Royce Simmons

Was listening to 2sm today..Pete Mortimer rang in to confirm rumours Steve has some very serious health issues,including unfortunately a very rapidly developing dementia problem
Gonna be ARLs biggest issue this year after Covid,and expect to see another crackdown on head tackles

@clontarfkid said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526203) said:
Was listening to 2sm today..Pete Mortimer rang in to confirm rumours Steve has some very serious health issues,including unfortunately a rapidly developing dementia
Gonna be ARLs biggest issue this year after Covid,and expect to see another crackdown on head tackles

Could be going down the same path as the NFL have previously. Could be the potential for lawsuits.

Was listening to 2sm today..Pete Mortimer rang in to confirm rumours Steve has some very serious health issues,including unfortunately a very rapidly developing dementia problem

Could be going down the same road as the NFL have in recent years. Potential for a lot of lawsuits.

@gnr4life said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526205) said:

Could be going down the same road as the NFL have in recent years. Potential for a lot of lawsuits.

Which I think is wrong. No-one forces any player to play the game, it's obviously a high risk sport and that fact is known by every player from a very young age. Same as combat sports, motorsports and the like.

That being said all the best to Royce and I hope he has many more years of quality of life. Sad news.

@fade-to-black said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526210) said:

Which I think is wrong. No-one forces any player to play the game, it's obviously a high risk sport and that fact is known by every player from a very young age. Same as combat sports, motorsports and the like.

That being said all the best to Royce and I hope he has many more years of quality of life. Sad news.

It might be wrong, but it’s the way of the world. People sue for things all the time that could easily come back to personal responsibility like burning their tongues on a McDonalds apple pie. I’m not a lawyer, but if the NRL are taking precautions now that they weren’t taking 30-40 years ago, that right there could be grounds to sue. You can’t really argue that the affects of concussions weren’t known back as far back as the 90’s because the evidence was out there.

Thoughts are with Royce and his family.

Really tough guy but also an excellent coach.

@gnr4life said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526214) said:

It might be wrong, but it’s the way of the world. People sue for things all the time that could easily come back to personal responsibility like burning their tongues on a McDonalds apple pie. I’m not a lawyer, but if the NRL are taking precautions now that they weren’t taking 30-40 years ago, that right there could be grounds to sue. You can’t really argue that the affects of concussions weren’t known back as far back as the 90’s because the evidence was out there.

People who have never played sport in their lives still get Alzheimer's and dementia.

@fade-to-black said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526218) said:

People who have never played sport in their lives still get Alzheimer's and dementia.

True, but when you play a contact sport the risk is higher. Which means the governing body needs better protections in place.

Damn awful disease. Best wishes to Royce and his family in this very tough time

@tiger-tragic said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526220) said:
@fade-to-black said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526218) said:

And people who never smoked get lung cancer. What is your point other than not understanding relative risk.

My point is people who play high-rise sport know the risks associated. Risk/reward.

@fade-to-black said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526223) said:
My point is people who play high-rise sport know the risks associated. Risk/reward.

They probably know it but at that point in time they can't see it. I sort of agree with your point but at the same time those sporting bodies need to protect the athletes a bit.

@oldprop said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526175) said:
Royce is 61.

Fortunately I can still remember being 61 but you just don't know when something like this might get a hold of you.

I know a lot of people joke about it when they can't remember where they have left the car keys or even where you have parked the car in a shopping centre, but when you can't remember that you own a car or that you have a partner or kids it really is not a joke any more and scares the hell out of you just thinking about it.

Best of luck Royce and can only wish you the best of outcomes.

Im over it.

Yes the NRL is doing small things. But this guy is in his 40's woth Dimensia !

Seriously they need to do a lot more then the Concussion bin. How about 5m instead of 10m between teams?
Unsure if head padding can work at all. I have heard people say it does nothing, it would need to Absorb a shock, so maybe disposable padding could work.

Either way if our sport is churning out Dimensia cases at 40yr old, thats horrible

I wish Royce and his family all the best.

Modern medicine is keeping our bodies going but our minds are wither away. Unfortunately it is not a case of healthy body healthy mind. The brain must also be exercised.

Wouldn’t wish it on my enemy. .

It’s a horrible disease. To watch a loved one go through it is heart breaking.

My father was diagnosed with it in 2018, today he is in a nursing home obliviousness to the world. He is 82.

I think it's moreso about duty of care. No one is forcing them to play but they are surrounded by people they trust with their lives in doctors and physios. So I can understand if there was a lack of duty of care. If more people come with head related injuries and with long term effects of it, NRL will and should be blamed. If people who play Rugby League are more likely to have long term brain related illnesses, it would mean that this sport isn't safe, it isn't regulated well or the code has a pattern of a lack of duty of care.

@tig_prmz said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526232) said:
I think it's moreso about duty of care. No one is forcing them to play but they are surrounded by people they trust with their lives in doctors and physios. So I can understand if there was a lack of duty of care. If more people come with head related injuries and with long term effects of it, NRL will and should be blamed. If people who play Rugby League are more likely to have long term brain related illnesses, it would mean that this sport isn't safe, it isn't regulated well or the code has a pattern of a lack of duty of care.

Where do you draw the line though as far as Duty Of Care is concerned? High-risk sports are described as such for a reason.

100% don't want to degenerate this thread though, it's intended as a place of good wishes for Roycie and his wellbeing.

Sad news about Royce and Steve Mortimer. As an interesting side point it appears as though Alan Sullivan QC will be appointed to ARL Commission. The cynical view would be that the NRL may want a very learned barrister on the books when and if things do start to get ugly legally.

@crazycat said in [Royce Simmons](/post/1526228) said:
Im over it.

Yes the NRL is doing small things. But this guy is in his 40's woth Dimensia !

Seriously they need to do a lot more then the Concussion bin. How about 5m instead of 10m between teams?
Unsure if head padding can work at all. I have heard people say it does nothing, it would need to Absorb a shock, so maybe disposable padding could work.

Either way if our sport is churning out Dimensia cases at 40yr old, thats horrible

Who's that? In they're 40s?

Back