Priorities

@tigersj said in [Priorities](/post/1445173) said:
Agreed. I think if we are to be a serious threat we need an 80 minute prop (doesn't need to play 80 but could) like the top 5 teams have, who can be aggressive in A and D. This guy will take the place of Tamou.
We need at least one more quality centre as well as a real lock forward who has some skills.
Finally we can not compete with the service and quality that we have been getting from hooker this season. Although with both Liddle and Simpkin we looked better, we need to be getting the same value from this important role in the team as the top teams are getting from their hookers.

Hopefully in the next few weeks Madge starts with Simpkin and brings Liddle off the bench against tiring opposition. Hooker rotation would work better that way IMO.

Experienced (but not past it) prop who can pass the ball
Speedy centres/wingers with > 50 games experience

Have plenty of good young players coming through but need experience to go with it.

Some class out wide. We are playing MCK and Talau as our centres. Nofo and Ken M are the slowest wing pair in the comp.

Maybe another dummy half. Maybe another prop but Musgrove might do the job.

The big question is where does Hastings fit in.

For me it’s pretty obvious that we lack some hard headed and experienced players on our roster.
Hastings may bring some of that but I think we still need one more tough hard working hombre in our back line.
Oliver Gildard is bit of a mystery for me …. Here’s hoping!
I also think that talented Israel Ogden may prove first grade material soon. AJ may progress and despite his defensive liabilities I still have high hopes that Talau, with this seasons behind him, can have a breakout season next year.
I’m not sure Tamou has provided what we need in terms of toughness and experience. He may stick around but my money is on early retirement. So who do we replace Tamou and Packer with ….. my pick is short term contract for someone in the mould of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.
That brings us to our lock position ….. this is the key in today’s game and getting a good, tough and experienced ball playing player will not be easy. But again someone like Wade Graham is a type of player I would be looking at for short term stint. He may have couple of seasons left in him.
So that would be priorities for me. We lack leadership and experience.

@tigersj said in [Priorities](/post/1445173) said:
Agreed. I think if we are to be a serious threat we need an 80 minute prop (doesn't need to play 80 but could) like the top 5 teams have, who can be aggressive in A and D. This guy will take the place of Tamou.
We need at least one more quality centre as well as a real lock forward who has some skills.
Finally we can not compete with the service and quality that we have been getting from hooker this season. Although with both Liddle and Simpkin we looked better, we need to be getting the same value from this important role in the team as the top teams are getting from their hookers.

Other than Twal, the last 3 weeks his played 80 against the Warriors, 56 against the Bulldogs, 73 against the Cowboys.

@boonboon said in [Priorities](/post/1445135) said:
Hooker - Would like Hodgson to guide Simpkin or Smith

Prop - We have 5 signed up we need 2 experienced props to add to Stefano, Twal, Musgrove, Mikele, Tamou.

Lock/ 2nd row - 1 experienced backrower to add too what is still not eniugh depth here

Outside backs - Need a centre

Im actually ok with our wingers and think Talau is in for 1 side but whether Kepoa or Gildart can fill the other im not sure.

I think our pack has good potential just needs quality depth.

Id keep Roberts as a backup winger

What about Ken ? He’s been hugely underrated lately . His set restarts , and attacking kick options are a revelation . He busts through the line just about every run .

@strongee said in [Priorities](/post/1445369) said:
@boonboon said in [Priorities](/post/1445135) said:
Hooker - Would like Hodgson to guide Simpkin or Smith

Prop - We have 5 signed up we need 2 experienced props to add to Stefano, Twal, Musgrove, Mikele, Tamou.

Lock/ 2nd row - 1 experienced backrower to add too what is still not eniugh depth here

Outside backs - Need a centre

Im actually ok with our wingers and think Talau is in for 1 side but whether Kepoa or Gildart can fill the other im not sure.

I think our pack has good potential just needs quality depth.

Id keep Roberts as a backup winger

What about Ken ? He’s been hugely underrated lately . His set restarts , and attacking kick options are a revelation . He busts through the line just about every run .

Ken looked over the moon last night too.
All smiles.

Great attitude and great individual on field performance.
Loved seeing it.

I don't care what positions we strengthen.

We lack leaders. We lack someone saying "settle down." Take the heat off the game when it's needed. We need someone to remind the team to build pressure and control the tempo.

The other week when we did the short drop out, 40m drop goal attempts etc etc, they were brain explosions. Brooks and Doeuhi were in the thick of that.

Doeuhi is the flavour of the month. I dont doubt his passion but he needs time to learn too.

If this team had a genuine leader and confident voice, or two, we wouldn't need much else.

I don't lump it all on Brooks either. He is competent, just needs someone to keep him on track. Many other teams don't have dominant halves, it doesn't have to be the halfback.

Just someone, anyone.

@swordy said in [Priorities](/post/1445390) said:

We lack leaders. We lack someone saying "settle down." Take the heat off the game when it's needed. We need someone to remind the team to build pressure and control the tempo.

The other week when we did the short drop out, 40m drop goal attempts etc etc, they were brain explosions. Brooks and Doeuhi were in the thick of that.

Doeuhi is the flavour of the month. I dont doubt his passion but he needs time to learn too.

If this team had a genuine leader and confident voice, or two, we wouldn't need much else.

Wait till Hastings arrives 🔥😉

The off season is going to be HUGE for a few players.
Excited for what next year holds.

@demps said in [Priorities](/post/1445391) said:

Wait till Hastings arrives ??

It's going to be another long off season:face_with_rolling_eyes:

@tigerwest said in [Priorities](/post/1445404) said:

Hopefully Jacko doesn't knock anyone out.

@demps said in [Priorities](/post/1445408) said:

As long as it someone we want gone, it'll be OK:)

@tiger-tragic said in [Priorities](/post/1445389) said:
I’m liking Tuki Simpkins the more I see of him and he’s still a kid. With him and Stefano we’ve got a couple of gun forwards for the future. Keeping them should be a priority

I like Tuki as well. He has that extra ability lots of player don't have. You can see it in his offloads. Just needs time. I can see him being a really good lock forward.

@demps said in [Priorities](/post/1445408) said:

Hell he can get suspended for 10 weeks as long as he takes out Dylan walker again

@demps said in [Priorities](/post/1445021) said:
I don't think Watson will happen.

There is underlying issues that need to be addressed. Please reply and disagree if you must but I feel this is cold hard facts / truths.

Nofo - too comfortable. Doesn't appear to be trying. Runs sideways and doesn't compete. Maumalo is coming good but Nofo is a weak link. Can we please shop him and find some one else?

Talau - not a first grader. Isn't improving. I see the hopeful comments but he's not up to it. Gildart probably isn't the answer either.

Mbye - no words, he's going. Some one else's problem.

Brooks - we going to waste another year with him at 7? When is enough, enough ? Hoping Hastings kills it and gives us no choice to shop him.

Mikaele - depth. Too sloppy. Needs to trim down and improve dramatically to keep a position in the 17.

Tamou - can we sell him off a year early? Doesn't offer anything on field or off.

Captaincy - we know who it should be. Why isn't this happening? AD to (C) and let's build around him.

Good points Demps, Mikaele we can all see the potential but has struggled to get minutes and
Yesterday’s game is a clear example why.

Brooks and Nofo i have been critical of and a change of clubs is what i think is best for everyone as well. Talau still dropping in and out of games and needs to be better, our weakest position

Tamou can’t start next year, I think he will stay as a backup and Douehi to captain next year

@demps said in [Priorities](/post/1445190) said:
1 Laurie
5 Maumalo
6 AD
8 Utoikamanu
10 Twal
11 Leilua
12 Blore

14 Offa
15 Tuilagi

For me personally, that's the only guarantees going forward.
Competition for spots.

I really liked Simpkins performance tonight.
Not sure if he's 80 minute ready yet.

Lots of questions for next season.

Seyfarth make your team Demps if he re-signs?

@tigger19 said in [Priorities](/post/1445608) said:
Musgrove has really struggled hasn’t he, Madge must really rate him to give him such a long deal, very questionable decision atm let’s hope he is ready for 2022, Do you see Ogden and Dillon being offered development contracts?

Injuries are part of the game?

@willow said in [Priorities](/post/1445159) said:
Centre, wing and front row. Possibly fullback too - I'm not entirely sure Laurie stays there long term, a few see him as a 6 and maybe he is - he lacks in support play from fullback and I think we could potentially do better here - Logen Dillion if he sticks around could be the long term option.

Don't mind Ken M on one wing - can score a try despite not being overly quick - he does get our sets off to a good start also. Nofo infuriates me, and many others. Again, he's capable of scoring tries but too often crabs across field, gets caught out of position and I think we can, and should do better.

Centre is where we lack - Talau...for every good thing he does, he does something stupid, isn't overly quick and to me has the makings of a backrower with his build. Gildart is an unknown next year, looks good on his feet but defensively there's massive question marks...AJ coming back from a knee reco...he's ok in the centres, dents the line but his hands let him down a bit and to me, Israel Ogden is the most likely centre prospect we have, and is big enough and old enough to be given a chance next year IMO.

Stefano needs help up front - Tamou isn't up to it, Musgrove could be that guy but has been injured so often, and his last game defensively was a nightmare. Mikaele is frustrating, he's big enough and mobile enough but doesn't seem to want it enough which is a shame. Twal and Joe O I think do a good job of holding the middle, but we need that extra front rower who can consistently find his front and bend the line.

Musgrove has really struggled hasn’t he, Madge must really rate him to give him such a long deal, very questionable decision atm let’s hope he is ready for 2022, Do you see Ogden and Dillon being offered development contracts?

@tigerwest said in [Priorities](/post/1445611) said:
@tigger19 said in [Priorities](/post/1445608) said:

Injuries are part of the game?

Definitely, Musgrove has played 6 games in 2020 and 5 games this season so with a 4 year deal you would be hoping to get some games out of him, rather than paying him to sit on the sidelines like the club has with Packer.

Staff online

Back