PC Building

Cultured_Bogan

Forum Leader
Since we all spend time on devices here accessing this forum, thought I might ask if anyone around has a pretty good idea about building PC's? I know what I am after, and as I understand it, it's cheaper to DIY than have someone else do it for you.

I've had a HP all in one for over a decade and served us well but starting to struggle. Want to build one that will smash all the games I have (i'm not big on PC gaming, I think the last game I bought was Starcraft 2, which this rig struggles with,) and will last me another 10 years with room to expand RAM and storage.

I want to spend no more than $2K and pick up the following:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- B550 or X570 chipset motherboard, preferably with inbuilt wifi and BT and reasonable sound card that supports nvme for SSD
- 8GB GPU, looking into the Raedon RX6600
- 16GB (2 x 8GB,) DDR-3600 RAM
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

Anyone that has had some experience with this?

@cultured_bogan said in [PC Building](/post/1490536) said:
Since we all spend time on devices here accessing this forum, thought I might ask if anyone around has a pretty good idea about building PC's? I know what I am after, and as I understand it, it's cheaper to DIY than have someone else do it for you.

I've had a HP all in one for over a decade and served us well but starting to struggle. Want to build one that will smash all the games I have (i'm not big on PC gaming, I think the last game I bought was Starcraft 2, which this rig struggles with,) and will last me another 10 years with room to expand RAM and storage.

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- B550 or X570 chipset motherboard, preferably with inbuilt wifi and BT and reasonable sound card that supports nvme for SSD
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

Howdy do

Built my first pc a few years ago which runs the games i need to run quite fine

E g. Apex legends battlefield 1 etc

I spent just under 1000 bucks on it, have still yet ti get a ssd lol

I rock amd ,ryzen 5
Rx580 nitro

8gb ram

A micro msi motherboard , cant remember the name

1tb hard drive

I had a damn lot of fun building it

Even though i nearly destroyed it cause of a mistakr i made building it 😂

@thedaboss said in [PC Building](/post/1490539) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

Howdy do

I rock amd ,ryzen 5
Rx580 nitro

8gb ram

1tb hard drive

Even though i nearly destroyed it cause of a mistakr i made building it ?

What mistake did you make? I have read about people bending pins and stuff trying to unpack their gear.

Any particular pit falls I should be wary of?

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?
is that 2k for monitor mouse and keyboard or just the pc?

few tips;
go for a gold or higher PSU
DDR4 3600 ram is perfect for AMD chips, try and get a CL16 or better

I built mine for about 2100 excluding monitor and peripherals and i had a stack of extras added on which would drop it down to the 2k mark.
so 2k is easily achievable

GPU market is terrible at the moment but should improve over time, depends how long you want to hold out for
i went for a ryzen 7 3700x and added a cooler master hyper 212 (save 50 odd there if you use the included cpu fan)
x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
2TB barracuda HDD (save 70 if you dont grab it, 1tb is plenty)
2070 super (i paid 700 when ebay had a massive sale so if you can wait until then you can save some serious cash/upgrade considerably)
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold
and a bunch of fans which you can survive on the case fans which would save 50 bucks

use PC partpicker and make sure it all works together, change it to AUD and it shows the best deals on their partnered sites

there was 2 build videos i watched on youtube. i found 1 where the voice wasn't too annoying and had a similar set up which i followed bit by bit, it's not overly complicated once you know what you are doing the main critical part is the CPU installation with the pins and making sure its orientated correctly

@cultured_bogan said in [PC Building](/post/1490541) said:
@thedaboss said in [PC Building](/post/1490539) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

Howdy do

I rock amd ,ryzen 5
Rx580 nitro

8gb ram

1tb hard drive

Even though i nearly destroyed it cause of a mistakr i made building it ?

What mistake did you make? I have read about people bending pins and stuff trying to unpack their gear.

Any particular pit falls I should be wary of?

Yea the pins u do have to b3 careful of

I was very nervous putting my cpu in

Basically my computer wpuldnt start

So i took it down to the local shop and yhe guy said to me that i hadnt plugged in 2 cables properly

And if i 1 had been plugged in properly and one had not, and if i tried to start it, it would of fried and shodt circuited everything if that makes sense

@nuggetron said in [PC Building](/post/1490546) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

I built mine for about 2100 excluding monitor and peripherals and i had a stack of extras added on which would drop it down to the 2k mark.

GPU market is terrible at the moment but should improve over time, depends how long you want to hold out for
i went for a ryzen 7 3700x and added a cooler master hyper 212 (save 50 odd there if you use the included cpu fan)
x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
2070 super (i paid 700 when ebay had a massive sale so if you can wait until then you can save some serious cash/upgrade considerably)
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold
and a bunch of fans which you can survive on the case fans which would save 50 bucks

use PC partpicker and make sure it all works together, change it to AUD and it shows the best deals on their partnered sites

there was 2 build videos i watched on youtube. i found 1 where the voice wasn't too annoying and had a similar set up which i followed bit by bit, it's not overly complicated once you know what you are doing the main critical part is the CPU installation with the pins and making sure its orientated correctly

Just the box and hardware. I'll sort out the monitor later and I already have a keyboard/mouse.

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold

Yea pc part picker is great

Yea there was 1 guy i watched on YouTube which he qas great at showing step by step how to build

Bitwit i think the Channel name was

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold

Yeah I've already been directed to pcpartpicker. It's a good little site. It seems like with the Ryzen CPU's there's BIOS updates to be done.

Is it worth getting a separate CPU cooling fan or is the Ryzen supplied one alright?

@cultured_bogan said in [PC Building](/post/1490555) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold

Yeah I've already been directed to pcpartpicker. It's a good little site. It seems like with the Ryzen CPU's there's BIOS updates to be done.

Is it worth getting a separate CPU cooling fan or is the Ryzen supplied one alright?

the ryzen one that is supplied is fine, to be honest for the small gains from another fan based cooler it probably isn't worth it, just make sure you do get one that comes with the wraith prism, they have a few variants out now that don't include the cooler

most of the newer ryzens will be updated for the right bios, they should tell you on their site which version of bios it has installed or somewhere will tell you, if it can't start due to an older bios you can install it on a thumbdrive and whack it into the motherboard usb port and hold the flash bios button and just leave it to do its thing for a bit on some mobos

@nuggetron said in [PC Building](/post/1490556) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold

the ryzen one that is supplied is fine, to be honest for the small gains from another fan based cooler it probably isn't worth it, just make sure you do get one that comes with the wraith prism, they have a few variants out now that don't include the cooler

most of the newer ryzens will be updated for the right bios, they should tell you on their site which version of bios it has installed or somewhere will tell you, if it can't start due to an older bios you can install it on a thumbdrive and whack it into the motherboard usb port and hold the flash bios button and just leave it to do its thing for a bit on some mobos

Yeah cool.

Priced up your build, got close to the 2100 mark like you said.

What brand of GPU did you get? Could find the MSI Gaming OC variant of the 2070 super for 600-700 bucks, albeit out of stock.

Also with the modular PSU's do you get enough cables to get the job done?

Make sure you check for compatibility issues - most components will work together, but some will work better than others. Should be able to find this on the brands website, either in specs or support.

Also make sure your PSU is powerful enough to run everything. I've had no problems with my modular, but did have to replace it with something more powerful after a while.

Don't cheap out on the thermal paste for your CPU (and make sure you remove the plastic!).

Take into consideration that RAM sticks may have a heatsink on them, which can be quite large. I've had issues before where the heatsink meant the RAM didn't fit easily because it hit something else. It can be removed if necessary, but make sure (especially if you are using high performance games) you have adequate cooling to compensate. But for a gaming rig, you'd want adequate cooling for everything to prevent overheating / loss of performance.

Thanks CB! Great post! Now I will have pay attention and build a machine with my son. Yes gamer and 14 so here begins the research!!! Thanks to all the contributors!

@cultured_bogan said in [PC Building](/post/1490562) said:
@nuggetron said in [PC Building](/post/1490556) said:

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
- 1TB SSD
- Modular PSU

what's your end goal?

few tips;

x570 tomahawk
ripjaws v 16gb 3600 CL16
970 EVO 1tb m.2
fractal design mechify c
corsair 750W gold

Yeah cool.

Priced up your build, got close to the 2100 mark like you said.

What brand of GPU did you get? Could find the MSI Gaming OC variant of the 2070 super for 600-700 bucks, albeit out of stock.

Also with the modular PSU's do you get enough cables to get the job done?

gigabyte gaming oc 3x
there are far more powerful cards out there but it does what it needs to do for me
most games i can run on max settings and still hit 60 minimum frames, anything that struggles i turn down stuff to increase the frames
but it all depends what games you intend to play and what monitor you are pairing with it

oh and make sure you read the mobo manual, dual stick rams usually in slots 1 and 3 but some like to mix it up

@wildcat777 said in [PC Building](/post/1490572) said:
Thanks CB! Great post! Now I will have pay attention and build a machine with my son. Yes gamer and 14 so here begins the research!!! Thanks to all the contributors!

It definitely is a great project to do

One of the first steps is to define a price point, e.g. how much u r willing to pay
Then you can go from there

@nuggetron said in [PC Building](/post/1490579) said:
oh and make sure you read the mobo manual, dual stick rams usually in slots 1 and 3 but some like to mix it up

Yeah I've been watching a few videos and the trap with AMD is that they use slots 2 and 4 first usually.

@nuggetron here's what I've come up with:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. In terms of bang for buck nothing comes close. I remember years ago historically that AMD were good all round processors and used to outperform Intel gear on non-gaming applications. Using the stock fan supplied with this, may upgrade later;
RAM: Hard to go past the 2 x 8GB CL16 DDR4-3600 Ballistix RAM you had for your rig. Spec for dollar it is one of the best. Going with the RGB model;
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Pro AX AM4 ATX. Got everything I need, includes wifi and BT also, this one was recommended to me as it's $249 and good gaming board;
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX6600 XT Gaming OC 8GB. Supports 2 x HDMI which will come in handy for office work;
SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro. Quick as a flash (I am a very impatient person.)
PSU: Went with the Corsair 80+ Gold 750W model you have on your rig. Seems highly rated and not expensive either.
Tower: Lian Li Lancool 215 Mid-ATX tower. Should fit in everything I need.

Already heaps of good advice here @Cultured_Bogan - I built a PC for my son last year and PC Partpicker really helped.

If you want bang for your buck, see if you can get a good deal on the AMD Ryzen 5 3600. It's a touch slower but about half the price.

Latest posts

Back