Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds

Glad I'm not making the decision for a home ground because whatever you do you are going to alienate around two thirds of the fan base for the simple reason that we have had at least 3+ home grounds for ever and a day.

The fact is that this has just gone on way too long and I'm pretty sure if they had of done the rectangular rebuild of ANZ, it would have been the ideal ground because the location makes pretty good sense and even if everyone wasn't in favour of it, it still would have been the best compromise to satisfy the majority of people.

Bottom line is someone has to make a decision one way or the other and do it soon and start rebuilding a fan base to make up for the numbers of people that say they will walk away from where ever we end up making our home ground.

The tigers appear to be stuck in permanent limbo.

Fans cry out for one home ground, but whatever is suggested results in I won't attend, I'll cancel membership, I won't support them, I'll find a new team.

Have seen these same points raised in response to SFS, Homebush (crap ground for football), Parramatta Stadium, Leichhardt and Campbelltown.

Maybe they should just bite the bullet and move to Perth, alienate everyone at once and show no preference for either side of the joint venture.

At the end of the day it is not Lee's call, it would need to be approved by wests Ashfield and that is never going to happen

@kearnsy said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525852) said:
By 2036 the Macarthur region will have a projected population of around 600 000 with another 100 000 people in Wollondilly. Both these areas are OUR Junior catchments. We cannot continue to neglect these areas or the smarter clubs like Souffs, the Roosters and even the Bulldogs will continue to gain ground. Not To mention Bradfield that will be home to some 1.5 million people. Are we going to just let Say the Panthers take that whole junior area for themselves. Our Future is the South West and if we continue to treat the area like we have been since 2005 I’m sure we will lose it

I appreciate what you are saying but I also don't think the argument, based on a population basis, is that straight forward.

For example, the projected population of the LGAs covering the Balmain District are also projected to be 750K by 2036 - Burwood, Canada Bay, Hunters Hill, Inner West, Ryde and Strathfield LGAs.

Then there is the consideration of the content of the region's growth - how many NRL followers, how many immigrants, how many people with existing club affiliations?

I know the Tigers believe they are doing what they can in Macarthur - because I have asked them, and of course they will respond to protect themselves, but also they can rattle off 50 initiatives they've introduced in the region if you give them enough time to talk about it. And also, even incompetent officials won't turn away from a region if they truly believe there is a financial, business and football development future.

I'm not so convinced that financial and football development future exists in the Macarthur, or at least not as the sole or even primary focus for the club over the next decades. I don't think it's that clear-cut, and certainly not on the basis of projected population growth.

There's also an argument to be made that the traditional borders and junior nurseries of historical clubs are less and less important in the modern game, where players consider themselves more like individual commodities and where there are still 9 teams in Sydney (plus 2 more within 3 hours). Why can't Tigers compete for any and all regions of Sydney, including any and all boom juniors? Where are Tigers currently sourcing much of our emerging talent? New Zealand, Queensland, Central Coast... even Parramatta.

Who are the most successful sides of the past 10 years? It's Storm and Roosters by some margin, and they have the two worst junior nurseries in the competition. Penrith are somewhere in the Top 6 or 7, recently ascendant, and probably the pre-eminent junior nursery club in the NRL of the past decade, but other clubs with strong / sizeable junior districts have not fared nearly so well - e.g. Tigers, Dragons, Broncos, Bulldogs, Newcastle, Titans.

Finally the social-political issues of the region. Firstly: the chicken-and-egg question of whether Tigers are doing enough to drive attendance and junior football in the district, or whether the district is average and therefore not self-encouraging of the Tigers' focus. Balmain and Wests district player bases are about the same size and nowhere near that of Penrith. Crowds at Campbelltown are average at best. I know that the council gave Macarthur Bulls a $1 initial lease on Campbelltown Stadium, when Wests Tigers get no such cost convenience, and the Mayor happens to be a big association football fan.

I personally believe Tigers are doing what they think is right in the Macarthur (whether or not it is "correct"), with the current strategy of Centre of Excellence in Concord, next to the big sponsorship money (and the Wests bosses who pay the bills) and convenience of location for players, and plans to focus more (all?) of their junior programs in Macarthur. I think if the govt decides to pony up several hundred million - something no club or even the NRL can do alone - then of course we will revisit our long-term strategy for Campbelltown and the wider region. I don't trust population alone as enough of an argument. I believe if Macarthur was such a slam dunk, Wests Magpies would already have achieved it since 1987, or another club would have taken it well over since - neither has occurred.

@kearnsy said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525852) said:
By 2036 the Macarthur region will have a projected population of around 600 000 with another 100 000 people in Wollondilly. Both these areas are OUR Junior catchments. We cannot continue to neglect these areas or the smarter clubs like Souffs, the Roosters and even the Bulldogs will continue to gain ground. Not To mention Bradfield that will be home to some 1.5 million people. Are we going to just let Say the Panthers take that whole junior area for themselves. Our Future is the South West and if we continue to treat the area like we have been since 2005 I’m sure we will lose it

That's it in a nut shell it's all about the FUTURE and not the PAST our continued survival is in the South West.

@jirskyr said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525883) said:

I appreciate what you are saying but I also don't think the argument, based on a population basis, is that straight forward.

For example, the projected population of the LGAs covering the Balmain District are also projected to be 750K by 2036 - Burwood, Canada Bay, Hunters Hill, Inner West, Ryde and Strathfield LGAs.

Then there is the consideration of the content of the region's growth - how many NRL followers, how many immigrants, how many people with existing club affiliations?

I know the Tigers believe they are doing what they can in Macarthur - because I have asked them, and of course they will respond to protect themselves, but also they can rattle off 50 initiatives they've introduced in the region if you give them enough time to talk about it. And also, even incompetent officials won't turn away from a region if they truly believe there is a financial, business and football development future.

I'm not so convinced that financial and football development future exists in the Macarthur, or at least not as the sole or even primary focus for the club over the next decades. I don't think it's that clear-cut, and certainly not on the basis of projected population growth.

There's also an argument to be made that the traditional borders and junior nurseries of historical clubs are less and less important in the modern game, where players consider themselves more like individual commodities and where there are still 9 teams in Sydney (plus 2 more within 3 hours). Why can't Tigers compete for any and all regions of Sydney, including any and all boom juniors? Where are Tigers currently sourcing much of our emerging talent? New Zealand, Queensland, Central Coast... even Parramatta.

Who are the most successful sides of the past 10 years? It's Storm and Roosters by some margin, and they have the two worst junior nurseries in the competition. Penrith are somewhere in the Top 6 or 7, recently ascendant, and probably the pre-eminent junior nursery club in the NRL of the past decade, but other clubs with strong / sizeable junior districts have not fared nearly so well - e.g. Tigers, Dragons, Broncos, Bulldogs, Newcastle, Titans.

Finally the social-political issues of the region. Firstly: the chicken-and-egg question of whether Tigers are doing enough to drive attendance and junior football in the district, or whether the district is average and therefore not self-encouraging of the Tigers' focus. Balmain and Wests district player bases are about the same size and nowhere near that of Penrith. Crowds at Campbelltown are average at best. I know that the council gave Macarthur Bulls a $1 initial lease on Campbelltown Stadium, when Wests Tigers get no such cost convenience, and the Mayor happens to be a big association football fan.

I personally believe Tigers are doing what they think is right in the Macarthur (whether or not it is "correct"), with the current strategy of Centre of Excellence in Concord, next to the big sponsorship money (and the Wests bosses who pay the bills) and convenience of location for players, and plans to focus more (all?) of their junior programs in Macarthur. I think if the govt decides to pony up several hundred million - something no club or even the NRL can do alone - then of course we will revisit our long-term strategy for Campbelltown and the wider region. I don't trust population alone as enough of an argument. I believe if Macarthur was such a slam dunk, Wests Magpies would already have achieved it since 1987, or another club would have taken it well over since - neither has occurred.

Speaking of chicken and egg scenarios, do immigrants not follow league, or does the NRL need to look to at how to bring them on board? How many generations do you go back for someone to be considered an immigrant?

What about the LBGTQIA numbers? Should they be examined?

What about Rangas? There seem to be a disproportional number of Rangas playing 1st grade, maybe we need to consider that?

Like it or not there is still a degree of tribalism in rugby league. The tigers do not have an identity, there is no geographical area that can identify with them as their team. Is there another NRL club that this can be said about?

if Macarthur was purely the answer the Magpies would never have had to merge.
The area is made up of plenty of people who already have ties to other clubs as they move out to purchase homes etc such as old St George Parramatta souths and the like supporters.
Do not play all games at campbletown likewise Leichardt, homebush is close to COE and the club should continue to split games between LO CSS and homebush
Souths will never move in to CSS maybe the dogs will go for Liverpool if we take homebush.
why not cover three areas for the club

All I see is Balmain fans wanting leichhardt and Wests fans wanting cambo.
One cub pffft

@tiger_bond said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497063) said:
The Premier is a mad Wests Tigers fan who loves a Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval

Funny, I've never seen him there and I've been to loads of games. Anyone else noticed him in the bar queue or wading through the bogs?

@2041 said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525929) said:
@tiger_bond said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1497063) said:
The Premier is a mad Wests Tigers fan who loves a Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt Oval

Funny, I've never seen him there and I've been to loads of games. Anyone else noticed him in the bar queue or wading through the bogs?

Next time he goes to LO he will be sitting next to the chairman and they will be massaging each others ego

@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525926) said:
One cub pffft

What do you reckon, should just move to Perth.

Who wouldn't want Mark McGowan as #1 ticket holder.

@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban home grounds

Thinking the same thing. I used to love travelling to the Gong or the shire, up to Newy, for me travelling was all part of the game day experience.
My point is if you are truly a die-hard fan you'd watch the tigers play anywhere it's physically or economically possible.
For those where it's not an option, they should be the minority but I'm afraid that's not the case, wholeheartedly not anyway.
Ideally, one home ground in a half way senario would be good for the 'one club' statement. I don't think that will happen in the time I've got left on this planet.
Unless there is a one WT playing strip, one team name across all grades and age groups even feader clubs bearing the logo, one leagues club bearing the name, United Hall Of Fame, there will never be a Weststigers Club, instead it will be a football program bearing the name if Weststigers.
It's a shame that WT turned their back on the Macarthur region again after choosing to transform their Concord Oval training base into a centre of excellence.
Whilst the centre is one of the best things ever to have happened to us, one shouldn't be criticized for hoping and wanting a venue sitatuated on land owned by the club with a home ground stadium on it.
If that happened, then the WT would have the potential of becoming a super club in world sports.
If only the Federal and State Governments and councils had this vision.
Everything I've said is MO and until something substantial happens to unify us fully then all that is left is the little things that we can control.
As I said about the playing strip, keep them unified with the same colours and design for a long long time. In doing so, the club becomes recognisable to it's fans and to others.
It's logistics issues and restraints placed upon club that prevent having both NRL, NSWRL and Jersey Flegg games played on the same day and ground for home games.
If the younger generation could fight for this to happen on smaller home grounds then governments may fund future mini-stadiums that could accommodate such events. It certainly won't happen in my lifetime but miracles can happen.

Have also found the following article which is fairly recent.
https://www.wollondillyadvertiser.com.au/story/7597586/council-considering-relocating-planned-sport-centre-of-excellence-to-campbelltown-stadium/?cs=1552

JANUARY 27 2022 - 3:48PM
Council considering relocating planned sport centre of excellence to Campbelltown Stadium

It's hosted international matches in rugby league and soccer, and is the home ground for the Wests Tigers and Macarthur Bulls - but there could be more in store for Campbelltown Stadium.

The council-owned venue could become the home for Campbelltown's long-gestating Sports and Health Centre of Excellence project.

Campbelltown Council is chasing an opportunity for state government grant funding to aid the project, which has been paused while they explored potentially relocating the centre from the originally suggested Macarthur Heights.

Macarthur Heights has always been the intended location for the centre since planning began in 2016, and then jointly funded by the federal government, Western Sydney University and the council to the tune of $23.6 million.

In fact, there was even an official sod-turning event - with political and for the beginning of works at the site near the WSU campus back in 2019.

"The project has been placed on hold while the council explores potentially relocating the centre to the stadium to attract more funding and deliver a comprehensive elite sports facility that would meet the elite training needs of the sporting community now and in the future," a council statement read.

"Consideration will also be given to how it aligns with the Reimagining Campbelltown City Centre Master Plan (2020) and the current commitments and needs of the project partners.

"The development of new sports fields at the Macarthur Heights site will continue to be delivered in accordance with a Voluntary Planning Agreement with Landcom."

The centre is intended to provide elite quality training, testing and analysis spaces for multiple sports, and feature aquatic recovery and exercise physiology, as well as rehabilitation capabilities for elite and aspiring athletes, and the general public.

The council hopes the centre will feature:

- Three soccer fields (two for professional training and one for community use)
- An elite 600sqm gym facility with accompanying hot and cold recovery pools, sauna and spa
- Two A-League and one community level team change rooms
- Dedicated medical and massage areas to support the two A-League change rooms
- Additional allied health, wellbeing and education services
- A café servicing internal and outdoor spaces
- 122 onsite parking spaces, four accessible parking spaces, and dedicated bus drop off and pick up areas

"It is anticipated that the outcome of the funding opportunity will be known by April and a report of all options will be presented to the council for its consideration soon after," the statement finished.

*This story Council considering relocating planned sport centre of excellence to Campbelltown Stadium first appeared on Campbelltown-Macarthur Advertiser.*

To me it is simple, TV where is where most wt supporters watch the game. Inner Sydneys west is the most accessible for home ground attendence. Location , location , location, is what attracts fans.L O has terrible parking etc but great history and attracts many old fans from grounds like Lidcome , Pratten pk etc.The Centre of Excellence will help with identity , but around Moore Pk makes accessability availiable to everybody

To me it is simple, TV where is where most wt supporters watch the game. Inner Sydneys west is the most accessible for home ground attendence. Location , location , location, is what attracts fans.L O has terrible parking etc but great history and attracts many old fans from grounds like Lidcome , Pratten pk etc.The Centre of Excellence will help with identity , but around Moore Pk makes accessability availiable to everybody

@tiger-tragic said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525946) said:
@gallagher said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525926) said:
One cub pffft

I'm a WT member from a Balmain Tigers heritage. I want a new Liverpool Stadium or joint homeground ownership of the new SFS. So your dichotomy is stuggling.

I better see a doctor about that.

@hank37w said in [Premier backs renewal of suburban NRL grounds](/post/1525933) said:
One cub pffft

What do you reckon, should just move to Perth.

Who wouldn't want Mark McGowan as #1 ticket holder.

At least we will win all our home games on forfeit.

One cub pffft

I was a Magpies fan and I don't want them to go the Campbelltown.

And I know many others who think the same way

Scrap Bankwest (Its not our ground, it will always be Parra's) and upgrade Leichhardt and Cambo, 6 games a year at each oval. Keeps Balmain and many Magpies fans happy. As an old magpies fan I'm happy to go to Leichhardt.

OR play all games out of ANZ

The only 2 options in my books

Members online

Back