Rule/Interpretation Changes for 2014

interchange reduced down to six per game. get the smaller guys with genuine skills to have an opportunity to dominate a game and not have the 110kg boofheads thumping it up for 10 minutes then having a rest.

5m rule instead if 10m as well …. sort of back to the future, to get ball playing forwards involved.

wouldnt coaches like dessy, wayne ( the untouchable ) and madge struggle then. heaven forbid, they would need a plan B.

I liked the new Bulldogs CEO's idea in regards to player who want out of contracts

Her idea is the player must compensate the club they are leaving , not the club that the player is going to

Not a bad idea if you ask me

@innsaneink said:
Walking off the mark, or taking a big one or two steps forward/left or forward/to the right really gives me the irrits,
Its usually on the back of a player half getting thru the line and getting a quik ptb, this ensure the dummy half is moving forward when he picks it up and his recievers are as well

The markers are rendered useless….I hate it, and wish refs would clamp down on it more

100% spot on also go back to 1 referee I hate the 2 referee on the field I don't think works

Seriously it's time the NRL did something about the clock and stopping it when the balls is out of play. I've wondered for soo many years why the clock is never stopped when there is no play. It would stop the absurd forwards having to packing a scrum to stop the clock.

League only really is a 70 minute game. I emailed the Sunday roast and vossy said he would like to see the clock stopped in the last 10 minutes a few years ago.

I would like to see the clock stopped when the ball is out of play, under two specifics.

1/ only in the second half
2/ only if game is within 6 points

To stop the clock at every occasion will burn the players out.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

Players walking off the mark when playing the ball infuriates me. Particularly guys like Hodges, Inglis, and Sutton when they pretend they are upset with the tackler and grab their jersey like they want to punch on. It's an act to take the marker out of play. It's a professional foul. Do it once; penalty. Twice; 10 in the bin.

I would like to see a change to the restart after the attacking team kicks the ball over the dead ball line.
If they kick it dead from outside of the 20m line I think it should restart as a scrum to the defending team from where the attacking player kicked the ball. It would stop the deliberate slowing down of the game by just blasting it long from 60m out and then setting your line at the 30m for the restart (a ploy we used very well a few years ago against Melbourne to take Slater out of the game). Leave it as is if it is kicked from inside the 20m.

@Blackpearl said:
interchange reduced down to six per game. get the smaller guys with genuine skills to have an opportunity to dominate a game and not have the 110kg boofheads thumping it up for 10 minutes then having a rest.

5m rule instead if 10m as well …. sort of back to the future, to get ball playing forwards involved.

wouldnt coaches like dessy, wayne ( the untouchable ) and madge struggle then. heaven forbid, they would need a plan B.

I don't think Des Hasler would struggle , if anything with the way his forwards can play before the line with that short passing game they would indeed prosper with the five metre rule

Five metre rule with the modern players and fitness levels wouldn't work ,the only time your backs would see the ball is when they got in at dummy half

Increase the 40-20 to a forty metre kick from anywhere being possession back (ie 10-50 , 20-60,30-70 ,40-80 ,50-90) would really open the game up as wingers would have to be hanging back slightly just in case

Look I wonder with what is happening in regards to the top sides who are backing their defences that if they give too many penalties away in a half whether we need to stick a maximum amount of penalties per half and once they reach that level they should lose a player for every penalty after the maximum allowed

Lets say the rule is 7 maximum , when you hit the 7th the captain is given a verbal warning that the next penalty afterwards and the player who commits the penalty gets ten in the sin bin

1) Strip rule drives me mental. Put the onus back on ball security and you watch the drop ball incidents halve. At least. It's all BS. 90% of strip penalties are absurd. To make an effective 'ball & all' tackle without sometimes making contact with the bloody ball would be near impossible.

2) Stepping what seems like 2 metres off the mark to play the ball is out of control these days and hardly ever penalised. It's a ploy to get the roll on and also creates an illusion of the markers being not square.

3) If a player is down hurt or MILKING for longer than a specified amount of time (I.e. to allow his team a rest, allow enough time for the video ref to examine and/or to gain a penalty), he should be forced from the field for a length of time to be checked over and given the all clear. This would count as an interchange. It also promotes player welfare.

The wrestle, is also boring and killing the game.

Bradley!

Best thread I have read in a LONG time! Some brilliant ideas being thrown around.

I really like the stop the clock idea, that's probably the best of them. I also like the amount of interchange reduction.

As for the Canterbury CEO's idea, I'd like to tweek it abit, if the player wants a release from his contract, then I think the club he wants to play for needs to buy his contract from the club who holds it.

No-one has really touched on this but I'd like to see the point system for the ladder changed a bit too. I think that if a team wins at home, they should get 2 points but if they win away they should get 3 points. I think this system would take away all predictable outlooks and keep the competition more exciting. The only down side I see to this is that the competition draw has to be set out so it's fair for everyone.

I've been going on for years about stopping the clock when a try is scored. I cannot see why the clock keeps ticking over while the shot at goal is taken. Easy 10 minutes every ame wasted there.

Can anyone tell me why all the player contracts can't be done in the off season?

Unless here's some reason I don't know about I would put a stop to that. Negotiations and contracts settled prior the season kick off and left alone until the day after the grand final.

Drives me crazy that halfway through the season player X can sign with team Y, while continuing to run out for team Z.

Here's my two cents;

1\. Sin Bin players as it is now for a professional foul however once/if a try is scored they return to the field.

2\. Bring back shoulder charge, just increase penatly if it contacts head.

3\. Captains can only speak to the referee at a break in play and allow quick tap.

4\. Frequent penalties to stop player back chat, walking off the mark, grubby hands in faces in the ruck

and last but not least, the rant!

5\. Sin Bin, Sin Bin, Sin Bin. Bring back the 5 minute. Sick of back chat, players in the referees face, twisting legs, cannballs, etc etc. if we start 5 minute sin bin for offences, coaches will soon stop it. I'd like to see player sent for five for disrepectful stuff like turning their back and walking off when being spoken to or not walking away when told to multiple times. Referees need to be handed back ultimate control.

Two realistic changes i would like implemented asap:

1\. Stop Calling held when an offensive player is being driven back in a tackle. It makes absolutely no sense at all. If they are making forward progress then they wouldn't be called held, but when they're being driven back by good defense, it's called held right away. Doesn't reward the defensive team and often the defensive team is penalized as a direct result of the refs early call (for going on withthetackle when they can't pull out).

2\. Penalties for a voluntary tackle. Also, (or alterrnatively) you should be allowed to strip the ball from a player who is on the ground and has succumbed to a voluntary tackle. I don't see why you reward the man with the ball if he is just lying on the ground.

i say stop the clock only after a score and restart it from kickoff.

i hate the stupid rule that if the player who regathers the ball after it has gone dead runs it back to the restart he can tap immediately. i think it is really dumb and touch footy like, and anyway, when has it ever even worked?!

i also think the restart from a ball kicked dead should be from the 30m line.

i cant stand when a winger or smaller player is dragged over the touch line from way inside the field. in this instance, once the player is tackled he is held.

@turnstyle said:
i say stop the clock only after a score and restart it from kickoff.

i hate the stupid rule that if the player who regathers the ball after it has gone dead runs it back to the restart he can tap immediately. i think it is really dumb and touch footy like, and anyway, when has it ever even worked?!

i also think the restart from a ball kicked dead should be from the 30m line.

i cant stand when a winger or smaller player is dragged over the touch line from way inside the field. in this instance, once the player is tackled he is held.

Benji scored a classic from a quick tap from a regather..

I'd like a change to extra time.

- Change from Golden Point to Golden Try
- The only play that can stop the game is a try. Field goals and penalty goals still count but will not stop play
- If one team has kicked a field goal or penalty goal during extra time, and they are up at the end of 10 minutes, they win

Additionally;

- All games are now worth 4 competition points
- A win gets you 4 points, a loss 0 points
- If a game goes to extra time, the winner gets 3 competition points, the loser 1 competition point. A draw at the end of the 10 minutes and each team gets 2 competition points

@innsaneink said:
I dont like mucking around with comp points.

Two GP losses equals a win = not right

Incorrect.

One GP loss = 1 point. Two GP losses = 2 points. One regular win = 4 points.

I would like the refs to make all decisions on the field
Then the captions can challenge decisions
Only 2 wrong for the game

Extra time. A 10 min game of 7's or 9's

Back