comes Ivan gets tapped on the shoulder, then what?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

2020 spine:
1 Mbye
6 Brooks
7 Cleary
9 Liddle

If all fit and firing that looks like a great spine
Imagine these guys playing together the next 3 or 4 years
All we need is Cleary to sign which I believe is a given
And Brooks to resign
Plenty of speed in that spine

Cleary, Liddle, Brooks and Mbye could be the next great spine combination.

Bit of a click bait title but Brents info on the Tigers is usually pretty good from memory.

@ said:
It’s looking like the bigger question will be will he or won’t he have a get out clause. Let’s be honest, it’s not about us, it’s about playing with his dad, We’re just the lucky recipients. If and when the day comes Ivan gets tapped on the shoulder, then what?

IC would have significant power at the Club. We’re talking Bennett and Bellamy type of influence. It will all be fine if we are winning and a disaster if we’re not.

@ said:

I would imagine that depends on IC getting a coaching gig in the NRL.

@ said:
@ said:

IC would have significant power at the Club. We’re talking Bennett and Bellamy type of influence. It will all be fine if we are winning and a disaster if we’re not.

IC would only get a tap on the shoulder if we aren't winning. In which case it would also mean the NC isn't performing. So if IC left I dare say there wouldnt be to many complaining about NC leaving as well.

I'm not concerned about other clubs poaching the Cleary's from us. If were winning as tigers why would either move, like a Bellamy/Smith combo. If we are winning, the financial backing for the club will grow and we will be able to compete with the likes of roosters Broncs etc….

COE appears to be progressing as well, so the facility hurdle will hopefully end as well.

@ said:
Bit of a click bait title but Brents info on the Tigers is usually pretty good from memory.

I think Brents a Tigers fan, I remember seeing somewhere. If thats the case being a league reporter you would imagine he has his ear pretty low to the ground around the Tigers inner circle. I've found his info over the years to be credible with the Tigers.

@ said:
Looks like poor Dean Ritchie is gonna lose his dough.

Gus is so transparent. You don’t meekly give up your SOO halfback, who will be one of the games premier players for the next decade the way Gus has. The last few weeks has been pure PR from Gus to massage his own ego. He’s that much of a narcissist, it would kill him to admit he couldn’t compete with what he’s up against. He’d rather con the RL world into believing he’s in on Nathan coming here. Whatever helps him sleep I guess.

I wouldn’t be prepared to lose grub just yet, even if it meant getting Nathan here a year early. Grub deserves another year before being totally written off. Having said that, the cash he’d free up could secure a handy backrower.

Can we be spending 2.5 million plus on Brooks ,Reynolds and Cleary

For 2.5 million halves you want Cronk /Thurston /Maloney and Cleary and likewise performances

What are the the chances of seeing a huge media beat up swansong 2019 with

14\. Grub
9\. Farah
7\. Brooks
6\. Benji
1\. Mbye

or does the club push them to retire if Cleary is let go a year early from Penrith and have the 2020 spine brought forward next year to -

14\. Grub
9\. Liddle
7\. Cleary
6\. Brooks
1\. Mbye

My take, if Cleary comes next year than great they can retire but if he doesnt id like to see Farah and Benji go around one last time. I still think the spine is better with them here next year then without them. Id like to see Liddle weened into the squad next year like Farah was with Senter in 2003/2004 and Brooks can dabble a bit at 5/8 with Benji/Grub/Farah sharing in the halves and see how Brooks goes in preparation for Cleary in 2020.

@ said:
@ said:
Looks like poor Dean Ritchie is gonna lose his dough.

Gus is so transparent. You don’t meekly give up your SOO halfback, who will be one of the games premier players for the next decade the way Gus has. The last few weeks has been pure PR from Gus to massage his own ego. He’s that much of a narcissist, it would kill him to admit he couldn’t compete with what he’s up against. He’d rather con the RL world into believing he’s in on Nathan coming here. Whatever helps him sleep I guess.

I wouldn’t be prepared to lose grub just yet, even if it meant getting Nathan here a year early. Grub deserves another year before being totally written off. Having said that, the cash he’d free up could secure a handy backrower.

Can we be spending 2.5 million plus on Brooks ,Reynolds and Cleary

For 2.5 million halves you want Cronk /Thurston /Maloney and Cleary and likewise performances

That’s what I was thinking. Throw in Mbye, and that’s a lot of money on the spine.

Another great thing about if Cleary signs is that it will attract other really good players. Other players will want to play alongside him and will see us as a stable club trending positively with a great coach and a young potent spine.

It is certainly an exciting prospect.

People bang on about Robbie and Benji (and rightly so as they are awesome), but it was Scott Prince who won the Clive Churchill Medal and captained us to the 2005 Premiership. We haven’t had another halfback of that quality since.

Brooks is playing great football and his defence is drastically improved. I would imagine he is very keen to stay under IC’s tutelage.

If we’ve taken one thing away from 2018, at least we can defend now. Attack wise a 2019 team with NC and Brooks playing behind a solid pack will be tough to contain.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

IC would only get a tap on the shoulder if we aren't winning. In which case it would also mean the NC isn't performing. So if IC left I dare say there wouldnt be to many complaining about NC leaving as well.

I'm not concerned about other clubs poaching the Cleary's from us. If were winning as tigers why would either move, like a Bellamy/Smith combo. If we are winning, the financial backing for the club will grow and we will be able to compete with the likes of roosters Broncs etc….

COE appears to be progressing as well, so the facility hurdle will hopefully end as well.

Surely the clause would be null and void if IC went of his own accord? i.e. poached. Coaches and players do move for a whole host of reasons (Better money, lifestyle, family, new challenges).

I would be very excited if NC comes across however would also retain a small reservation. Remember, Teddy, Woodsy and Robbie were all at one time excelling in teams that were losing with both going on to rep honours. We went through three coaches during the same period.

If you lose your coach and marquee player at one time, it’s virtually Groundhog Day (rebuild).

I think the 2 biggest questions are; how many pages can we get this thread to, and do we think we can keep the topic going for possibly another year?

1.Mybe
6\. Brooks/Reynolds
7\. Cleary
9\. Liddle

Do people think this is a premiership winning spine?

@ said:
1.Mybe
6\. Brooks/Reynolds
7\. Cleary
9\. Liddle

Do people think this is a premiership winning spine?

Top 8 spine yes, but premiership? Maybe not quite.

@ said:

Well, that's all a long way down the road. First things first.
No point thinking that far ahead is there? (That's probably enough tautology for the moment).

Back