Robert Lui charged with assaulting girlfriend

@Danos said:
@happy tiger said:
@Danos said:
Seems like a real turbulent relationship there. Charges were dismissed last time after reconciliation, but I can't see that happening again. Terible for all parties involved. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is twice now under the same circumstances.

Club should be issuing a statement this morning..

Lets hope the club handles it properly and not makes us the laughing stock of the NRL

Seems like the club really has no choice, has to sack him. We can't have a bloke like this represent us. I know innocent until proven guilty and all of that.. but still. Court date is October 7th.. I expect WT will "stand him down from club duties" until then.

I don't know if they can sack him until something's been proved - they can't open themselves to a future wrongful dismissal case quite apart from anything else.

That said, I must admit I've felt very conflicted about the way last year's situation got swept under the carpet. It's impossible to know the ins and outs of any situation like this and I hate to comment or judge people without the facts, but at this stage I'd certainly feel more comfortable if the guy wasn't at our club any more.

I think it is about time Slammin Sam came down and took Lui out the back and teach what is right and wrong for once and for all. I wish he would show this much agression on the field. Bye Rob.

It's unfortunate but i mean no one really knows the facts…i'm not standing up for lui, never met the guy but there are two sides to every story and i mean look at inglis for melb everyone condemned him when he went up for assult on then ex-girlfriend and that ex is now back with him, be interesting to see what happens next though...

and Demps glad ya got my back *winks*

I was a staunch supporter of his last time this happened, but I won't be backing him up a second time.

Such a dam shame, but he was really coming on this year, and things were looking bright.

I just hope people help him sort out his issues, rather than just hanging him out to dry.

If, as it seems he did this, he needs to spend a little cell time with 'Bubba'.
Anyone who has such a marked lack of self control and attempts to garner any semblance of domestic control by using his physical advantage (ie laying into a woman) deserves a stint on the other side of the equation. This is your cell shorty and the giant cranky dude in the corner is your cell mate … meet Big Bubba ...

I truly hope this report has some form of ambiguous sub text because I'm a big fan of the kids footballing ability - if however it's just as it appears he needs to be punted.
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Do you think this could derail our 2012 season? I hope not but how will we recover from this?
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

Wests Tigers NRL halfback Robert Lui has again been charged with assaulting his girlfriend, the club says.

Burwood police charged Lui following an alleged domestic assault at Strathfield last night, which has left his career in limbo.

Police were called to Lui's home on George Street, North Strathfield, about 7pm, where they found a woman with swelling to her face.

It's alleged the woman was assaulted by 21-year-old Lui.

Lui was arrested and taken to Burwood Police Station where he was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The halfback was given bail and will appear in Burwood Local Court on October 7.

The charge comes after the Tigers were eliminated from the 2011 finals race last Friday when they lost to the Warriors.

In September last year, Lui was charged with nine offences related to assaulting his girlfriend Taleah Rae Backo, who was pregnant at the time, just hours after his team were knocked out of the NRL finals.

Lui, who had since reunited with Backo, had those assault charges dismissed in April.

The Tigers are expected to release a statement shortly.
\
\
\
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-player-robert-lui-charged-with-assaulting-girlfriend-20110920-1kil7.html#ixzz1YRnYuYrk

@tigerz2012 said:
Do you think this could derail our 2012 season? I hope not but how will we recover from this?
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

it'll set things back a little bit I expect, but I don't think our whole season will be derailed.

I heard young Sirro is a gun, I know hes a 5/8 but maybe he can slot into that role.

But the Turnstyle is rugby League player with talent, so no doubt even if the allegations are true, he will be back one day.
You would almost have to murder someone to not be given a 50th chance in league.

Unbelievable. Rob's looking like a real WOFTAM now.

And big concerns about his future…

Troublesome times indeed. A real shame this has happened as Lui had been one of the Tigers big improvers in the second half of the season. Have to wait and see what sort of brief the Police submit, but there will not doubt be some serious questions raised now.

@izotope said:
You guys keep saying twice; however the charges were dismissed the first time.

I don't condone it in the least however if this was benji Marshall everyone was at the tune of innocent until proven guilty…

Let's get the facts and if it's true he will need to be reprimanded; sacking him might not be the best thing for
Him his partner and son. Maybe 6-12 months off community service an some anger management lessons.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

The charges were dismissed but it doesn't mean nothing happened. The charges may well be dismissed this time too. But as a club we can't be a passive observor to a repeating cycle like this and rely on his wife keeps dropping the charges.

@stryker said:
@KingOvKingz09 said:
Time todd 'tiger' carney Posted using RoarFEED

I have only one thing to say to that….

http://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc

I agree, we don't need to replace 1 guy who doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes with another.

Nice use of The Office to stryker :slight_smile:

If this goes down the way it looks like it will go down - Go with Miller - A full off season of training with the 1st grade boys should get him on track.

Back