Rugby World Cup 2023

The final showed everyone perfectly why Rugby Union is almost dead in this country.A total of 1 try scored in the entire game and that by a the team that lost,penalty goals won the game for the country with an extra man and i don't mean the referee.Boring as batshit

The final showed everyone perfectly why Rugby Union is almost dead in this country.A total of 1 try scored in the entire game and that by a the team that lost,penalty goals won the game for the country with an extra man and i don't mean the referee.Boring as batshit

1698529800976.jpeg

I haven't watched rugby since two world cups ago.

I wasn't surprised by the stop start nature of the match, it is just a more technical sport, but I was shocked at how intrusive the video ref is.

Calling back the New Zealand try was outrageous. I feel like it happened a number of phases before the try, how far can you go back? How much of a game is reviewable?

Those yellow and red card decisions would barely be penalties in rugby league, let alone sin binnings. It felt like the officiating during magic round a few years ago when head high decisions became farcical. Neither player had intent in their tackles and it was just a result of the speed and the nature of the sport. And they spend ten minutes in a little box determining whether it's a yellow or red card, when the tackle wasn't even seen as a penalty in the match itself.

Asking massive forwards to get into unnaturally low positions at high speed in a contact sport seems ridiculous. I get giving penalties for those tackles, but there's just no point sin binning for incidental contact. Neither of those tackles even looked reckless or careless. They were just standard tackles. What can those players do?

Video refs are intruding more on league, our match against the cowboys being one of the pinnacles of how it can go too far. I hope the game never comes to be as dominated by the video ref as this match was. It felt like this was a match focused on the referees, rather than the two teams playing for the trophy.

A shame for both sides and the fans.

Did not watch the final but just saw a highlight package. The rules of rugby will almost certainly destroy the game here in Australia. The kiwi send off was absolutely crazy as were the sin bins. As for the intentional knock on rule must be the most stupid rule in sport. Somewhere along the way rugby administrators have forgotten they are in the entertainment business.

Back in the Mark Ella days rugby was a very good product now it’s a total bore fest

What an unmitigated disaster, can only imagine how Dave Rennie must be feeling.
Where to now ? Back to the future with Cheika or someone different ( local or overseas).
A completely wasted World Cup campaign resulting in us being the laughing stock of the rugby world.
Piss off Eddie, don’t ever come back, and may you suffer further embarrassment in your beloved Japan.

Some article on The Roar yesterday was comparing the Wallabies and the WTs
And.....

The Roar is the journalistic equivalent of fan-fiction!

The incompetence of the Chairman - Board and CEO are very similar though...

Back