LIVE GAME Round 6 vs. Dragons

Live Game Discussion
Out of curiosity, what was the curtain raiser for sunday's game? I think both cup and flegg played elsewhere? I'm still astonished at the complete lack of professionalism shown through the management of our lower grades.
. . . . . . . . . KOE played at Lidcombe the day before, gates opened at Campbelltown at 2.30pm so that anyone that came at that time could look forward to twiddling their thumbs for an hour and a half before the NRL game started.

I suppose you could also take in the ambience of the 9th wonder of the world.

Pathetic, what happened to them saying that they would be playing lower grades before games, that was a few seasons ago now.

I know they don't draw in a big crowd but make it easier for those that are interested to see some of the future stars of the game and give them a bit of encouragement by putting them on the same stage as the top grade that many of them aspire to play one day.

From the first moments their pack totally dominated..but the real killer was their offloads.
We simply didn't react...zzzz Benji?
Separately,our backrow is living on reputation..Batemans a shadow of what he was at Canberra,and Paps just unfit for an edge
Pole is a prop..too imobile for13....Samuela shld slot str8 in to starting pack somewhere
Stefano playing great
The kids in KOE aren't ready
Thank goodness for the Titans or it cld be a 3 peat!
Titans, Souffs, St'George, Bulldogs all on the improve, unless we get our shit together and consistently play to our very best and have some luck with injuries and suspensions, a 3 peat is definitely a possibility.

It may seem such an insignificant part of the game but our kick-offs where terrible. We would only kick to the 10m so by the time our defence got to the Dragons ball carrier they usually got to the 20m. It constantly put us on the back foot. We barely made it to the 10m when we received. Our contact just wasn’t there and the late offloads absolutely killed us. They used their key players well. I have said before we will get outclassed in a few games but we should never be out enthused, that was so disappointing. Gotta really roll up our sleeves this week

It may seem such an insignificant part of the game but our kick-offs where terrible. We would only kick to the 10m so by the time our defence got to the Dragons ball carrier they usually got to the 20m. It constantly put us on the back foot. We barely made it to the 10m when we received. Our contact just wasn’t there and the late offloads absolutely killed us. They used their key players well. I have said before we will get outclassed in a few games but we should never be out enthused, that was so disappointing. Gotta really roll up our sleeves this week
RL is a game of winning territory, so every metre counts. We kicked off at least 6 times, that’s 60metres in total we lost just there.

One reason for our inconsistency and poor form could be due to the youth and inexperience in our young side. A good move from Benji to chase hard for an older halfback.
There are probably 10 really young players play NRL and we have half of them. Other teams introduce young players one at a time and with better preparation.
We’ve always had this mindset that one good player will magically transform the entire club culturally. Or that 5 kids will do the job.
While the kids may have the potential, they lack the experience and while they have the youthful exuberance it doesn’t transform the below average culture.

For some perspective
Ice made 48 tackles (two missed), his attack has not been great but he hasn’t had a half decent half giving him opportunities over the last 18 months.
Tigers were well beaten on Sunday
But St George had one try from a their pass rolling along the ground and going to hand
Then another try by Flanagan who was off side, came within the 10, then received the ball without being put on side
Tigers were on the attack and API was penalised for a ‘disruptor’ despite touching the ball first and knocking it back
Tigers were very poor, but St George weren’t much better and got the bounce of the ball/ref

We simply have to try Fainu in place of Papalii. Papalii can play prop to replace Klem for a week, or go to the bench. Papalii is not a back rower anymore, he's stated he wants to be a prop, and he's playing exactly like a 40-50 min prop. We can't compensate for him out wide any longer. I'd definitely be looking to release him next season unless his form picks up.
I like the idea of that - did he really say he wants to play prop? Chuck him at lock and the use Fainu as an edge. I’d then use Pole in our prop rotation - he has had periods of massive impact when not playing big minutes and I’d give up on Twal - love him and he is all heart but he offers little

'Don't suit them too well': Phil Gould's 'stage fright' theory over Wests Tigers' surprise loss to Dragons​

Lachlan Harper headshot
By Lachlan Harper
Tigers let down by 'stage fright'

WATCH AND READ

Tigers let down by 'stage fright'​

Following a shock loss to the Dragons on the weekend, league icon Phil Gould believes the Tigers are still facing "growing pains" as their rebuild continues.
In front of a sold out crowd at Campbelltown, the Tigers put forward one of their worst performances of the season with the Dragons winning 24-12.
It was a setback for coach Benji Marshall, who has enjoyed a strong start to his coaching tenure.

With significant home crowd support, Gould explained the Tigers struggled to perform on the back of expectation.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Faace566c-84cc-4305-9996-307aa5769fa5
Jahream Bula is tackled against the St George Illawarra Dragons. (Getty)
"There's a bit of a theory with these bottom teams, big crowds and favouritism don't suit them too well," he said on Nine's 100% Footy.
"Expectation is another pressure they're not normally used to. Most of the time they go out, they're underdogs but all of a sudden you're favourites at home in front of a big crowd and they (the Tigers) got a bit of stage fright I thought. I thought they just didn't quite aim up."

The Tigers were sent a shock early when Dragons winger Zac Lomax scored in the first minute.
Stefano Utoikamanu managed to hit back for the home side but the Dragons then ran away with it.
League legend Paul Gallen explained there was pandemonium around the ground before kick off due to the improvement shown by the Tigers on the field.

"They ended up opening up the gates at the stadium," he said.
"There was that many people lining up outside they ended up opening the gates and letting everybody in and I've got to say there was an air of expectation.
"There was a real good vibe around the whole place, from all reports they're training really well, they're loving footy at the moment and the expectation in the crowd was pretty high and they probably let the crowd down (and) they let themselves down obviously.
"They weren't great the Tigers, they were pretty poor."

With boom rookie Lachie Galvin still suspended and new coach Marshall only six rounds into his official role, Gould explained it's all part of the experience as the club looks to return to finals.
"There's a lot of growing pains to go through with those fellas," he said.
"They're two or three years away from where they want to be. You're going to get games like that, simple as that.
"I think expectation probably got the better of them and Dragons came with that spoiling style and they just allowed the Tigers to beat themselves."

'Don't suit them too well': Phil Gould's 'stage fright' theory over Wests Tigers' surprise loss to Dragons​

Lachlan Harper headshot
By Lachlan Harper
Tigers let down by 'stage fright''stage fright'

WATCH AND READ

Tigers let down by 'stage fright'​

Following a shock loss to the Dragons on the weekend, league icon Phil Gould believes the Tigers are still facing "growing pains" as their rebuild continues.
In front of a sold out crowd at Campbelltown, the Tigers put forward one of their worst performances of the season with the Dragons winning 24-12.
It was a setback for coach Benji Marshall, who has enjoyed a strong start to his coaching tenure.

With significant home crowd support, Gould explained the Tigers struggled to perform on the back of expectation.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Faace566c-84cc-4305-9996-307aa5769fa5
Jahream Bula is tackled against the St George Illawarra Dragons. (Getty)
"There's a bit of a theory with these bottom teams, big crowds and favouritism don't suit them too well," he said on Nine's 100% Footy.
"Expectation is another pressure they're not normally used to. Most of the time they go out, they're underdogs but all of a sudden you're favourites at home in front of a big crowd and they (the Tigers) got a bit of stage fright I thought. I thought they just didn't quite aim up."

The Tigers were sent a shock early when Dragons winger Zac Lomax scored in the first minute.
Stefano Utoikamanu managed to hit back for the home side but the Dragons then ran away with it.
League legend Paul Gallen explained there was pandemonium around the ground before kick off due to the improvement shown by the Tigers on the field.

"They ended up opening up the gates at the stadium," he said.
"There was that many people lining up outside they ended up opening the gates and letting everybody in and I've got to say there was an air of expectation.
"There was a real good vibe around the whole place, from all reports they're training really well, they're loving footy at the moment and the expectation in the crowd was pretty high and they probably let the crowd down (and) they let themselves down obviously.
"They weren't great the Tigers, they were pretty poor."

With boom rookie Lachie Galvin still suspended and new coach Marshall only six rounds into his official role, Gould explained it's all part of the experience as the club looks to return to finals.
"There's a lot of growing pains to go through with those fellas," he said.
"They're two or three years away from where they want to be. You're going to get games like that, simple as that.
"I think expectation probably got the better of them and Dragons came with that spoiling style and they just allowed the Tigers to beat themselves."

I wouldn’t call 16k a big crowd. There was 17k at LO and there was no stage fright. Gould’s Bulldogs was one of the youngest teams last year so maybe he is speaking from recent experience. I don’t know why Benji kept the players in the shed for so long prior to kick off having an emotional talk?

I wouldn’t call 16k a big crowd. There was 17k at LO and there was no stage fright. Gould’s Bulldogs was one of the youngest teams last year so maybe he is speaking from recent experience. I don’t know why Benji kept the players in the shed for so long prior to kick off having an emotional talk?
I took Gould's comment as highlighting the significance of the match and the expectation for the team to perform at their best on such a special occasion.
I share the same opinion, as our team has historically struggled to rise to the occasion in key moments. I'm sick of seeing us not be up for it. If we're a team who wants to play finals footy, this is an area we need to improve on. I hope that Benji and the coaching staff can change this pattern and instill a new mindset within the team to perform at their peak when it matters most.

Still think we're lacking a few players with a competitive streak but yeah I agree Benji needs to use his bench more effectively so it doesn't impact the team the following week. Felt we were flat from the get go, that Parra game would've taken a lot out of them.

Close your eyes for a second... imagine we didn't have Galvin.... what do we have???
We’ll need a lot more than Galvin to give us hope. Need that intensity like vs Sharks and Parra.
He’s got great potential but needs to be running off a good platform.
Let’s see if we can bounce back or if we may have peaked already.

Tigers have been routinely choking in games they should win for a decade now. Last time the team was fairly mentally solid was 2011.

For some years, WT had a chance to make the semis and they always failed in the crunch game. For some years, we have failed when installed as favourites. The only time I remember us winning a game we were favoured to win was the Dolphins last year, and Api almost single-handedly dragged the team to a lucky one point win.

Latest posts

Back