NRL finals footy discussion 2026


Knights really buying into the community and their supporters, I hear it constantly in interviews with coach Ponga and others

Wish we could get this at cambo....gotta win first
 
Gutsy as it was, I still think the Roosters make minced meat of them.
Said it to the wife straight after the game , this will take some sting out of Newcastle , played hard at 110% , emotion high , and just straight up it’s the roosters with 9 day break , I got chooks by 20+
 
His was a closed fracture
Clearys is a compund fracture ...bones has pierced the skin...there will be plates screws rods etc...multiple surgeries, 8 weeks is highly unlikley
Yes and it also could have ligaments damaged , can get infected easy , it’s a big fix and having issues with both feet makes recovery even longer , it will run into pre season poor bloke
 
Said it to the wife straight after the game , this will take some sting out of Newcastle , played hard at 110% , emotion high , and just straight up it’s the roosters with 9 day break , I got chooks by 20+
Idk about that. It’s a GF. You’re going to be up for it. I just think the Roosters will have too much class.
 
I've been thinking the same since it happened.

Can Nathan recover and be the same player he has been, or will it make him a has been.

Being serious, not trying to be funny when I say that.
Chris Lawrence was never the same after he dislocated his hip. Different injury, but it crippled him. The history of players suffering from Cleary’s injury isn’t very promising. Worst case scenario, if he has to retire, he’ll hardly be broke…BUT, this is where I pull my hair out with players being so casual with their contracts. Cleary has been putting off signing an extension for months. Most recent word is he was going to before November 1. He’ll be fine for money regardless. However if it’s just your average first grader, how screwed would you be? Your value would wouldn’t be worth jack. Yet, all players will say they aren’t thinking about their new contracts. They would in no time if they picked up a Cleary type injury.
 
Crossland referred straight to the judiciary...sounds.like a heavy sentence incoming

Of course there is, because when it happens to certain players the offenders are suspended on the outcome not the offence itself.

The thing that annoys the piss out of me is that all year, the NRL has made a rod for their backs by deeming the player is penalised for the offence not the result, this includes a few instances of injury this season. Now a discretionary call was made to send Crossland off because it happened to Cleary.

In saying this it really does suck for Cleary and I do hope he finds his way back onto the field after that because it was heinous injury.

NRL need to nut up during the off season and decide whether to make a call on whether a hip drop is a send off or not going forward.
 
Man.. what a deserving bunch. That was truly incredible, I gave the no chance after the send off.

I wouldn't write them off against the Roosters, this would be huge for their confidence and morale.
70% of the spectators on grand final day will be Newy supporters, they've been written off every game in the finals series and have been unbelievable. No way am I counting them out. I reckon the roosters will try and take out Ponga.
 
Force doesn't always come into it. You could get a serious break if you hit the leg at the right angle at half the force.

I'm not victim blaming here at all, I've seen fractures like Clearys and they're shocking but sometimes it's when you're not expecting to get hit and you relax that's when you get hurt.

Remember what happened to Simonson against Laulii this year.

NRL has introduced these laws and players have started to relax. Hip drops gave always happened but the attackers were more aware and turned their bodies, hence the whole wrestle thing came into it and defenders were able to turn players. People sometimes get hip drop and cannonball tackles mistaken as well.

I genuinely feel that in order to make the game safe, NRL has changed it so much that all the onus is on the defender, not the attacker..

Eventually, players will learn and adapt, that's what they do but so many changes in such a short time is a big reason IMO. Imagine tomorrow they change half the traffic laws? Or imagine they make the hurdles 2cm longer in the races.

The onus needs to be on each player themselves to keep themselves safe imo.
 
I have taken
GF half full time double
Draw / Roosters @ $15
Draw / Newcastle @ $26

Basically punting on a Draw at half time.

Fortunately at $3 that was on offer for newcastle as I could lay off (so lucky doesnt always work out like that if it was $1.90 each of two)
i win the same either way

Hoping newcastle get it done but really think roosters win pretty easy.
 
It doesn’t look good for him. Sounds like a high risk of complications. Could take a miracle for him to be ready for round 1 next year.
 
Why? Genuine question. Not being facetious. I’m far from a doctor.
Open fractures aren't always worse than closed.

One of the biggest things is joint involvement. I've had patients get tibia fractures but return to spot within 3 months because knee and ankle weren't involved.

Complications with open fractures such as neurovascular involvement and infection risks are more common but he's gone to hospital straight away, had it reduced and IV started. They never took off the socks so I doubt there will be any infection risks.

Obviously nerve damage is an unknown and just based on luck.
 
Of course there is, because when it happens to certain players the offenders are suspended on the outcome not the offence itself.

The thing that annoys the piss out of me is that all year, the NRL has made a rod for their backs by deeming the player is penalised for the offence not the result, this includes a few instances of injury this season. Now a discretionary call was made to send Crossland off because it happened to Cleary.

In saying this it really does suck for Cleary and I do hope he finds his way back onto the field after that because it was heinous injury.

NRL need to nut up during the off season and decide whether to make a call on whether a hip drop is a send off or not going forward.

I thought that changed this year or last year. Pretty sure the NRL is clear that injury os taken into account these days. And so it should be.
 
Open fractures aren't always worse than closed.

One of the biggest things is joint involvement. I've had patients get tibia fractures but return to spot within 3 months because knee and ankle weren't involved.

Complications with open fractures such as neurovascular involvement and infection risks are more common but he's gone to hospital straight away, had it reduced and IV started. They never took off the socks so I doubt there will be any infection risks.

Obviously nerve damage is an unknown and just based on luck.
So what’s changed from when Tuiaki got JYY got their injuries?
 
Back
Top