OK YOU FONZ SUPPORTERS, ITS GLOVES OFF, LETS DANCE !!

Really to late to be flicking Sheens for 2010, most of the horse trading has now be done for 2010 and would be unfair to expect a new bloke to come in and pick up the pieces. People will howl me down but I would be offering Nathan Brown a gig for 2011 with maybe Hogo as his assistant. Anyway who ever, we must now start sowing the seeds for 2011, its time for new ideas and a new man but I would still run with Sheens for 2010 because I just dont think their is time to get the right man and the right structures in place.

@supercoach said:
Really to late to be flicking Sheens for 2010, most of the horse trading has now be done for 2010 and would be unfair to expect a new bloke to come in and pick up the pieces. People will howl me down but I would be offering Nathan Brown a gig for 2011 with maybe Hogo as his assistant. Anyway who ever, we must now start sowing the seeds for 2011, its time for new ideas and a new man but I would still run with Sheens for 2010 because I just dont think their is time to get the right man and the right structures in place.

id go with steve folkes, proven tried and tested, only one year in his 11 years at the dogs they missed the finals.

What spin will SImonthetiger put on it??

He was pretty chirpy the last couple of weeks. However ultimately, the "negative" crew were right again. Another season and another failure.

@Eddie said:
However ultimately, the "negative" crew were right again.

you weren't right, because the team you wanted wasnt picked, so the issues we have had all season could still be there…

it hasnt been our attack losing us games, its been our defence when teams start to offload. its been our defence when we let the opposition play the ball quicker than a touch game... its been the fact we've missed so many conversions.. its been the fact blokes like farah and marshall have had inconsistent kicking all year...

**<big>Simonthetiger ?? hello ???? has anyone seen simonthetiger ????? come out and play !!</big>**

<big>Cmon Bug….get it out of your system man.....It's not like you to hold back......Heeeeyyyyyyyy</big>

Where is Simon? Probably on the Gold Coast.

Sheens will see out his contract. That I have no doubt over at all.

At the end of last season Sheens claimed this would be a watershed year. In many respects it has been. We have rid ourselves of alot of under achievers and picked up a few good players to replace them. There are still some questions to be answered in regard to player like Galea and Paynes contracts which have yet to be known but considering our talent in the lower grades and the injection of talent I am looking forward to next season.

We have had some dissapointing performances and of course many selection issues which I have disagreed with (you tend to do that when losing tigher games) but I take real heart from our defensive efforts and the way we have handled injuries during games against the top sides.

Morris should probably have moved out of the halves a few months earlier than he did but a) Moltzen's elbow injury made it impossible for him to defend in the front line, and b) the time at the start of the year with Benji and Robbie running the side with Morris in the halves has actually made Marshall a far more consistant and valuable player to the side. He still has that ad-lib talent but is more comfortable and consistant in a distribution role. A player of his salary needs to be at that level otherwise it is an all flash, no sustance waste of money.

I think it all depends on how you view the comment watershed year. Success was a real bonus in my eyes and finals football would have been a great thing to experience again. But to me a watershed year is about building for next season and beyond. A target I think we are on the right path for now. The attitude is right in the camp as shown by our willingness in defence.

Looking forward to next weeks game against the probably minor premiers

@smeghead said:

At the end of last season Sheens claimed this would be a watershed year. In many respects it has been. We have rid ourselves of alot of under achievers and picked up a few good players to replace them. There are still some questions to be answered in regard to player like Galea and Paynes contracts which have yet to be known but considering our talent in the lower grades and the injection of talent I am looking forward to next season.

We have had some dissapointing performances and of course many selection issues which I have disagreed with (you tend to do that when losing tigher games) but I take real heart from our defensive efforts and the way we have handled injuries during games against the top sides.

Morris should probably have moved out of the halves a few months earlier than he did but a) Moltzen's elbow injury made it impossible for him to defend in the front line, and b) the time at the start of the year with Benji and Robbie running the side with Morris in the halves has actually made Marshall a far more consistant and valuable player to the side. He still has that ad-lib talent but is more comfortable and consistant in a distribution role. A player of his salary needs to be at that level otherwise it is an all flash, no sustance waste of money.

I think it all depends on how you view the comment watershed year. Success was a real bonus in my eyes and finals football would have been a great thing to experience again. But to me a watershed year is about building for next season and beyond. A target I think we are on the right path for now. The attitude is right in the camp as shown by our willingness in defence.

Well said Smeg. I think next year look promising.

It's all lipstick on a pig.
Doesn;t matter what happens next year, how close we might have been to being sort of competitive this year etc.
We failed to make the top 1/2 of the competition and therefore the finals again.
again.
4th year in a row.
That is absolutely pathetic & yet the person who has controlled the team for this entire period and who is ultimately responsibility for our performance is still there and will be again next year.
We have become a terrible terrible joke after winning the competition. Maybe 2005 was actually the worst thing that could have happened to us.
We need an i feel gutted emoticon.

[We have become a terrible terrible joke after winning the competition.

Maybe 2005 was actually the worst thing that could have happened to us. Quote
\
\
\
What you would have liked to miss the finals for 10 years in a row??

:laughing: I swear - some people on this forum wanted us to fail so they could rear their ugly head!

For mine - Bitter disappointment. We under-achieved yet again. 4 years running is not good enough. You can lay blame on many people, but ultimately, it comes down to the coach to get the best from his players.

While I can't help but think if Laurie catches the pass on half time - we beat Melbourne. If Gallant slots the goal over, we beat the Dogs. If Merrit doesn't fluke a FG, we at least take 1 point. These are 3 instances, all of which make up about 30 seconds of 1,920 minutes of football that distinguish a top 4 side, from a bottom 8 side. It really does come down to those miniscule moments throughout a season. Every team has poor (and good) reffing decisions from time to time. Every team has good and bad luck go their way. But those 3 moments decided our fate in '09\. Not excuses, just throwing out there how close we could have come to being top 4 - and everyone praising Sheens.

On a positive note, I saw our best defense ever throughout the entire season (bar 1 manly game). Our attack is still as good as ever. I just don't think we know how to win. As a result, we have seen some fairly major personnel changes. I like the look of our forward pack when fit (although we could do with a top notch No.8). And we have sewn our forward pack for the next few seasons. Gallant, Lawrence, Marshall, Moltzen and TNT make for a pretty good back-line too. Once again, **if** our blokes reach their potential, we can do some good in 2010.

I think Tim knows it time to go. Next year, you will see Gentle take on a more hands-on role.

@tigh said:
:laughing: I swear - some people on this forum wanted us to fail so they could rear their ugly head!

For mine - Bitter disappointment. **We under-achieved yet again**. 4 years running is not good enough. You can lay blame on many people, but ultimately, it comes down to the coach to get the best from his players.

While I can't help but think if Laurie catches the pass on half time - we beat Melbourne. If Gallant slots the goal over, we beat the Dogs. If Merrit doesn't fluke a FG, we at least take 1 point. These are 3 instances, all of which make up about 30 seconds of 1,920 minutes of football that distinguish a top 4 side, from a bottom 8 side. It really does come down to those miniscule moments throughout a season. Every team has poor (and good) reffing decisions from time to time. Every team has good and bad luck go their way. But those 3 moments decided our fate in '09\. Not excuses, just throwing out there how close we could have come to being top 4 - and everyone praising Sheens.

On a positive note, I saw our best defense ever throughout the entire season (bar 1 manly game). Our attack is still as good as ever. I just don't think we know how to win. As a result, we have seen some fairly major personnel changes. I like the look of our forward pack when fit (although we could do with a top notch No.8). And we have sewn our forward pack for the next few seasons. Gallant, Lawrence, Marshall, Moltzen and TNT make for a pretty good back-line too. Once again, **if** our blokes reach their potential, we can do some good in 2010.

I think Tim knows it time to go. Next year, you will see Gentle take on a more hands-on role.

We were spoon favourites. But agree.

What made me laugh was Sheens' interview on ABC Grandstand today when he used having to use a new halfback in the past couple of weeks as an excuse.

Ummmm Timmy, we DIDN'T have to use a new halfback at all, MOLTZEN WAS KILLING IT!!!!

:brick:

Hes never to blame though is he… SUPER COACH! :laughing:

@smeghead said:

Sorry Smeg, Tim Sheens said it was a watershed season at the start of 2008\. I remember the exact press conference. Let me guess in March 2010, Sheens will be saying this is a watershed season???

How long does a coach deserve to "build for next season. Hello Smeg!!, Tim Sheens has been here 7 seasons and it is a disgrace if he is building towards something.

Bottom line is we have had the talent and we have blown it. Recruitment, Selections, etc have all been awful on the whole.

But yeah lets give him another year, has any other coach missed the finals 5 seasons in a row inb the history of the game. I get depressed reading paragraphs like the one you just wrote smeg, the club accepts medicrity and seemingly some of the fans still do.

Cmon, tell me about injuries, and better defense, and youth and excuses 101.

Another year with more losses then wins.

lol: Ah Eddie good to see you back.

I do not remember the press conference at the beginning of 2008\. I do remember the one at the end of 2008 though with the comments about a watershed year.

Since that time we have let go of Harrisson, Halatau, Morris, Collis and hopefully Payne as well. I do not pretend that this makes the six seasons of Sheens's tenure all a delightful romp of joy and good tidings. It has been a period of bitter disappointment for the most part. But more than anything I am a realist about the situation. Sheens will see out his contract. The club does not have the money to pay his contract out. If they did they still would not have the money to pay out the contracts of Royce and Gentle and in reality that is what is required to instigate the grass roots change that is required after such a long period under one coaching and overall management style.

I am still not as disappointed in this season as I have been in the past. Overall I rate the performances this years as better than those of the year we won the premiership.

However that is not the point in the long run.

Give me a costed analysis (ballpark it as none of us are aware of exact $$ figures for the most part)of how the club can afford to remove it's 3 top level coaches and replace them with a competent coaching staff. That is the key to any institutional change within the club. I did some rough figures at the end of last season only including Tim & Royce for the two remaining years and it was not financially viable than any more than it is now. Especially considering we are yet to secure a major sponsor for next season.

You can call it accepting mediocrity all you like but I prefer to call it reality. I look forward to your proposal but in all honesty expect nothing but more rhetoric

@smeghead said:

Mate, I just wish, most on here thought clearly about what they post , like you do….I am more than happy to see Sheens finish off his contract in 2010........I really believe he has the team building up for a massive year in 2010....it is just a pity the club doesn't have the pulling power to attract decent props ,and has to rely on building up from their juniors all the time

Deadset, what a load of crock for most of this post. The bug just wants mummy's attention with his "gloves off" rebuke but we have to go through this dribble for all of the off season.

Can we agree on one thing…what we miss most is a dominant halfback or 5/8 - a general. Kimmorley has turned the Bulldogs around in one season. The Bronco's were gone until Lockyer comes back. Orford directs the Eagles every week, Prince the same at the Titans. Soward has jump-started the Saints this year. Campese has a good game and the Raiders win.

Benji is pure magic but directing most of the plays is not his forte. I suppose I live in hope that this Taumata kid can produce the goods but I will reserve my judgement.

Pros this year:
Ellis - what a buy
Benji - no injuries
Farah - a freak (if only he didn't play injured in that SOO)
Morris - signing with Sharks

Cons:
Missing the finals again - there Bug (or is it Shirley?) we agree on the outcome but not in the deliverance

My comments were not the club having to sack Sheens. I think he should have some reality and resign, or i concede we are stuck with him for one more year. Your right some of my rantings are huff and puff, 4 years worth of huff and puff. You get sick of it after a while. I was one of the few livid with the call to re-sign Sheens in November 2007\. So if im a bit grumpy about it all I apoligise.

My comments were more geared more towards challanging your statements about a year of progress. Comments that seemed to be saying that Sheens had delivered in many ways a watershed season of success. I accept that 2009 on the whole there were less abject performance however there were still enough abject ones to cost us again. There were still enough baffling selections to cost us crucial games. There were still enough defensive shambles to cost us crucuil games on the Gold Coast, and against Penrith twice.

You rave about our great attitude, but I think that should be the norm rather then the exception. Some fans are proud, and thats fine, but i reallty dont think the club has much to be proud about in the past 3 seasons.

@smeghead said:
lol: Ah Eddie good to see you back.

I do not remember the press conference at the beginning of 2008\. I do remember the one at the end of 2008 though with the comments about a watershed year.

Since that time we have let go of Harrisson, Halatau, Morris, Collis and hopefully Payne as well. I do not pretend that this makes the six seasons of Sheens's tenure all a delightful romp of joy and good tidings. It has been a period of bitter disappointment for the most part. But more than anything I am a realist about the situation. Sheens will see out his contract. The club does not have the money to pay his contract out. If they did they still would not have the money to pay out the contracts of Royce and Gentle and in reality that is what is required to instigate the grass roots change that is required after such a long period under one coaching and overall management style.

I am still not as disappointed in this season as I have been in the past. Overall I rate the performances this years as better than those of the year we won the premiership.

However that is not the point in the long run.

Give me a costed analysis (ballpark it as none of us are aware of exact $$ figures for the most part)of how the club can afford to remove it's 3 top level coaches and replace them with a competent coaching staff. That is the key to any institutional change within the club. I did some rough figures at the end of last season only including Tim & Royce for the two remaining years and it was not financially viable than any more than it is now. Especially considering we are yet to secure a major sponsor for next season.

You can call it accepting mediocrity all you like but I prefer to call it reality. I look forward to your proposal but in all honesty expect nothing but more rhetoric

…and with that, can all the whingers remain silent. You speak sense smeg.

Back