National Disasters

Scomo wants to spend $10bn on a submarine base. Here's a tip, we have one at HMAS Stirling in WA so how about spending the money on flood mitigation works in flood prone areas and rebuilding the communities on the NSW North Coast and Qld.
One of my son's is based at Stirling. Do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade it for the nuclear subs. I'm not a military strategist but don't you want your military assets spread around?

One of my son's is based at Stirling. Do you think it would be a good idea to upgrade it for the nuclear subs. I'm not a military strategist but don't you want your military assets spread around?
Ideally yes but at $10bn I'd rather keep the subs all at Stirling and spend the money on the flood mitigation and assisting residents in need.

Bloody hell, not again.

Our weekender at Wisemans Ferry on the Hawkesbury has gone under 3 out of 4 floods in the past 2 years. Last time it was at the roofline and the floods predicted again in the next 6 months could be 3m higher from what I’ve heard.

Feel so sorry and heartbroken for the people who actually lose their actual homes. For us, our little van and annex is a getaway from the rat race, but for those that live in these towns full time I can’t imagine how devastating it would be.

What areas are getting hit the worst.
We have had minor flooding here for the last 9 months, both of our dams have been overflowing all year.
I feel sorry for people downstream as the Macquarie river here has been breaking its banks all year, and Burrendong dam is at 128% atm.
There’s nowhere else to store the water it just keeps flooding the towns down stream.

Last edited:
We have had minor flooding here for the last 9 months, both of our dams have been overflowing all year.
I feel sorry for people downstream as the Macquarie river here has been breaking its banks all year, and Burrendong dam is at 128% atm.
There’s nowhere else to store the water it just keeps flooding the towns down stream.
Wow mate, didn't know. It's been a while since you've chatted to ol Cobar.
It's been a while since it's flooded in Brizzy.
Is it raining now at your place?

Bloody hell, not again.

Our weekender at Wisemans Ferry on the Hawkesbury has gone under 3 out of 4 floods in the past 2 years. Last time it was at the roofline and the floods predicted again in the next 6 months could be 3m higher from what I’ve heard.

Feel so sorry and heartbroken for the people who actually lose their actual homes. For us, our little van and annex is a getaway from the rat race, but for those that live in these towns full time I can’t imagine how devastating it would be.
I hope at least that you can keep safe tigertye. I imagine your talking of a township of Wiseman's Ferry, I've heard of the ferry but not the township. I guess it's lowlands near the river and susceptible to flooding maybe??

I hope at least that you can keep safe tigertye. I imagine your talking of a township of Wiseman's Ferry, I've heard of the ferry but not the township. I guess it's lowlands near the river and susceptible to flooding maybe??

Thanks mate. We’re fine, it’s not our primary property so we can always go home. We were lucky that we spent a bit more and rebuilt the van and annex with fibre cement sheeting and it has a gal frame so it’s much easier to clean and rebuild after a flood. Out of 100 vans in our ski park, we’re the only ones back being able to go there as most are waiting for the next floods to be over with before they attempt to rebuild. The park looks like a bombs hit it.

Sorry, I might’ve worded it a little incorrectly. I just feel so sorry for the people who have permanent homes along the suburbs that are affected by floods along the Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers along with people further north that have been hammered by floods almost continuously for 2 years. The water just has nowhere to go with soil being so wet. Massive lack of mitigation and dredging doesn’t help and as usual there’s so many politics at play in terms of finding solutions for these low lying areas. Yes, there’s always risk in terms of building in flood prone areas, but there are things that could be put in place to help reduce the severity of these floods. Insurance is also a massive issue now for a lot of people.

I can’t really speak too much about how floods can be reduced for those further north but I do feel for the people in these areas.

Thanks mate. We’re fine, it’s not our primary property so we can always go home. We were lucky that we spent a bit more and rebuilt the van and annex with fibre cement sheeting and it has a gal frame so it’s much easier to clean and rebuild after a flood. Out of 100 vans in our ski park, we’re the only ones back being able to go there as most are waiting for the next floods to be over with before they attempt to rebuild. The park looks like a bombs hit it.

Sorry, I might’ve worded it a little incorrectly. I just feel so sorry for the people who have permanent homes along the suburbs that are affected by floods along the Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers along with people further north that have been hammered by floods almost continuously for 2 years. The water just has nowhere to go with soil being so wet. Massive lack of mitigation and dredging doesn’t help and as usual there’s so many politics at play in terms of finding solutions for these low lying areas. Yes, there’s always risk in terms of building in flood prone areas, but there are things that could be put in place to help reduce the severity of these floods. Insurance is also a massive issue now for a lot of people.

I can’t really speak too much about how floods can be reduced for those further north but I do feel for the people in these areas.

Stay safe mate.Sadly there is no obvious end to the problem as we are heading into the third year of La Nina and we can expect another summer at least of heavy rain on the east coast.

Bloody hell, not again.

been to the pub at Spencer ,TT?,best in the world.new owners of the shop are both WT supporters.the people of Wiso;s and surrounding area;s are very resilient,down to earth lot

been to the pub at Spencer ,TT?,best in the world.new owners of the shop are both WT supporters.the people of Wiso;s and surrounding area;s are very resilient,down to earth lot
Does buttercup still work at the Dunkirk hotel ?

Back