R.Lui not up to NRL standard...yet..

alexaki

I'm sorry but after two shots at the NRL, in my opinion Robert Lui whilst a top class player in the making is not up to NRL standards yet…He was a passenger tonight..not really offering much in attack...With him at 7 Marshall has to take full responsibility of organising our attack and once again we looked pedestrian with our last play options....With Moltzen at 7 Benji has a true foil in attack and it shows....our attack is much more cohesive and Benji is much more potent...R.Lui may well be a future star but is not ready for the NRL..Motlzen back to 7 and Lawrence to 1 with Collis in at 4\. Oh and how disappointed I was at the lack of speed shown by Lui when he got in the clear...no pace at all...

I'm a big fan of Lui but I'll agree with that.
This time next season he'll be running the top grade around.
These couple of games will help him big time but it's time to drop him back to 20's.

i thought he played really well. He had an awesome passing game and was everywhere in defence. Especially in the 2nd half. I would play him next week but if we lose all hope at a top8 spot is gone so i would put him back in nyc against the dogs to help them.

If the Fonz does not pick Moltzen at half back, we will not make the 8.
\
\
It has been the same story all year.

I think the kid has been solid in both the hit outs he's had. He definitely played with a lot more confidence this week against the Eels than last week against Cronulla. Molzten will not be moved back to 7\. He will remain at Fullback, and i'm not sure about the rest of you, but I for one do not want to see one John Morris back in the halves for the remaining two rounds. Wests are more of a chance with Lui in the halves than Morris. I personally would like to see the kid kick more. That's my only criticism, but i'm sure Coach Sheens has instructed that Farah and Marshall have that joint responsibility over Lui. Hopefully he can get more boot to ball in over the next fortnight. Blind Freddy even acknowledges Wests need a kicking game.

@Balmain Bug said:
\
\

Spot on Bug!! Lui was nowhere near ready, and his game against the Sharks had proven that. He was not playing square enough at halfback. This loss was was waiting just to happen. Johnny Morris experiment all over again. All at the expense of the rest of the team. Don't get me wrong as he is a talent in the making, but needs to go through the system and develop.

Honestly where does Luis future go from here?

I think Moltzon Marshall should be our 7-6 for immediate and longterm future.

Lui is still young but where could he get a start. Perhaps if he bulks up a bit he could be our version of a Jim Dymock at number 13\. ?

I didnt have a problem with his game. Sounds more like a soft target for our loss.

IMO would be suited to play against bigger men in State Cup for 2010 to continue his development. Who knows from there depending on how much this kid fills out his frame.

@crouching_tiger said:
IMO would be suited to play against bigger men in State Cup for 2010 to continue his development. Who knows from there depending on how much this kid fills out his frame.

Has he signed with us for next year???

@alexaki said:
I'm sorry but after two shots at the NRL, in my opinion Robert Lui whilst a top class player in the making is not up to NRL standards yet…He was a passenger tonight..not really offering much in attack...With him at 7 Marshall has to take full responsibility of organising our attack and once again we looked pedestrian with our last play options....With Moltzen at 7 Benji has a true foil in attack and it shows....our attack is much more cohesive and Benji is much more potent...R.Lui may well be a future star but is not ready for the NRL..Motlzen back to 7 and Lawrence to 1 with Collis in at 4\. Oh and how disappointed I was at the lack of speed shown by Lui when he got in the clear...no pace at all...

unfortunately i have to agree. i have had a high opinion of lui and whilst he is head and shoulders above nyc, he really looked overwhelmed last night.

Thought he played a decent game last night, I didnt think much of him whilst at the game watching but when reviewing it on fox this morning he played a lot better than i first thought i will give credit were it is due :smiley:

I have just finished watching a replay of the game and I also thought he went ok.

He got stood up once by Jarad Hayne after he kicked through on the 5th tackle but apart from that it was an honest effort.

Would I keep at 7 for the game against the Titans ??????

@Balmain Bug said:
\
\

by all reports Moltz is done for the year might as well keep him in their for the final 2 rounds to give him some gametime for next year

next year there are some good things there if we stop getting stupid injuries all at the same time

I thought he was good. A very young bloke in a high cooker situation. Mateo targeted him though he didn't shirk it in defence. With ball in hand he didn't do anything stupid and was calm and would take the tackle if nothing was on.

@balmain1 said:
@crouching_tiger said:

Has he signed with us for next year???

We've got him until the end of 2012.

hes used to people running off him,our guys arent even trying
how many time did he run up against the sharks looking to get offloads off and the tigers didnt even have anyone up there to support him like Mullaney does in the u20s
Put Mullaney at 1 and Lui at 7 and i think we will see how good lui can actually be

hes defense though still needs work but so did benji's when he first started

If Moltzens out then Lui deserves to stay in for the last 2 games of the season.
Who knows, maybe with the extra responsibility it'll bring him on quicker & he'll win us the next two games & extend our season a bit…

My opinion:

In no way has Lui been soft/or weak. Sure he hasn't had the greatest attacking game in the last few games.. but at least he hasnt been chancing his hand and costing us games.. We its not happening on the right side hes happy to hit the line and take the tackle.

Yes moltzen might be better, but hes damn good at fullback as well.

Im sure with time Lui will bring his attacking game in and we will very potent in 2010.

And just remember, if the ball had bounced into molztens hand and he ran away to score *likely* everyone would be saying what a genious sheens is for putting moltzen in 1.

Ithought Lui went ok spot on he likes guys running off him , ithink his role is just get it out to Bengi maybe a little more responability in the running of the team i think he will shine

Members online

Back