TEAM LIST Round 11 vs. Dolphins

Team List
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those teams where I think we are much better on paper, but will start off at long odds.

I wonder if we even considered asking Benji to step back down to assistant coach and Bennet to be head coach for a couple of years or even as a coaching director of some kind.

Still can't believe our current head coach hasnt even been a head coach of an u18s team
We would have to have Benji on board with the idea.

Look at who would be after Bennett:
Souths
Phil Gould may try the same thing with Cameron Ciraldo for a season. He pushed this idea at Penrith.
Manly may get away from Siebold, but I doubt Bennett would kiss Penn.
Dragons, while Flanno is doing the right things there. I have zero doubt someone on the board wants to axe him.
Easts, Nick has money.

We would have to have Benji on board with the idea.

Look at who would be after Bennett:
Souths
Phil Gould may try the same thing with Cameron Ciraldo for a season. He pushed this idea at Penrith.
Manly may get away from Siebold, but I doubt Bennett would kiss Penn.
Dragons, while Flanno is doing the right things there. I have zero doubt someone on the board wants to axe him.
Easts, Nick has money.
The news up here confirmed that Bennet has agreed to coach Souths.
It would've been on the Sydney news too.

The news up here confirmed that Bennet has agreed to coach Souths.
It would've been on the Sydney news too.

Apparently Bennet has “agreed” the terms with Souths but doesnt sign the contract until this weekend when Souffs are up there for magic round .. he has been known previously to agree a deal and later walk away …Roosters …again ..

We need to do things differently...

1. I get it's probably an ego thing and he wouldn't like it but Api should start off the bench. He runs himself ragged and it's too much after 60 minutes and he regularly doesn't finish games. Plus we tend to concede before halftime and a fresh Api coming into the game is better than him being so tired he can't get to the ruck. Just needs 15 minutes off. Alternatively you could do sub him before halftime too but that's usually a crucial period and it's vital Api is on the field then, and you're burning another interchange to get him back on.

2. It's criminal how underutilised Olam is. He's also a player who thrives on involvement. Get him early ball every time we get the opposition on the back foot with a quick play the ball. It should be feed Olam every chance you get. 1 on 1 he's so good. Get him the damn ball.

3. We need more second phase play. We seem to be actively avoiding it. Often our players get hands free but don't throw it, Klemmer gets turned around almost every tackle but doesn't look to pass. The error rates of our forwards (outside of Bateman who can barely hold the ball) is exceptional, but their impact is very low. Let's push it a bit more and look to offload. I've always thought twal could develop this. He's rarely a dominant runner but he's often standing in a tackle. And you're offloading to one of the sharpest players in the game with Api there, and that should also free up space through the middle for Bula. Or go for the quick shift to Olam out wide. I think our forwards could do this well. Play some football, start developing some attacking threat by offloading.

4. We seem to go for distance with our bombs rather than kicking them into contestable areas. I think it's better we're competing for the ball and potentially getting possession back at the 20 rather than having the opposition field it uncontested at 5-10 metre line. For some reason we're really bad at holding teams in that area, allowing less space to return kicks might help.

5. Please don't play kepaoa for very long.

1. I get it's probably an ego thing and he wouldn't like it but Api should start off the bench. He runs himself ragged and it's too much after 60 minutes and he regularly doesn't finish games. Plus we tend to concede before halftime and a fresh Api coming into the game is better than him being so tired he can't get to the ruck. Just needs 15 minutes off. Alternatively you could do sub him before halftime too but that's usually a crucial period and it's vital Api is on the field then, and you're burning another interchange to get him back on.

2. It's criminal how underutilised Olam is. He's also a player who thrives on involvement. Get him early ball every time we get the opposition on the back foot with a quick play the ball. It should be feed Olam every chance you get. 1 on 1 he's so good. Get him the damn ball.

3. We need more second phase play. We seem to be actively avoiding it. Often our players get hands free but don't throw it, Klemmer gets turned around almost every tackle but doesn't look to pass. The error rates of our forwards (outside of Bateman who can barely hold the ball) is exceptional, but their impact is very low. Let's push it a bit more and look to offload. I've always thought twal could develop this. He's rarely a dominant runner but he's often standing in a tackle. And you're offloading to one of the sharpest players in the game with Api there, and that should also free up space through the middle for Bula. Or go for the quick shift to Olam out wide. I think our forwards could do this well. Play some football, start developing some attacking threat by offloading.

4. We seem to go for distance with our bombs rather than kicking them into contestable areas. I think it's better we're competing for the ball and potentially getting possession back at the 20 rather than having the opposition field it uncontested at 5-10 metre line. For some reason we're really bad at holding teams in that area, allowing less space to return kicks might help.

Hear Hear!!

If we turn up, with Fledger out we can win.

Not holding out hope, but guys do your stuff.

Ok if your not going to win, at least bring the Biff!

6. Support the player running the ball. We lack the support play that other top sides have. This would make a big difference.
7. Slow the ruck down, this really should be number one. We need to push the envelope with the pelicans in the middle. Owning the duck is crucial ti winning games.
8. Kick pressure, we virtually deliver no kick pressure to the opposition. They have all the time in the world to pin point their kicks. Watch Melbourne they continuously do this even if it’s one guy from marker. Makes a big difference…

Good points.
I think the value of Kepaoa is his ability to break a tackle. We only have him, Olam, Api, Bula and Stef who can do that.
To me the team looks like they’re more focused on doing their job, rather than being ‘in the game.’ I could be wrong, but it looks like a case of micromanagement?
Our 2 wins were interesting, particularly the Sharks win, where our 3 best were Bula, Api and Galvin. Galvin was told to play what he sees and have fun. You can’t give those instructions to just one player and expect it to not filter throughout the team, can you?
So what’s happened? Why aren’t the players providing the solutions?

This could be a horrible game to watch as we have Blind and Bewildered as the referee and video ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back