Pathways

he's probably still a couple years off. hasn't even played Ball yet. 2024/25 more likely but he is certainly a special talent.

I don't want to compare him to Haas but his motor is as good as the big man's. played the entirety of the Harold Matts grand final and was putting pressure on the kicker in the schoolboys grand final which led to a chargedown and a try.
Who says he has to play Ball? If the NSWRL reverted back to the original age groups for junior reps he would have played Ball this year. He'd be 18-19 next year, some players play NRL at that age. We shouldn't expect him to but it's an outside chance, like Matamua has this season. I'd expect him to play a a full season of Flegg and probably a handful of NSW Cup next season as a minimum.

Last edited:
FT the reason I can't snap my fingers and come up with a few players is simply put......we don't get enough pathway games televised.
We used to follow the careers of lads by watching all three grades at the one venue on the same day. 😠
It seems televising the womens game is more important to the NRL.

The old reserve grade and U23’s (which should really be U21’s), was the best system.

The women wouldn’t have a viable game without the mens game. We need to support pathways rugby league so the game can continue bringing in dollars to support these side projects.

Who says he has to play Ball? If the NSWRL reverted back to the original age groups for junior reps he would have played Ball this year. He'd be 18-19 next year, some players play NRL at that age. We shouldn't expect him to but it's an outside chance, like Matamua has this season. I'd expect him to play a a full season of Flegg and probably a handful of NSW Cup next season as a minimum.
I hope you're right mate. let's see what happens.

It seems televising the womens game is more important to the NRL.

The old reserve grade and U23’s (which should really be U21’s), was the best system.

The women wouldn’t have a viable game without the mens game. We need to support pathways rugby league so the game can continue bringing in dollars to support these side projects.
The games big enough for both men and women and your right, pathways is the future. Always was, just a jazzy marketing name.
I was told that televising Flegg and KOE costs money that's not in the fox/9 agreement and basically it falls on the NSWRL who get funds from the NRL.
This could be off track and I'm sure someone here will pick up on it.
If this is the case the NRL need to look to the future and make sure the game survives by promoting these lower grades through additional funding. We, the supporters, are robbed of content.
Remember the schoolboy games on TV? Keebra Park v Westfield S.H.

The games big enough for both men and women and your right, pathways is the future. Always was, just a jazzy marketing name.
I was told that televising Flegg and KOE costs money that's not in the fox/9 agreement and basically it falls on the NSWRL who get funds from the NRL.
If this is the case the NRL need to look to the future and make sure the game survives by promoting these lower grades through additional funding. We, the supporters, are robbed of content.
Sure. The game is big enough for anyone that wants to play. It’s not really the argument being made. Let’s not turn this into a male vs female thing.

Rugby Leagues bread is buttered by the mens game…the womens game got a rails run straight onto TV with NRL backing and support to grow their wages so they could play full-time…the reserve competitions for the men get no such backing or support.

Neglecting the foundations that got us to where we are today in favour of the womens game is not the answer.

If you’re going to back the women, you need to back the men too and strengthen both games.

Sure. The game is big enough for anyone that wants to play. It’s not really the argument being made. Let’s not turn this into a male vs female thing.

Rugby Leagues bread is buttered by the mens game…the womens game got a rails run straight onto TV with NRL backing and support to grow their wages so they could play full-time…the reserve competitions for the men get no such backing or support.

Neglecting the foundations that got us to where we are today in favour of the womens game is not the answer.

If you’re going to back the women, you need to back the men too and strengthen both games.
Who's arguing 🤣
Are we not saying basically the same thing mate.
The NRL needs to support pathways all the down to park footy for that matter.
The girls got a piggy back for sure but they needed that. The game is for both genders and will be very successful if given all the support they need. 👍
Aren't you watching sths v rorters?

so you think that an undefeated Harold Matthews outfit wouldn't possess at least one future star? gimme a break.
To be fair 95% of Matts players don’t make it to the NRL even less turn out being stars.

Hopefully the odds are going our way

no doubt, but it's clear they possess the talent at this age to become first graders if they are retained and properly developed.
There’s tonnes of players that age that look like immortals.
Most end up finding it too hard. Life gets in the road.

Where u get those stars from?
They’re well known…
The stats are stupid!!

It’s like 5% of kids make it - then a small % of the 5% go on to play more than 50 games….

It may be on the up a bit now as they’ve refined the system - I remember toddy stating the numbers when he was 20’s coach

They’re well known…
The stats are stupid!!

It’s like 5% of kids make it - then a small % of the 5% go on to play more than 50 games….

It may be on the up a bit now as they’ve refined the system - I remember toddy stating the numbers when he was 20’s coach
Would u say that riff squad/players r apart of that small% ?

There have been NSW cup, Flegg and schoolboys all broadcast by major channels over the past 20 years. More they just can't be bothered.
The nswrl,as a bare minimum, needs to start streaming all matches in all grades, mens and women's. It costs practically nothing and provides content and exposure. Win win.

This was posted when Fa'agutu made schoolboy reps....looks like he is assigned to Wests. I agree though...if he is of the high calibre it sounds like, I hope they put him straight in Flegg from Round 1 of their season.

View attachment 2393
This was posted when Fa'agutu made schoolboy reps....looks like he is assigned to Wests. I agree though...if he is of the high calibre it sounds like, I hope they put him straight in Flegg from Round 1 of their season.

View attachment 2393

They’re well known…
The stats are stupid!!

So where do all the players come from?

so you think that an undefeated Harold Matthews outfit wouldn't possess at least one future star? gimme a break.

In 2004 the roosters had a jersey Flegg team which went undefeated throughout 24 rounds to win the comp, the side produced ONE NRL player. Gun Junior sides are good to have but often don’t equate to gun NRL players.

In 2004 the roosters had a jersey Flegg team which went undefeated throughout 24 rounds to win the comp, the side produced ONE NRL player. Gun Junior sides are good to have but often don’t equate to gun NRL players.
Not doubting you for one moment but, if correct, that's an amazing outcome. Wonder what age Flegg was back then. Of course, the younger the age increases the possibility they won't progress to NRL.

Not doubting you for one moment but, if correct, that's an amazing outcome. Wonder what age Flegg was back then. Of course, the younger the age increases the possibility they won't progress to NRL.
Apologies I just looked it up and they had a few more. Really only 2 noteable ones though and 1 that would be considered a star

297011DF-544B-48B6-8548-4A4F3FEFF135.jpeg

Back