NRL fires back - Barry Hall

Zaibatsu

GOLD Coast boss Michael Searle wants to fight fire with fire in his battle against the AFL and is tossing up an approach to none other than bad boy Barry Hall to counter Karmichael Hunt's spectacular cross-code defection.
>
"I've always thought there's only one AFL player who could make the switch to league Barry Hall," Searle said.
>
"He's got strength and mongrel.
\
\
"In the wake of what they've done with Karmichael, it's something worth looking into. I'm planning on talking to the NRL about what we might be able to put together."
\
\
Hall is a free agent after quitting the Swans last month following a string of on-field meltdowns.
\
\
He's been strongly linked to rival AFL outfit the Western Bulldogs over a return to boxing in 2010, but Searle insists the 32-year-old's hot temperament is much better suited to rugby league.
\
\
"There have been a few private discussions with some other club CEOs," Searle said. "I believe it's something the NRL should now consider. We can't sit back and not think left-field."
\
\
Searle has a history of going after ambitious recruits, famously hiring a chopper for All Blacks great Jonah Lomu to inspect the holiday strip in 2007.
>
He's not alone in his thoughts about what a powerful tool Hall would be to combat the AFL's incursion into league heartland. Two western Sydney CEOs are also open-minded about the plan, with one even going as far as contacting the NRL yesterday about incentives for Hall's recruitment.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/barry-an-nrl-mark/story-e6frexnr-1225756601163

A 32 year old Barry Hall never played a game of rugby league in his life….I think Searle has been getting into some of the stuff Ricky and Freddy have been on lately...

Two western Sydney CEOs are also open-minded about the plan

Sits and awaits headline....Wests Tigers linked to Big Bad Barry's defection..... :bulb:

What are these people on???

Surely people realise that there will be extremely few defections one way or the other between AFL and rugby league. There is an article today saying that Hunt would only be worth $100k in the AFL if it wasn't for the whole marketing angle. That sounds pretty right to me. So any big name from the rugby league would normally not be approached because they are worth more in rugby league than AFL.

@Ghostdogg said:
Get a life Searle..

Hmm.. He's doing stuff.. You're reading about him doing stuff.. who's got less of a life there?

Anywho always loved watching Barry Hall if nothing else, cranky bloke that he is, entertainment-wise he's 10 willy mason's, but doubt he could cut it or anywhere near

I'd rather sign a 18 year old kid who plays league and is itching for a crack at NRL, than a washed up AFL hack, who hasn't played a game of League in his life. Did the Broncos raid the Wallabies when Lote, Dell or Barnes left? Did Cronulla counter the Rogers signing? Did Parra counter the Tahu signing? Did the Dragons buy a big name Rugby player to counter Gasnier going? The Dogs with Sonny? The Panthers with Gower? Did the Dragons sign up a boxer to counter the Mundine switch? Honestly, and NRL club signing Barry Hall would be a stupid publicity stunt as an AFL club signing Karmichael Hunt.

meh who cares, the Reds signed an AFL player and he couldn't make first grade, why bother? 1 player, big deal, there won't be an exodus. How many Union converts to League or vice versa actually do anything? I'm sure the number who fail are far larger than the number who actually make a good go of it and that's crossing over to a code at least fairly similar.

i like searle.
atleast he comes up with ideas.
imagine the headlines our game creates if we sign andrew symonds and barry hall? even if they dont play any good and only play 1 first grade match, atleast we are putting up a fight.

HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
\
\
no AFL player could play the best game in the world

Aussie Rules is a matter of kicking a ball precisly

most backs could play that
\
\
any one watch Australias Greatest Atheletes

the AFL guy couldnt even win his on event

@pacey said:
HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
\
\
no AFL player could play the best game in the world

Aussie Rules is a matter of kicking a ball precisly

most backs could play that
\
\
any one watch Australias Greatest Atheletes

the AFL guy couldnt even win his on event

And from what I remember, he won their Brownlow medal, which is the same as a League player winning the Daly M :laughing:

Brett Deledio hasn't won a Brownlow. He is an injury prone sytong young player at a well supported club. Akin to Benji maybe.

@Allan Towle said:
Brett Deledio hasn't won a Brownlow. He is an injury prone sytong young player at a well supported club. Akin to Benji maybe.

My bad i was thinking of Adam [This word has been automatically removed]ey lol.

Back