Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds

@lauren said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525948) said:
Have also found the following article which is fairly recent.
https://www.wollondillyadvertiser.com.au/story/7597586/council-considering-relocating-planned-sport-centre-of-excellence-to-campbelltown-stadium/?cs=1552

JANUARY 27 2022 - 3:48PM
Council considering relocating planned sport centre of excellence to Campbelltown Stadium

It's hosted international matches in rugby league and soccer, and is the home ground for the Wests Tigers and Macarthur Bulls - but there could be more in store for Campbelltown Stadium.

The council-owned venue could become the home for Campbelltown's long-gestating Sports and Health Centre of Excellence project.

Campbelltown Council is chasing an opportunity for state government grant funding to aid the project, which has been paused while they explored potentially relocating the centre from the originally suggested Macarthur Heights.

Macarthur Heights has always been the intended location for the centre since planning began in 2016, and then jointly funded by the federal government, Western Sydney University and the council to the tune of $23.6 million.

In fact, there was even an official sod-turning event - with political and for the beginning of works at the site near the WSU campus back in 2019.

"The project has been placed on hold while the council explores potentially relocating the centre to the stadium to attract more funding and deliver a comprehensive elite sports facility that would meet the elite training needs of the sporting community now and in the future," a council statement read.

"Consideration will also be given to how it aligns with the Reimagining Campbelltown City Centre Master Plan (2020) and the current commitments and needs of the project partners.

"The development of new sports fields at the Macarthur Heights site will continue to be delivered in accordance with a Voluntary Planning Agreement with Landcom."

The centre is intended to provide elite quality training, testing and analysis spaces for multiple sports, and feature aquatic recovery and exercise physiology, as well as rehabilitation capabilities for elite and aspiring athletes, and the general public.

The council hopes the centre will feature:

- Three soccer fields (two for professional training and one for community use)
- An elite 600sqm gym facility with accompanying hot and cold recovery pools, sauna and spa
- Two A-League and one community level team change rooms
- Dedicated medical and massage areas to support the two A-League change rooms
- Additional allied health, wellbeing and education services
- A café servicing internal and outdoor spaces
- 122 onsite parking spaces, four accessible parking spaces, and dedicated bus drop off and pick up areas

"It is anticipated that the outcome of the funding opportunity will be known by April and a report of all options will be presented to the council for its consideration soon after," the statement finished.

*This story Council considering relocating planned sport centre of excellence to Campbelltown Stadium first appeared on Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser.*

This would be a great outcome for WT. Centre of Excellence in Concord, Upgraded stadium and centre of Excellence at Campbelltown, plus still taking 3 games a year to Leichhardt... Win Win Win. The future is looking bright!

I don’t think we should play at all our games at Campbelltown I just think we need to play more games there and have more of a presence in the area. We have been treated like second class citizens out here by the club for a long time. By the look of it some of our fans do the same. The area still has a stigma about it which I hope one day will change. Yes we have immigrants moving out here but doesn’t all of Sydney. I live in a new estate and it’s full of people from all over Sydney. There are fans from all different teams and gone are the days when most people follow who their Parents follow. Kids want to support a Successful team. Our crowd numbers at Campbelltown have been quite average over the last few years due to our poor performances and we seem to play the same teams here every year. Crowd numbers from 2005-2012 were actually very good. Getting 18k plus on a Monday vs the raiders is a classic example. If we continue to struggle on the field I don’t think it really matters where we play, we will not be successful. I’m wondering how many working class families are living in the inner west these days and what junior participation numbers are like there. We are a working class game always have been and always will be. At the end of the day the South west needs a new stadium, I’m sick of seeing the M4 corridor getting all the world class stadiums

@harvey said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525902) said:
Like it or not there is still a degree of tribalism in rugby league. The tigers do not have an identity, there is no geographical area that can identify with them as their team. Is there another NRL club that this can be said about?
I don't know if that is true. I would identify Leichhardt Oval with Wests Tigers just as strongly as I'd identify Redfern with Souths, and Souths don't even play there any more, and their new Centre of Excellence is at Matraville (I was just there the other day).

Same for Dragons, which personally I'd identify with Jubilee and I still don't think they've earned the Wollongong crowd, even though many of their best juniors come from Illawarra.

Bulldogs are all about Belmore but they never play there either.

I would actually be most interested to hear what 20 year olds think about the old tribalism. Because I grew up in the 80s with the same tribalism that my Dad experienced in the 1950s (plus a few extra teams), but the distribution of home grounds and fans has changed a lot since 1997.

Also to your other questions: yes to all of them, I am certain the NRL is very interested in all demographics particularly female and youth supporters. I know for a fact WT are big on increasing female and youth engagement through membership and game-day experience. Maybe even a special Redhead Research Unit, we can call @cochise back in for that.

@sleeve said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525957) said:
L O has terrible parking etc but great history and attracts many old fans from grounds like Lidcome , Pratten pk etc

I'd like to be introduced to the Sydney home ground that has great parking. I've been to almost all of them and they all stink for parking, especially if you get a proper decent crowd.

@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525969) said:
@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525926) said:
All I see is Balmain fans wanting leichhardt and Wests fans wanting cambo.
One cub pffft

I was a Magpies fan and I don't want them to go the Campbelltown.

And I know many others who think the same way

Scrap Bankwest (Its not our ground, it will always be Parra's) and upgrade Leichhardt and Cambo, 6 games a year at each oval. Keeps Balmain and many Magpies fans happy. As an old magpies fan I'm happy to go to Leichhardt.

OR play all games out of ANZ

The only 2 options in my books

The council that owns LO is against real upgrades. New sears and a lick of paint and gonna cut it.

@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525995) said:
@lidcombe_magpie1 said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525969) said:
@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525926) said:
All I see is Balmain fans wanting leichhardt and Wests fans wanting cambo.
One cub pffft

I was a Magpies fan and I don't want them to go the Campbelltown.

And I know many others who think the same way

Scrap Bankwest (Its not our ground, it will always be Parra's) and upgrade Leichhardt and Cambo, 6 games a year at each oval. Keeps Balmain and many Magpies fans happy. As an old magpies fan I'm happy to go to Leichhardt.

OR play all games out of ANZ

The only 2 options in my books

The council that owns LO is against real upgrades. New sears and a lick of paint and gonna cut it.

It might cut it, though!

Was watching Dom and V'Landys today and noticed the Balmain legends pic on his wall, never knew he was a fan apparently a pretty hardcore one, anyway hes still a flog just the degree came down a notch.

That's great news. The Libs have got an amazing record at both state and federal level for doling out grants to sports clubs. And from all reports you don't even have to put up much of a case to justify getting one.
Ros Kelly says hello.

Back