Searching for the Diamond in the rough.

@tigertye said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399801) said:
@pawsandclaws1 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399794) said:
Daniel Sykes is a young player who has the same qualities as Seyfarth. He hits hard, runs hard and has that spirit/will to win that makes the difference. Also Sykes is one of our own juniors. I hope Sheens takes him under his charge and has a few chats with him.

Did Sykes disappear for a while. May be another player I’m thinking of

I think that was Billy Stapleton in the trial game.

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399836) said:
@tigertuff said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399813) said:
Can we just start to develop our own kids instead of looking for other clubs trash all the time. The reason these players become available is the other clubs dont want them because they have issues. It might start meaning something to present a local junior with a first grade jumper instead of blow ins looking for a payment. We are a miss match of everyone elses crap.

Absolutely. I’m just suggesting there may be a player out there that would complement our developing players. We know we need someone that’s ready now. Not someone that will take 2-3 seasons. Internally we have young Sykes who is a very decent lock and Tuki in the grade above who will most likely become a prop in the future.
I disagree that we don’t need an injection of on field leadership. That to me isn’t going to come from within our club.
Maybe it will be Hastings.

I agree Needaname. I'm also looking forward to seeing the talented juniors we have develop over the next few years. However, at this stage, I think it is really important that we get a player (or two) from the outside right now, who can help stabilise a team that, from the outside, looks like has lost all confidence, direction and grit. We want a first grade side that our juniors look up to and want to be a part of. PS - nothing would please me more than to see our team prove me wrong this Sunday and really fight hard against the Rabbits.

we've actually looked to find the diamond in the rough a few times in recent past. Daine Laurie, Asu Kepaoa, Shawn Blore, Luciano Leilua, Kelma Tuilagi. more often than not, they've come good. Pauga was pulled out of relative obscurity in Q Cup. Ky Rodwell was another. jury is out, but Oliver Gildart is coming from the other side of the world. Edene Gebbie and the rigmaroll involved to bring him across. we have actually made a lot of obscure signings.

we're actually quite good at doing it, and have done so in the past with Austin, Taupau etc. a guy like Smith-Shields or an Isaac Lumelume, who some ITK posters have said we are looking at signing are both in the same mould.

to be honest, I think our squad for next year looks pretty decent. we need another centre, but it sounds as if we're in the market for one. a back rower and lock is where we're looking to invest heavily, but apart from that, I think we're in a good spot. yes we got slapped by 60 a fortnight ago, but I don't think our edges are going to consist of the same players next year. if we can get players that are familiar with the defensive style that Madge wants to incorporate, we'll be far better for it and you'll see more results go our way.

@tigertuff said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399813) said:
Can we just start to develop our own kids instead of looking for other clubs trash all the time. The reason these players become available is the other clubs dont want them because they have issues. It might start meaning something to present a local junior with a first grade jumper instead of blow ins looking for a payment. We are a miss match of everyone elses crap.

We are a mismatch of everyone elses crap, because when good juniors *do* come through

Tedesco et al.

They leave, because they want to win premierships, and that is not going to happen at the tigers.

I personally think if a player wants to stay at the tigers, it shows they lack drive and ambition and are exactly what we don't need.

@sataris said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399921) said:

We are a mismatch of everyone elses crap, because when good juniors *do* come through

Tedesco et al.

They leave, because they want to win premierships, and that is not going to happen at the tigers.

I personally think if a player wants to stay at the tigers, it shows they lack drive and ambition and are exactly what we don't need.

Are you serious? That is rubbish talk.

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399741) said:
@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:
Apologies for the new thread as it is a signings and suggestions post.
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
We all know we need someone of Finucanes Ilk to lead the way.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.
If the next Finucane is out there who is he?

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

isaiha papali’i from Parra is on 150K and is playing like a 500K back rower.

More impressive than his stats, is this below extract.
‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Our guys probably have their headphones in during the video sessions.

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

So...if it was good enough for Harry Grant to turn up to his 1st video session with his headphones on, our boys thought we'll do the same.
So its actually Harry's fault all our boys now wear their headphones full time eh!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399741) said:
@weststigerman said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399734) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399723) said:
@bagnf05 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399712) said:
@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399710) said:
Although instead of being bombarded by talk of all chapters I wanted to focus on what the current narrative is on what the tigers need.
But if taking into consideration what Gordon Talis and Joey Johns have suggested. Maybe there is the next Finucane out there and we need to look for him instead.
If Finucane is a certain way as a person, and his professional approach is second to none what’s to say that his developed that over time?
More so maybe it’s been within his character from the beginning. Desire and dedication is personality trait not a skill.

A player I like the look of is Brodie Jones at Newcastle. Don’t know a lot about him other then his a country boy from Maitland. He is second season is 23 and is a lock / backrower. But his 80min game in the centre’s against the sharks was an absolute stand out for mine. Been in the 17 all year so appears to be rated well by the coaching staff.

So I’m curious, what other players do you guys think could be a suitable alternative?

‘The Eels have been rapped with his attention to detail and professionalism in terms of training, often showing up at video sessions with a notebook and a pen.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur was full of praise after Papali’i produced several game-defining moments in the Eels win over the Raiders.

“I’ve said it over and over so I sound like a broken record but I really enjoy coaching him,” Arthur said.

“He’s so professional. Everything he’s getting at the moment he’s deserved because he worked so hard in the pre-season.

“He’s so diligent, he’s got a willingness to learn and he likes playing around the team that we’ve got at the moment.’

I really can’t believe we didn’t look closer at him. I’m sure he was mentioned as a target by some of our insiders back last year...

He turned up to a video session with a notebook and a pen!?!? Groundbreaking stuff there.

Have you heard the story that the first video session Harry Grant attended with us, he did the same thing, the whole team was shocked. ‘Benji mentioned it on NRL 360’

Yeah I actually remember that. Footballers hey.

@magpies1963 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399931) said:

So...if it was good enough for Harry Grant to turn up to his 1st video session with his headphones on, our boys thought we'll do the same.
So its actually Harry's fault all our boys now wear their headphones full time eh!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

No mate. He turned up with a book and started to take notes.

@jadtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399818) said:

What you are suggesting is exactly what Madge/Hartigan are trying to do with bringing talented youngsters to the club.I probably wont get to see the benefit of it but younger supporters will.I am far more confident with the current process than throwing money at geriatrics looking for a pension which is what we have done since the merger

R U OK @jadtiger ?
Genuine question.

Quick Tigers. Get on Jones!

KNIGHTS MOVE TO LOCK IN BENCH WEAPON

It's been a mixed season for the Knights - but one of the big success stories has been energetic back-rower Brodie Jones.

An unknown last year when he debuted, Jones has been among the NRL's most improved players this season and rival clubs have taken note.

The 23-year-old back-rower is fast becoming one of the most effective bench players in the NRL, turning matches with his enthusiasm and drive.

Jones is off-contract in a few months and has attracted some nibbles from rival clubs.

But Knights coach Adam O'Brien has labelled Jones a "keeper" and expect the busy forward to put pen to paper on a new deal in coming weeks.

@jrtiger said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399918) said:
we've actually looked to find the diamond in the rough a few times in recent past. Daine Laurie, Asu Kepaoa, Shawn Blore, Luciano Leilua, Kelma Tuilagi. more often than not, they've come good. Pauga was pulled out of relative obscurity in Q Cup. Ky Rodwell was another. jury is out, but Oliver Gildart is coming from the other side of the world. Edene Gebbie and the rigmaroll involved to bring him across. we have actually made a lot of obscure signings.

we're actually quite good at doing it, and have done so in the past with Austin, Taupau etc. a guy like Smith-Shields or an Isaac Lumelume, who some ITK posters have said we are looking at signing are both in the same mould.

to be honest, I think our squad for next year looks pretty decent. we need another centre, but it sounds as if we're in the market for one. a back rower and lock is where we're looking to invest heavily, but apart from that, I think we're in a good spot. yes we got slapped by 60 a fortnight ago, but I don't think our edges are going to consist of the same players next year. if we can get players that are familiar with the defensive style that Madge wants to incorporate, we'll be far better for it and you'll see more results go our way.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

@tigerwest said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399925) said:
@sataris said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399921) said:

Tedesco et al.

Are you serious? That is rubbish talk.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399937) said:
@magpies1963 said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399931) said:

No mate. He turned up with a book and started to take notes.

Yeh I knew that mate...just a bit of fun.
Have a great rest of the day :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:
I'm waiting with baited breath for 4pm to roll around.
I thought I saw a note on my comp saying Latrell was out, or was I dreaming.

For what is worth these are guys that I would be signing if possible, Mathew Timoko,Xavier savage, Aisitasi James, Kurtis Motrin. Xavier savage and timokoI’d be offering at least $50000 more than what there on at raiders, the other 2 are ball playing young forwards, one has pace and is rock hard competitor, the other is similar to Keaon kelamatgi from Souths, both will play nrl next year guaranteed.

@sly said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1399997) said:
For what is worth these are guys that I would be signing if possible, Mathew Timoko,Xavier savage, Aisitasi James, Kurtis Motrin. Xavier savage and timokoI’d be offering at least $50000 more than what there on at raiders, the other 2 are ball playing young forwards, one has pace and is rock hard competitor, the other is similar to Keaon kelamatgi from Souths, both will play nrl next year guaranteed.

Which club/s currently?

Savage has just re-signed with raiders today.

I would be happy with Folau , he wouldn’t be any slower than any of the backs we have here now

I would be happy with Folau , he wouldn’t be any slower than any of the backs we have here now

@needaname said in [Searching for the Diamond in the rough\.](/post/1400120) said:

Which club/s currently?

Kurtis Motrin -dogs
Aisitasi James- Eels
Mathew Timoko - raiders
Xavier Savage- raiders

Back