Potter to take reins from Sheens

weststigers4life

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/w … 6498135749

WESTS Tigers are on the verge of announcing Mick Potter as the club's new head coach.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Potter has edged ahead of rival candidate Kevin Walters. An appointment will be made as early as today.

Matt Parish, the early favourite to replace the sacked Tim Sheens, has missed out and will now take up a three-year deal as Ricky Stuart's assistant at Parramatta and continue as a member of the NSW Origin staff.

Walters and Potter were interviewed by Tigers management last week, as was Parish.

Potter has support at board level and will sign a deal at Concord, probably for two years.

He was named English Super League coach of the year for staying on to guide Bradford after the club went broke.

Walters had claims because of his input as Melbourne assistant coach this year.Potter's deal will be worth about $250,000 a season, which will make him one of the lowest-paid coaches in the NRL.

Tigers boss Stephen Humphreys yesterday said the Sheens payout stalemate wouldn't stop the club naming a new coach.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Tigers have already offered Sheens $600,000 but the veteran coach is said to have told members of the Australian Test camp recently that he won't leave without his full entitlement (believed to be $900,000).

Sheens yesterday didn't want to comment when contacted, but Humphreys conceded there was a chance he could still be at the club when the new coach arrives."Either he remains in a new role or it will be separation, it will be one of the two," Humphreys said. "We've said we will give him all the time he needs to think about that."

Humphreys admitted he had sought the opinions of senior players to gauge their ideas on the style of coach the club needed and was confident the new man in charge would be on board when pre-season training resumed on November 5.

"I've had some discussion with senior players," he said.

"Not so much around, you know, should we pick candidate X or Y? More around style and what is needed right now at our place."
\
\
\
\
_Posted using RoarFEED 2012_

Of the three being discussed hes probably the best imo….hopefully we can get going soon, we do have a season to prepare for

"Either he remains in a new role or it will be separation, it will be one of the two," Humphreys said. "We've said we will give him all the time he needs to think about that.

Fighting word, words of a leader....LOL, whos running the show, Steve? Who's in charge?

@innsaneink said:
Of the three being discussed hes probably the best imo….hopefully we can get going soon, we do have a season to prepare for

"Either he remains in a new role or it will be separation, it will be one of the two," Humphreys said. "We've said we will give him all the time he needs to think about that.

Fighting word, words of a leader....LOL, whos running the show, Steve? Who's in charge?

I read that quote as being along the lines of diplomacy more than anything. Just hope the final decision is made soon so the club can move on and put this debacle behind them.

@innsaneink said:

Fighting word, words of a leader….LOL, whos running the show, Steve? Who's in charge?

I think when you can't terminate his contract outright, those words are very cleverly put and are clearly words that cannot aportion any responsibility to WT when Sheens leaves. That's what this is all about.

To me, it shows Humphreys is clearly in charge. It's the ultimatum that 'You either go or stay, and it is not making a difference to the rest of us one way or another because we have got on with the job'.

Can Tim Sheens leave already lol his like wants to stay for ever does he know we moving in a new direction. Cant wait for a huge year next year we signed one of the best coaches.

Potter in my opinion will be good. Now get on with signing him.
\
\

Comes with a good reputation and no baggage (links to either Balmain/Wests, or old mates act).
\
\

Perfect choice, I am excited for next season !!
\
\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Potter

2 time super league coach of the year …...
\
\

@hybrid_tiger said:
Very happy with this, but only as long as Georgallis and Simmons are not his assistants.
\
\

As long as Potter calls the shots who cares who his assistants are…
\
\

Lol the third horse the DT have jumped onto in less then a week. Pretty shameless really. Then they'll have the hide to turn around and say we told you so. Throw enough darts i guess

Really :pray: hard that its Potter. Given who his competition is it should be a no brainer

I think u will find parish walked away, not so much was unsuccessful
\
\

@mtd said:
\
\

You would to if you knew you where unwanted.
\
\

@tigermaniac said:
@mtd said:
\
\

You would to if you knew you where unwanted.
\
\

X2, he walked to portray himself in a better light, rather than be seen as a failed applicant. Alan Jones pushed him in the media, 10 years ago he pushed Langmack, I'm pretty happy we didn't go down that path.
\
\

@tiga4eva said:
Comes with a good reputation and no baggage (links to either Balmain/Wests, or old mates act).

No, but he did go to St. Gregory's College (like Sheens).

@Gary Bakerloo said:
@tiga4eva said:

No, but he did go to St. Gregory's College (like Sheens).

And I went to the same school as Jamie Lyon, doesn't make me a first grade footballer :laughing:

@innsaneink said:

Fighting word, words of a leader….LOL, whos running the show, Steve? Who's in charge?

You're being daft. What's he supposed to say, "get stuffed Tim we don't want you any more?" We've already publically done that, but legally Sheens holds all the cards re payout.

Our best negotiation strategy is to be nice nice and try to reach a compromise. We can cut him adfit right now, big fat boot in his bum, but it will need to be with a $900K shoe.

Back