New man, Stephen Humphreys, in Wests Tigers hot seat

BeeJay

Staff member
Forum Leader
New man, Stephen Humphries, in Wests Tigers hot seat
>
Stephen Humphreys believes the Wests Tigers should be top four or five contenders every year.Picture: ROBERT POZO
STEPHEN Humphreys might exude a corporate-Australia image with his tailored suit and an air of unpretentious confidence, but he’s just signed on for a rollercoaster ride in the world of working-class rugby league.
>
The Wests Tigers new chief executive headed into the NRL club’s Campbelltown heartland on Friday to meet the media and reinforce the Tigers’ case that the Macarthur area is certainly part of their future plans.
>
Humphreys looks the part of the high-powered executive but he’s also traded blows on the field with the best of them.
>
The former fullback played 40 first grade games for Balmain between 1983 and 1987 and understands the culture of the game.
>
But after many years in management in the airline and, later, tourism industries he also understands the corporate world.
>
That background gives him an enviable perspective of both sides of the game - the sport and the business - and the experience and understanding of the need to balance the playing jerseys, the sponsors’ suits and the fans’ demands.
>
While he’s only just landed in the hot seat, replacing the ousted Scott Longmuir who got offside with coach Tim Sheens, Humphreys has already shown his nouse.
>
In the week before he officially took up the job, he made it a priority to visit Campbelltown and catch up with Mayor Russell Matheson and general manager Paul Tosi.
>
He used the opportunity to introduce himself, catch up with redevelopment works at Campbelltown Sports Stadium and reassure the city leaders the Tigers were as keen as ever to be part of the community.
>
“I applaud the work the council, the mayor and his team and the Federal Government has done to secure funding for the stadium. It’s commendable,” Humphreys said.
>
“There’s no question it strengthens Campbelltown’s case (to have more games played in the city) . . . it will be something to look at and weigh up.”
>
He said as a football club it was a “no brainer” to want to play at your homeground where there was parochialism and support.
>
“The gap is narrowing between the business case and playing at ANZ Stadium or Sydney Football Stadium, and that’s a good thing (for Campbelltown and Leichhardt),” he added.
>
Humphreys said he saw Wests Tigers as top four or five contenders every year.
>
“We have the skills, experience and talent from our head coach to our playing roster and we have all the other ingredients - crowds, geography, supporter base, juniors and solid financial position,” Humphreys explained.
>
“Since the success of 2005 we have underperformed.
>
“We’ve done all the things right but need to do them a bit better. We’ve got the core ingredients but the mix needs to be looked at.
>
“And we could probably do with a little bit more luck on the field.”

Campbelltown remind me of the jealous girlfriend. Always needing reassurance. Rather than crying in the papers about unfair treatment…unfair treatment thats see's them get just as many games as Leichhardt, the people of "our heartland" should be voting with their feet. Make the most of the three games you get before you go demanding more.

@Don Brodga said:
Campbelltown remind me of the jealous girlfriend. Always needing reassurance. Rather than crying in the papers about unfair treatment…unfair treatment thats see's them get just as many games as Leichhardt, the people of "our heartland" should be voting with their feet. Make the most of the three games you get before you go demanding more.

If its not a dig at the fibros silvertails history, the magpies jumper, now this.
Need a reaction do we?
Thats all your posts are…youre getting very boring very quickly.

As for humphries, talk is cheap, actions speak louder...weve heard it all before stephen

@innsaneink said:
@Don Brodga said:

If its not a dig at the fibros silvertails history, the magpies jumper, now this.
Need a reaction do we?
Thats all your posts are…youre getting very boring very quickly.

As for humphries, talk is cheap, actions speak louder...weve heard it all before stephen

Yeah because Campbelltown has done SOOO much to warrant having everything given to them. Talk is cheap, buddy. So is pulling in the same 12,000 average and then demanding even more games.

I don't know about me getting boring, but you wanna know what is? The same grizzling dinosaurs every year whinging about the same thing. More games, more money, the coach WE want, the players WE want. Anything you do get is squandered and any alternatives you throw up are moronic i.e Dorahy>Sheens.

@Don Brodga said:

Man you need your head checked. Thats were most of our players come from.

LOL….an old balmain fan that cannot accept the JV......whats wrong with you people?
Its been 10 years for chrissts sake
Maybe some skiing in Whistler will cure you

@Balmain Bug said:
@Don Brodga said:

Man you need your head checked. Thats were most of our players come from.

What part of Macaurthur did Benji Marshall grow up in? Robbie Farah and Chris Heighington both Minto boys? Maybe Gareth Ellis and Taniela Tuiaki are actually youngsters from Campbo? I'm all for Campbelltown getting more games a 6-6 split would be fantastic, hell move the office out there, that'd be good. But Campbelltown isn't exactly in a position to be demanding this, are they?

Here we go again - I just wish one of these clowns who are supposedly running the club and have all this business experience actually put it to good use and come up with a business plan - ie short term goals, long term goals - whether we are ex Magpies or Tigers I'm sure most of us would just like to see that the club has a plan for ONE homeground within the next 3 years - i don't care if its Leichhardt or Campbelltown - but please pick one and aim for it!!!!

@innsaneink said:
LOL….an old balmain fan that cannot accept the JV......whats wrong with you people?
Its been 10 years for chrissts sake
Maybe some skiing in Whistler will cure you

I love the JV. Had it not been for the JV I'd be supporting a team, that while it would've fit the criteria, would've been in a bit of trouble to say the least. I'm a member, I buy merchandise and I go to just as many games at CS as I do LO. What I can't accept is when a part of the JOINT venture wants everything its way and chucks a hissy fit when they don't get it.

@diedpretty said:
Here we go again - I just wish one of these clowns who are supposedly running the club and have all this business experience actually put it to good use and come up with a business plan - ie short term goals, long term goals - whether we are ex Magpies or Tigers I'm sure most of us would just like to see that the club has a plan for ONE homeground within the next 3 years - i don't care if its Leichhardt or Campbelltown - but please pick one and aim for it!!!!

Why does it have to be one home ground? 6-6 split is fantasic and a result I'd be more than happy with.

But if I point out the superior record, the history and the crowds that Leichhardt has over Campbelltown, I'm apparently a dinosaur who hates the JV.

@Don Brodga said:
@diedpretty said:

Why does it have to be one home ground? 6-6 split is fantasic and a result I'd be more than happy with.

But if I point out the superior record, the history and the crowds that Leichhardt has over Campbelltown, I'm apparently a dinosaur who hates the JV.

Fine - i have no problem with 6/6 - and i know this has been mooted but how about some firm business decisions, timeframes and development proposals that puts this in place and then letting the supporters know what is actually happening.

You do realise that if Campbelltown gets more games so does Leichhardt ? Can't have one without the other.

I saw this article today. Lots of talk…I hope he realise that Tigers fans never forget!

blah blah blah blah we will believe it when we see it 6 a piece does me and campbo is gr8 ground but i love LO the hill is part of me literally, and donnie ur kidding mate wests juniors galore in this side gibbs gallant lawry to name a few mate no benj faff and rhino arent wests jrs but arent balmain jrs either buddy!

Come on it had to come up eventually….If Humphreys' can get us back to 6x6 then go Stephen.....I'll believe you...I'm not the sharpest tool though

Some have never left that year Staks.

Than again some still walk around in purple Keppers with yellow desert boots on

I can only hope that as an ex player, Humphries knows what its like as a player to play in front of suburban grounds like LO and Campbo… We can only hope, he's talked the talk, now he's gotta walk the walk.

Well they are throwing around $8 million into upgrading Campbelltown at the moment aren't they? With that in mind one would like to think the ultimate aim is for the Tigers to eventually play more matches there when the upgrade is complete. Same goes for Leichardt, although I know the government offered a lot less money for upgrades there than they did for Campbelltown, but still, any upgrades to either ground are appreciated. Humphries has a tough job ahead, but I think he'll do a good job.

Latest posts

Members online

Back