OK YOU FONZ SUPPORTERS, ITS GLOVES OFF, LETS DANCE !!

Smeg speaks good spin. Sense but covered in Spin. If I were Sheens i would be rehersing those comments all summer in prep for the media in march 2010.

@Eddie said:
My comments were not the club having to sack Sheens. I think he should have some reality and resign, or i concede we are stuck with him for one more year. Your right some of my rantings are huff and puff, 4 years worth of huff and puff. You get sick of it after a while. I was one of the few livid with the call to re-sign Sheens in November 2007\. So if im a bit grumpy about it all I apoligise.

My comments were more geared more towards challanging your statements about a year of progress. Comments that seemed to be saying that Sheens had delivered in many ways a watershed season of success. I accept that 2009 on the whole there were less abject performance however there were still enough abject ones to cost us again. There were still enough baffling selections to cost us crucial games. There were still enough defensive shambles to cost us crucuil games on the Gold Coast, and against Penrith twice.

You rave about our great attitude, but I think that should be the norm rather then the exception. Some fans are proud, and thats fine, but i reallty dont think the club has much to be proud about in the past 3 seasons.

Fair enough Eddie. Whether people believe it or not I was against the length on the Sheens contract extension in 2007\. I could see the sense in retaining him for two more seasons but not beyond that without some proof.

I honestly believe this year to be a real turning point for us. At least I did before I read in another post Royce flapping his gums about Lui being our half next year (he still qualifys for the 20's) which would mean Moltzen is at the back. But thats for another rant of my own I guess.

Again many will say it is making excuses but 2006 and 2009 are years when injuries are a genuine reason for our failure to make the finals. We were missing some big players for periods of time, mostly for big matches. But you are partially correct in sighting recruitment for failing to have adequate cover for those positions.

I think attitude has improved immensly over the year. The one reason for that is Gareth Ellis. He has been the best NRL purchase by any club for several seasons. His style is even slowly changing the style we are reffed in. We are getting less dominant calls against our runners than in past years. Especially from the newer crop of reffs.

We still need one more prop for next season though.

What worries me more than any of this right now is that our club is being geared towards the NYC as the future rather than the traditional development approach. But again that is for a different post

Sheens has to stay for 2010 even though he deserves the sack for sticking with Morris at 7\. He was only dropped after signing
with Cronulla.

He has overseen our recruitment for 2010 that has seen us secure a bunch of reserve grade backs and NO forwards.

imo next year will be just as bleak. Our season will go out the back door with a few injuries in the forwards.
\
\
Sheens should be around to accept the responsibility.

We lost a lot of close games, if only, could have been top four. Same banter every year, the truth we were lucky to win a few games to and the good sides dont get themself into the postion where they are in a tight game. A class no7 would sure help, but some hard yards out of the frontrow would be better. Ryan and Tnt did more dirty yards than our frontrow. Okay Sheens has them playing a style of football to compensate for a average front row, but it is no secret the good sides have muscle and grunt up front and plenty of it. Now if people think its just a matter of blooding some young frontrowres from NYC they are dreaming, look at Gibbs still a work in progress ( but on the improve) after how many years.

By the way I don't think Sheens has done a terrible job on the whole by any means. I have not forgotten just what a laughing stock the club was when he took over. He has made us a very competative middle of the road club that plays an attractive brand of football, with a Premiership out of no where. Most people would of bitten their hand off to get that sort of progress from where we were.

However we need to be become a winning football club. You see it time and time again. When the pressure is on big clubs with winning cultures like the Manlys and Canterrburys and Brisbane, they have the winning cultures. And the likes of Souths, Penrith, Tigers they have small club syndrome and fall away to medicrity. Overall im thankful for Sheens however im very dissapointed he hasnt been able to move the club further forward. We has had a very long tenure and should of capitalised on what he created.

its just all very stale at the moment. It also must sap the confidence of the players. When your thinking here we go again every August with the season on the line, with the same coaches giving you the same messages.

didnt you ask the same question in another thread?

Fonz = Sheens as nicknamed by BB.

Funny thing is Sheens is named as best coach of Wests Tigers since inception by numerous people in another current thread and that wasn't challenged either.

Our three coaches have been Junior, Baa Baa and Sheens.

Is Sheens our best coach ever ?????

@smeghead said:
Where is Simon? Probably on the Gold Coast.

Sheens will see out his contract. That I have no doubt over at all.

At the end of last season Sheens claimed this would be a watershed year. In many respects it has been. We have rid ourselves of alot of under achievers and picked up a few good players to replace them. There are still some questions to be answered in regard to player like Galea and Paynes contracts which have yet to be known but considering our talent in the lower grades and the injection of talent I am looking forward to next season.

We have had some dissapointing performances and of course many selection issues which I have disagreed with (you tend to do that when losing tigher games) but I take real heart from our defensive efforts and the way we have handled injuries during games against the top sides.

Morris should probably have moved out of the halves a few months earlier than he did but a) Moltzen's elbow injury made it impossible for him to defend in the front line, and b) the time at the start of the year with Benji and Robbie running the side with Morris in the halves has actually made Marshall a far more consistant and valuable player to the side. He still has that ad-lib talent but is more comfortable and consistant in a distribution role. A player of his salary needs to be at that level otherwise it is an all flash, no sustance waste of money.

I think it all depends on how you view the comment watershed year. Success was a real bonus in my eyes and finals football would have been a great thing to experience again. But to me a watershed year is about building for next season and beyond. A target I think we are on the right path for now. The attitude is right in the camp as shown by our willingness in defence.

Looking forward to next weeks game against the probably minor premiers

good post

A lot of people are going to be very angry either tomorrow or the next day when a signing is announced.
\
\
Thanks Fonz. :cry:

I could say a lot in support of Tim Sheens, but I won't. I'd like to see and prefered Tim Sheens continue on beyond 2010 but I guess time will tell with that. I will guarantee that should Tim Sheens part company with the Wests Tigers we will get an untested and unproven "NUFFY!!!" in the same mould of Terry Lamb. You think it's bad now? Bring on 2011 and beyond.

@Chris said:
I could say a lot in support of Tim Sheens, but I won't. I'd like to see and prefered Tim Sheens continue on beyond 2010 but I guess time will tell with that. I will guarantee that should Tim Sheens part company with the Wests Tigers we will get an untested and unproven "NUFFY!!!" in the same mould of Terry Lamb. You think it's bad now? Bring on 2011 and beyond.

100% agree. I love this club to death and feel gutted that we did not make the finals, but I do not think sacking Sheens is the answer

2010 looks promising.

There is a good crop of juniors coming through in the Toyota Cup squad, predominately back and front rowers who will form part of the Top 25 squad next year.

Sheens is a master at spotting and developing juniors. History has proven that.

After winning in 2005 and with salary cap restictions, realistically, a team has a 2-3 year window of opportunity to win a couple of titles or get close to winning. 2006 was a disaster with regard to injuries and once a few of the old heads had retired or money was thrown at the promising juniors, the majority of the premiership squad moved on.

He has rebuilt a squad since then, with this year looking promising until, once again, the injury and refereeing gods decided that this year was not to be the Year of the Tiger.

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

@Balmain Bug said:
Sorry Fonz. You have made some shocking decisions. Please resign now!! Who supports this bloke?? Shocking selections!! 1 Finals appearance in 7 years with him as coach.

To those who want to defend him, Please relpy to this thread. Lets dance, and I will blow you all away.

I'm disappointed that we haven't made the semis again but at the end of the day I'm just happy that we are a competitive team that is well respected and plays a great brand of footy.

I don't mind if Sheens stays for another year….by the way you haven't blown anyone way yet tough guy. Will I be the first?

BB are you the goose you seem or is it just a front. "Blow you all away"..............please.

Latest posts

Back